My silver cable is turning green!
Oct 19, 2008 at 7:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

sickofforumnames

New Head-Fier
The cable on my Super.fi 5 pro's are turning green, starting from the earphone connectors. I presume it is oxidation, but will it affect the sound in time or is it normal? Or am I the only one?

Oct 19, 2008 at 7:58 PM Post #2 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by sickofforumnames /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The cable on my Super.fi 5 pro's are turning green, starting from the earphone connectors. I presume it is oxidation, but will it affect the sound in time or is it normal? Or am I the only one?

1.) Yes, it is oxidation

2.) No, it shouldn't affect the sound

3.) It shouldn't be THAT normal, depending on how old the cable is

Oct 19, 2008 at 10:34 PM Post #4 of 15
It's normal unfortunately.

If you have left your phones in a damp area for any length of time, this is very likely to happen.

I left my old SF3 cable in my basement for several months, and the cable is now entirely green.

Oct 20, 2008 at 12:21 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by wuwhere /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oxidation is like a coating of resistance. Since we are dealing with small voltages, it will have some effect electrically. If I were you, I would clean it off.

I think he is referring to the wire inside the cable.

The problem might be that the silver (or another metal?) on the cable was electroplated on and is very thin, unlike high quality wire which has the silver placed by extrusion.

Oct 20, 2008 at 12:37 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by skamp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Yay for overpriced cables.

He's referring to the stock cable which is silver in color. It probably is plated with nickel or some other metal (not doing its job very well I might add).

Oct 20, 2008 at 2:11 AM Post #9 of 15
It's not silver and it happened to my UE custom which was clear. The internal wire turned green. While it did not affect the sound I did purchase a new cable in black to avoid the problem.

Oct 20, 2008 at 12:37 PM Post #11 of 15
Iron (II) oxide?
tongue.gif
since it's green.

Oct 21, 2008 at 3:00 AM Post #14 of 15
how could you form carbonate that way...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back