My Singlepower Supra Experience - Why mine almost blew up like a Hand Grenade (and yours might too)
Jul 31, 2009 at 12:54 AM Post #16 of 314
Quote:

Originally Posted by TreAdidas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can someone break this down in layman's terms? Joules volts etc. mean very little to me. Not a technical fellow just a music lover.

Ok mismatched power supply and caps... I got it. Not sure how this equates to something blowing up like hand grenades and a headphone amp being dangerous to use.

Just curious. Thanks.

What is a Joule?

That page may or may not help...

Peete.

Jul 31, 2009 at 1:03 AM Post #17 of 314
Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you feed a cap a voltage higher than its rated input, it can overload the cap and cause it to explode. When you feed a cap 25% more voltage than it is rated for, it can explode violently.

It would surprise me that a 25% variance could cause such a catastrophic result. I'm not saying it is ok and parts should be properly matched. It is just surprising. If you were talking 100% or 200% then yeah ok. Kaboom. But 25%? It would just appear that if this was a serious safety issue it would have surfaced by now. ::shrugs::

Again it ain't right... but a serious safety hazard?

Jul 31, 2009 at 1:20 AM Post #19 of 314
Ugh...should I have the same worry about my MPX3?

Jul 31, 2009 at 1:49 AM Post #21 of 314
And every other SP amp owner. Is there a means to have all the designs reviewed by competent members to know what extent our members may be in ownership of a serious hazard?

This blows big time.

Jul 31, 2009 at 2:00 AM Post #22 of 314
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there a means to have all the designs reviewed by competent members to know what extent our members may be in ownership of a serious hazard?

Unfortunately no. So much of what Mikhail did was "custom" and even amps that are seemingly the same on the outside may have significant differences on the inside.

And sadly the MPX3 may not be the worst of it.

Jul 31, 2009 at 2:02 AM Post #23 of 314
I've taken my Extreme "out of service". It's now an expensive sculpture. I guess the MPX3 will have to go sit next to it and just look pretty. Time to move the Decware CSP-2 from the office to the bedroom, I guess.

Jul 31, 2009 at 2:17 AM Post #27 of 314
Another chapter in the never ending saga of SinglePowPow. Mikhail certainly has left his mark here on Head-Fi.

Jul 31, 2009 at 2:18 AM Post #28 of 314
I'm with vcoheda on this one: how can we trust opinions on gear, when people said that the various Singlepowers sound so wonderful?

What else are folks terribly wrong about?

Jul 31, 2009 at 2:21 AM Post #29 of 314
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So Extremes are dangerous as well?

Some are definitely known to have issues. All I will say for right now (I have a rather lengthy post I've been working on for literally weeks) is that I would never, ever, under any circumstance leave a Singlepower amp on and unattended.

Jul 31, 2009 at 2:21 AM Post #30 of 314
I have a SP Supra that I have been using for the last 5 years without issue. Is there really a danger associated with continuing to use these amps? If the amp has been used without issue for 5 years, what is the likelihood of it "exploding like a hand grenade."

P.S. And thanks, Tyson, for bringing the issue to our attention. Regardless of what the degree of actual risk is, it's good to be aware of this issue.

P.P.S. And I don't see what sound quality has to do with this at all. Can we keep that issue out of this thread so we can deal with the more important issue?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back