My Singlepower Supra Experience - Why mine almost blew up like a Hand Grenade (and yours might too)
Aug 1, 2009 at 1:02 AM Post #106 of 314
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tried to open mine this afternoon and can't get the hex screws undone. I have the right size hex key, but the size is so small that when I try to turn the screw, it doesn't budge, and it's torquing the key and it's going to break if I push it too far. I tried three screws and gave up.

Yup. Did the same with my Extreme. I just wanted to open it to take some pics of what I saw. I too have the right size key, but no go.

Didn't even try the MPX3.

Right now I am listening to the Decware CSP-2, though, and I'm not worrying too much about my SP amps for the moment
wink.gif

Aug 1, 2009 at 1:07 AM Post #107 of 314
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would not worry quite as much about the MPX3 as a Supra.

The power transformer on the MPX3 is much lower voltage than the Supra and FAR less likely to present excessive voltage to the caps. This is of course assuming you have a stock MPX3: The supra transformer is a more expensive part so its not likely it "just got slipped in there" without being billed. to add to that, without the mods done to the PS the supra transformer would blow a stock MPX3 ps to the moon on the first startup.

To those looking to crack their amps and poke about: There are caps in the SP amps that never discharge. They are the output caps. If you dont know how to find them based on that, dont crack your amp. Some of the other jokes of a circuit that we have on Head-Fi have the same problem so please dont point fingers... at least the output caps in most SP amps are 470uf.

Depending on your (lack of) luck, the main PS caps may not actually have proper bleeder resistors either, and will consequently hold a charge as mentioned as well. If you are not prepared to properly discharge and double check every single part, with the possibility of finding 200-500V hanging out in a large cap, dont open the amp.

Another voice of reason. And good advice. If you have to open
your amp, just take pictures and don't touch a thing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Indeed, I have been thinking about this - we should avoid mass hysteria here, but quite honestly there is enough reason to be concerned that having the potential issues be known is very important. Any individual will of course be at his/her liberty to assess his/her own personal risk tolerance level.

Too right Skylab. Hysteria will solve nothing. All owners who are
concerned about their ownership of an SP amp should get it inspected
by a professional. There will no doubt be some horror stories.
There will also be happy endings I'll wager.

Quote:

Did we ever come up with a list of people that could service these amps? I remember we started a Singlepower owners registry, with a view towards finding out how many people owned the amps and identifying people to service them, but the registry basically just lists some of the owners.

I wonder if we should start a new thread with a list of people that could check out and service these amps? Maybe we could settle on one or two folks with experience who would agree to service them, which might be more efficient for all of us, given economies of scale, and the one or two repair places might make a little money from repeat business. Does this make sense or not?

This makes perfect sense and should be done as a matter of course
by those who are able to. Looking for a suitable tech in the UK....

Aug 1, 2009 at 1:13 AM Post #108 of 314
Quote:

Originally Posted by TreAdidas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here we go... this is more like it.

Ok did you ever figure out what caused this? Any more information? Did the amp ever work again? What did you do?

If I had to guess I'd say that Mikhail was using a transformer that was way under spec for the job.

Aug 1, 2009 at 1:56 AM Post #109 of 314
Quote:

Here we go... this is more like it.

Ok did you ever figure out what caused this? Any more information? Did the amp ever work again? What did you do?

Transformer was running out of specs.

Quote:

I tried to open mine this afternoon and can't get the hex screws undone. I have the right size hex key, but the size is so small that when I try to turn the screw, it doesn't budge, and it's torquing the key and it's going to break if I push it too far. I tried three screws and gave up.

Quote:

Yup. Did the same with my Extreme. I just wanted to open it to take some pics of what I saw. I too have the right size key, but no go.

Didn't even try the MPX3.

You guys need a 1/16th allen wrench and going from memory, all you have to unscrew are the 2 screws from the front plate and another 2 from the back plate which should be very very easy to do. The ones on top are for securing the pcb board onto the chassis and they're almost impossible to unscrew.

Aug 1, 2009 at 1:57 AM Post #110 of 314
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You guys need a 1/16th allen wrench and going from memory, all you have to unscrew are the 2 screws from the front plate and another 2 from the back plate which should be very very easy to do. The ones on top are for securing the pcb board onto the chassis and they're almost impossible to unscrew.

Have it, tried it, no dice
frown.gif

Aug 1, 2009 at 2:06 AM Post #111 of 314
Quote:

Transformer was running out of specs

Was this due to the tube choice or the components in the amp? I realize that amp was billed as being a tube roller's delight but Mikhail has made a lot of fantastic claims to a lot of people.

Aug 1, 2009 at 2:10 AM Post #112 of 314
Quote:

Was this due to the tube choice or the components in the amp? I realize that amp was billed as being a tube roller's delight but Mikhail has made a lot of fantastic claims to a lot of people.

It was all the transformer's fault.
wink.gif

Aug 1, 2009 at 2:14 AM Post #113 of 314
Quote:

It was all the transformer's fault.
wink.gif

haha. ok ok I buy it
smily_headphones1.gif

Ya know I hear the safety concerns... but I gotta say. I've had the headphones on, had a nice beer
beerchug.gif
, and am truly enjoying the music my MPX3 is making right now.

Anyhoo... anyone else crack open their amp and have any atrocious pictures?

Aug 1, 2009 at 2:27 AM Post #114 of 314
Quote:

Have it, tried it, no dice
frown.gif

Well, you don't actually have to open the Extreme. You can't see any wiring inside. You would have to unmount the pcb board in order to see the wiring since everything's packed between the bottom chassis and the pcb board. Furthermore, that's the only way to get to the transformer. And taking out the pcb board means unsoldering a lot of stuff too.
tongue.gif

Actually, here's how the Extreme looks under the hood like if you just open the top chassis:

dscf3883.jpg

dscf3884s.jpg

dscf3881.jpg

Aug 1, 2009 at 2:33 AM Post #115 of 314
Quote:

haha. ok ok I buy it
smily_headphones1.gif

Ya know I hear the safety concerns... but I gotta say. I've had the headphones on, had a nice beer
beerchug.gif
, and am truly enjoying the music my MPX3 is making right now.
...SNIP....

Same here, nice bottle of Merlot
atsmile.gif

Just added some NOS Tung-sol 5687 D getters around 5 hours ago.

Where do you start when describing the sound?

I would never have imagined sound like this was possible before my MPX3.

Aug 1, 2009 at 2:56 AM Post #117 of 314
I was also having trouble opening up my Extreme (the top hex screws were way too tight) but having read moonboy's post, I unscrewed the two screws on each panel (which were reasonably fastened to the case) and got it open. It looks like my Extreme is the circuit board version purchased in February of 07.

High res: http://picasaweb.google.com/mher9390...ePowerExtreme#

Any obvious problems?

Aug 1, 2009 at 2:58 AM Post #118 of 314
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it the P2P units having such a mess or are the PCB units also having the same issues?

So far the only PCB issues I have come across are the browning circuit boards. Nothing like what has been described in this thread.

If someone knows otherwise please chime in.

Aug 1, 2009 at 3:02 AM Post #119 of 314
Quote:

Originally Posted by thathertz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Same here, nice bottle of Merlot
atsmile.gif

Just added some NOS Tung-sol 5687 D getters around 5 hours ago.

Where do you start when describing the sound?

I would never have imagined sound like this was possible before my MPX3.

OH wow... don't tease me.... I start by saying "liquid"
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 1, 2009 at 3:05 AM Post #120 of 314
Quote:

I tried loosening the three screws on the front plate. Could not budge any of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back