my shures spoiled me
Oct 1, 2007 at 12:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Sheynkman

100+ Head-Fier
So Ive been using my se500s pretty exclusively for the past while (almost since release) and love how they sound unamped (between my laptop phone etc etc i dont wanna be carrying another $ device....remember the "how much are you worth walking around thread?)

Well...recent trip home and I left my Shures up in Chi and took my ooold sony cd160s to starbucks to listen to some Roots while writing up "stuff" (or posting here/facebook instead of finishing my essay)

Point is... these things are awful and should go back to the box-o-wires-and-crap I found them at. I would really like a set of big sealed headphones with punchy bass (and good sound overall...I listen to old school hip hop as well as a lot of electronic music).

Here is the trick...these comfy sealed headphones need to be driven by my ultraportable laptop and or a regular mp3 player. Price is not a huge factor as long as it is sealed and is driven easily...should be durable too (I dont have issues with not paying hure $ for phones either....if there are 40 dollar cans that do this then awesome). Grado RS1s sealed i think would be perfect for this application if they existed.

Thank for all the help guys...been off for a while (wallet recovery period).

Oct 1, 2007 at 1:37 AM Post #2 of 14
ohhh yeah i know what you mean. after my E500's I've become spoiled. Though I must say, my HD650's sound better... but are totally no where near portable what so ever. I would not want to be seen with them on in public, basically.

Oct 1, 2007 at 1:42 AM Post #3 of 14
I have the Beyer DT990's in the 80 ohm version and they seem to drive pretty well directly from an ipod. I normally use an amp, but they are pretty good without it. You might want to check out a few low impedence versions of headphones that are available.

Oct 1, 2007 at 1:44 AM Post #5 of 14
You want Sennheiser HD25-1 II

I just added some to my arsenal for $99.74 shipped from buy.com

Cheaper are Beyer DT231 which sound every bit as good for $49, but while they are sealed/closed cans they don't block a lot of sound from the outside like the Senn's do.

They are both not hard to travel with, and are pretty durable.

Oct 1, 2007 at 1:45 AM Post #6 of 14
Yikes, I'm composing the first post to this thread, watching football, hit the send button and 5 other guys sneak in ahead of me
eek.gif

Oct 1, 2007 at 4:13 AM Post #8 of 14
what about these new ATs?

audio-technica-headphones.jpg

SPECS:
Frequency response: 5-35,000 Hz
Impedance: 42 Ohms
Max. Input Power: 1000mW
Sensitivity: 103dB
Plug: Mini/Standard Gold plated
Cord length: 1.2m (Single) (OFC)
Net weight (without cord): 170g

you think they are drivable? (though 370 is def. a premium for that "special" wood)

Oct 1, 2007 at 11:31 AM Post #10 of 14
many people would say ive been spoily by the e500 also but im only e500 mad because everything i have tried sont get close to the warmth and beauty of the sound the e500 gives for something like reggae.

i thought about purchasing full size cans but im holding off because i rarely listen while sitting on my butt

Oct 1, 2007 at 6:32 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

i thought about purchasing full size cans but im holding off because i rarely listen while sitting on my butt

ah see.... these are supposed to be super comfy for sitting in a big arm chair/couch

Oct 1, 2007 at 6:43 PM Post #12 of 14
You could also add the Denon AH-D1000 to your list, but they are supra-aural.

If you don't mind having a gigantic pair of headphones on your head, I think I've read that the Audio-Technica ATH-A900 sound good. They're somewhat expensive, though.

Beyerdynamic DT 770 maybe? They're kind of big, but supposedly comfortable and not too hard to drive (the 80 Ohm version).

Oct 2, 2007 at 1:33 AM Post #14 of 14
I don't know of a list of low impedence phones or even a list of manufacturers that make then. You might try a Head-fi search on a couple of key words such as "low impedence", 80 ohm, 32 ohm, etc.

It might be more fun just to browse the web sites of the usual suspects - Sennheiser, Beyerdynamics, Sony, AT, etc.

Sorry I couldn't help. Good luck with your search.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back