My Singlepower Supra Experience - Why mine almost blew up like a Hand Grenade (and yours might too)
Aug 2, 2009 at 7:47 PM Post #196 of 314

n_maher

Resistorous Conflagorous
Joined
Nov 20, 2004
Posts
8,405
Likes
31
Quote:

Originally Posted by agreenspan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi all, I've really enjoyed reading this thread. I purchased an extreme with upgrades last year


Stephen, please post a picture of the top of the amp and measure the transformer enclosure and post the dimensions. I can't tell 100% based on the wire colors on the inside of your amp what is going on.
 
Aug 2, 2009 at 8:05 PM Post #199 of 314

John D.

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 9, 2007
Posts
768
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why wasn't that thread made a sticky for people to have that knowledge? It might have made people re-consider their SP purchase.


According to Phil, the thread was shut down, seems that these discussions are not encouraged. And yes, my purchase of a SP amp might have been influnced if i had read that thread.
 
Aug 2, 2009 at 8:07 PM Post #200 of 314

Happy Camper

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Oct 27, 2006
Posts
9,053
Likes
283
Location
STL area
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thathertz, there was also a lengthy thread in 2004, which expresses many of the same concerns set forth in this thread regarding safety issues relating to SP amps, including the potential shock hazard. Indeed, I seem to recall that several predicted back in 2004 that SP amp owners were in danger and that one or more SP amp owners would likely receive serious electrical shocks within the near future.

Anyway, I point this out as you might want to check out that thread for additional issues and discussion in your search for information (it was the one eventually closed by jude in October 2004, so he has the last post). It also gives you some background on the issues, and demonstrates that this issue (or certain aspects of it ) has existed for a long time, which cuts a lot of different ways, I guess.

Disclaimer: Nothing said herein is intended to imply that SP amps are not a safety hazard or that anybody should or should not take certain action with respect to their particular amp.
normal_smile .gif



Why wasn't that thread stickied for members knowledge? It might have saved many of our members the grief they are now going through.
 
Aug 2, 2009 at 8:15 PM Post #201 of 314

PhilS

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jul 17, 2004
Posts
3,158
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by John D. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
According to Phil, the thread was shut down, seems that these discussions are not encouraged.


I don't think that is the case at all. I think the problem is that the discussions in the past got out of hand, and instead of consisting of exchanges of factual information, they become very acrimonious p*ssing contests. I think we're better at avoiding that nowadays, due to early and frequent intervention from the mods on subsequent occasions, so hopefully this thread will remain objective and informative (and open).
regular_smile .gif
 
Aug 2, 2009 at 8:34 PM Post #202 of 314

thathertz

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 21, 2008
Posts
434
Likes
14
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thathertz, there was also a lengthy thread in 2004, which expresses many of the same concerns set forth in this thread regarding safety issues relating to SP amps, including the potential shock hazard. Indeed, I seem to recall that several predicted back in 2004 that SP amp owners were in danger and that one or more SP amp owners would likely receive serious electrical shocks within the near future.

Anyway, I point this out as you might want to check out that thread for additional issues and discussion in your search for information (it was the one eventually closed by jude in October 2004, so he has the last post). It also gives you some background on the issues, and demonstrates that this issue (or certain aspects of it ) has existed for a long time, which cuts a lot of different ways, I guess.

Disclaimer: Nothing said herein is intended to imply that SP amps are not a safety hazard or that anybody should or should not take certain action with respect to their particular amp.
normal_smile .gif



Thanks Phil, I'll check out that thread.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After 1 hour, the trafo on the MPX3 is so hot that I can't touch it for more than 3-4 seconds.


Same here. And mine is on the shelf also.

Just to set the record straight:

I love the sound of my amp.
I think Mikhail is despicable for what he's done - I could go on and on
but only a fool would think I'm an SP supporter.
I had already decided to get my amp looked at. I'm just trying to get
information about the issues and see how they affect me / my amp.

