My SL-SX500 is dead, I need a new player
Sep 28, 2002 at 4:36 AM Post #16 of 35
Onix...i emailed Grundig in Europe...they don't sell the 4101 here; apparently that's why i couldn't find it searching through the www...they not interested in marketing their PCDPs here...too much competition w/ the Japanese i guess

MAYBE, i'll go with the Panasonic 570...Philips is supposed to make a decent one w/ a line out, the AZ922517

this is still uncharted waters for me; SOONER or LATER (sooner), i'm gonna get just wet and just dive in! getting tired or looking

---Randy
rolleyes.gif

Sep 29, 2002 at 12:34 PM Post #17 of 35
Quote:

Originally posted by Advance Dog
Onix...i emailed Grundig in Europe...they don't sell the 4101 here; apparently that's why i couldn't find it searching through the www...they not interested in marketing their PCDPs here...too much competition w/ the Japanese i guess

MAYBE, i'll go with the Panasonic 570...Philips is supposed to make a decent one w/ a line out, the AZ922517

this is still uncharted waters for me; SOONER or LATER (sooner), i'm gonna get just wet and just dive in! getting tired or looking

---Randy
rolleyes.gif

Why don't you try the Radioshack? Acidtrip and Jeff Kiel are selling theirs. I would get one, but shipping to Mexico could be as much as getting a new player. Besides, I think I can score a new one, albeit for the list price of 70 bucks. Also, Lini is willing to send me a Grundig, and that woould be also around 70 dollars from Germany. So, I guess I'll have to make a decision soon
wink.gif

Sep 29, 2002 at 12:56 PM Post #18 of 35
Onix...i thought the 3904 was discontinued...Radioshack doesn't yield any results on their web site and there's mention of them no longer making them on one of the forums in here

---R
confused.gif

Sep 29, 2002 at 5:26 PM Post #19 of 35
Quote:

Onix...i thought the 3904 was discontinued...Radioshack doesn't yield any results on their web site and there's mention of them no longer making them on one of the forums in here

---R
confused.gif

True, true. But there are some left in stores in Mexico City, mabe even just a few dozens. They are very good, but since people is more willing to buy Sony or a 20 dollars CDP, they haven't dissapeared from all the stores yet. The only problem is that it would be sold for the regular price and not the discount it was offered in the U.S. before they stopped making it.

Sep 30, 2002 at 3:04 PM Post #20 of 35
I can't really say how good it is, but maybe you'll want to check this players:

http://www.kenwood.com/i/products/au...e/dpcx612.html

I tried the black one and the sound was good, but I can't comment on how it was compared to the Radioshack. It has 3 levels of antiskip: off, 10 seconds and 40 seconds. Has a line out and looks nice. I think I liked the sound better than my Pana.

Sep 30, 2002 at 5:30 PM Post #21 of 35
onix...well, they sure LOOK nice

at which store did you try this one?

went to that Kenwood USA site but not seeing those PCDPs...

will try a bit more...

maybe i DO need to reconsider the 3904

---R, still a little
confused.gif

Sep 30, 2002 at 5:53 PM Post #22 of 35
well, onix my man...i went searching for the Kenwood DPC-X612 Portable CD Player and its brethren

it seems the only thing that Kenwood sells north of our common river border in a PCDP is a overloaded WMA/MP3/CD anti-skipped to nausea player

you getting ALL the good stuff down there! WHATUPWIF DAT?

---R

Sep 30, 2002 at 7:47 PM Post #23 of 35
Quote:

well, onix my man...i went searching for the Kenwood DPC-X612 Portable CD Player and its brethren

it seems the only thing that Kenwood sells north of our common river border in a PCDP is a overloaded WMA/MP3/CD anti-skipped to nausea player

you getting ALL the good stuff down there! WHATUPWIF DAT?

---R

Well Randy, in Mexico we get all the stuff you guys do, only around half a year later. Besides, the contracted economy pushes people into buying cheaper stuff, like Coby and other unknown Chinese brands, instead of upper class components. And if you ad the fact that a $60 player in the U.S. costs around $120 in Mexico, that means that most products remain in the market for longer than they do in the U.S.