Spritzer, are you trying to stir things up?
 
Aug 2, 2009 at 8:45 PM Post #203 of 314

kevin gilmore

Señor Stax. Señor MAXX.
Can Jam '10 Organizer
Joined
Jun 21, 2001
Posts
2,888
Likes
581
agreenspan's amp looks like a slightly different transformer wired in the same
awful way. Probably a 266pa12. Reason is that the nominally .15 ohm filament
resistor is now .025 ohm. So its 6V instead of 6.3V.

Quote:

Spritzer, are you trying to stir things up?


Spritzer is still upset that one month later he is still putting the
final repairs on his ES1. Told him I did that it was going to be a
LOT of work... And he is nowhere near as fast as I am.
biggrin.gif
 
Aug 2, 2009 at 9:49 PM Post #204 of 314

spritzer

Member of the Trade: Mjölnir Audio
Joined
Aug 22, 2002
Posts
10,055
Likes
141
Quote:

Originally Posted by thathertz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Spritzer, are you trying to stir things up?


Nah, it's just sad to see this crap come up time and time again when it could have been avoided so easily.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevin gilmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Spritzer is still upset that one month later he is still putting the
final repairs on his ES1. Told him I did that it was going to be a
LOT of work... And he is nowhere near as fast as I am.
biggrin.gif



Don't rub it in!!!
redface.gif
The work hasn't even begun since when I'm done troubleshooting I'll rip it all apart to build the amp again from scratch.
regular_smile .gif
 
Aug 3, 2009 at 12:54 AM Post #206 of 314

Skylab

Reviewerus Prolificus
Joined
Apr 30, 2005
Posts
21,807
Likes
1,016
Location
The Court of the Crimson King
If anyone is interested in buying my working MPX3 quite cheap, who fully understands these issues and knows that they will need to do some work on it to make it sand and sound, PM me. I'm going to try to find a way to salvage my Extreme, but there is no way I am going to do a salvage job on 2 amps.

I am posting this here since I don't want to run a FS ad - I only want buyers who know what they are getting into. Mods, please feel free to delete this post if not allowed.
 
Aug 3, 2009 at 1:28 AM Post #208 of 314

n_maher

Resistorous Conflagorous
Joined
Nov 20, 2004
Posts
8,405
Likes
31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why wasn't that thread...


Quote:

Originally Posted by John D. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
According to Phil...


Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think that...


Guys, let's try to keep these threads on topic and helpful to owner's who are stuck with a problem they don't deserve. Bringing up threads that are 5yrs old now isn't going to help anyone. If you want to discuss those threads please start a new topic.
 
Aug 3, 2009 at 1:32 AM Post #209 of 314

n_maher

Resistorous Conflagorous
Joined
Nov 20, 2004
Posts
8,405
Likes
31
Quote:

Originally Posted by agreenspan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found some of the specs for my amp that I posted pics of. It is a 14 amp Extreme with Black Gate cathode capacitors. Revision B circuit.
Hopefully this will help.
Thanks,
Stephen.



Stephen,
Do you think that you can safely get at the two fasteners that hold down your amp's transformer cover? They are the two socket head bolts, one of which I can clearly see in your previous photos. The other of which should be in the opposite corner of the trafo cover. No real meaningful analysis of what might be wrong can be done without finding out what transformer Mikhail used on your amp and the enclosure appears to be different than the one I looked at for Gary (moonboy).
 
Aug 3, 2009 at 1:48 AM Post #210 of 314

Happy Camper

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Oct 27, 2006
Posts
9,053
Likes
283
Location
STL area
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guys, let's try to keep these threads on topic and helpful to owner's who are stuck with a problem they don't deserve. Bringing up threads that are 5yrs old now isn't going to help anyone. If you want to discuss those threads please start a new topic.


We are owners that are stuck with this problem we don't deserve. What can we learn today that others aren't stuck with similar problems five years from now?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top