In any case, maybe you can find the Kenwood in a store. Or just go for the 3904. Jeff Kiel has one for sale rigth now. Take care and good luck man.
biggrin.gif

Sep 30, 2002 at 9:05 PM Post #24 of 35
The SL CT 570 seems to be no longer available. Just googled and got nothing about folks selling this unit (at least, nothing in English).

Anyone have suggestions for a decent PCDP with line out and/or optical out?

Thanks!
Bruce

Oct 1, 2002 at 3:14 AM Post #25 of 35
BRUCE...

from Headroom (headphone.com), i got this tidbit from the sales dude, Mike, that Philips made a decent one, and the only one, with a line-out; so i went to www.amazon.com and pulled it up on a search there ===>

Philips AZ922517

when i looked there were 3 left

A-dog

Oct 1, 2002 at 6:46 AM Post #26 of 35
Onix,

I saw a used Panasonic SL-SX500 at the pawn shop today. I did not check it for function yet. They are asking $99 CDN ($62 USD) but they said they are negotiable. I bet I could get it for around $50 USD. If you are interested, I could pick it up for you and ship it to you if you wanted to cover the shipping. I don't think it had any accessories with it which is so typical of pawn shops. Let me know if you are interested!
biggrin.gif

Oct 3, 2002 at 12:54 PM Post #27 of 35
Quote:

Originally posted by docmetal
Onix,

I saw a used Panasonic SL-SX500 at the pawn shop today. I did not check it for function yet. They are asking $99 CDN ($62 USD) but they said they are negotiable. I bet I could get it for around $50 USD. If you are interested, I could pick it up for you and ship it to you if you wanted to cover the shipping. I don't think it had any accessories with it which is so typical of pawn shops. Let me know if you are interested!
biggrin.gif

Hello again Doc! I'll have to think about it (is it the same one you saw on e-bay?). I'll let you know soon. Take care.

Oct 3, 2002 at 2:59 PM Post #28 of 35
Onix,

No this is a different one. I posted this message first then a day or so later I noticed the one on ebay. I picked up a a used SL-SX500 last week and find it to be quite a decent model for sound and line-out and the headphone out is ok to compared to many new models. I just thought you might want to replace it. I am new to collecting high-end and vintage pcdps so I was not so sure how difficult this model is to find. Thought I would let you know in case you are interested. No problem if you are not.
biggrin.gif

Oct 3, 2002 at 7:18 PM Post #29 of 35
Onix...and anybody who knoweth...

the Panasonic SL-SX500, how does this sound...since i am looking about among eBAY, pawn shops...dumpsters...for something cheaper, yet decent-sounding (isn't there anything out there new that's decent-sounding apart from the Pana 570??--geeez)

BTW, Onix...thanks for all the checking that you did for me; i didn't thank you properly for all your help...don't want to be coming off like an ingrate...cheapskate, however...THAT's OKAY

A-dog/Randy
biggrin.gif

Oct 3, 2002 at 7:27 PM Post #30 of 35
Quote:

Onix...and anybody who knoweth...

the Panasonic SL-SX500, how does this sound...since i am looking about among eBAY, pawn shops...dumpsters...for something cheaper, yet decent-sounding (isn't there anything out there new that's decent-sounding apart from the Pana 570??--geeez)

BTW, Onix...thanks for all the checking that you did for me; i didn't thank you properly for all your help...don't want to be coming off like an ingrate...cheapskate, however...THAT's OKAY

A-dog/Randy
biggrin.gif

Hey Randy, no need to apologize
biggrin.gif
. The SL-SX500 is very nice. I allways wondered why it wasn't up there with the 470 and the 570. The sound from the headphone out is as good as it gets and the line out is very nice. It's solid, but I liked the 3904 better. But that doesn't mean is a bad player or anything. It is actually very good. Maybe you can hook up with Docmetal, who has one. He's willing to send it to me, but the whole process is complicated. Maybe he can send it to you instead. That would be easier for you both than for me. Take care Randy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back