My Sennheiser Momentum's chords have crapped out. Tired of these headphones. I want new ones.
Oct 7, 2014 at 6:45 PM Post #16 of 23
Will having tons of bass really improve the sound quality when you're listening to something like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOsigNL2oOk

I hear innerfidelity talking about the v-moda as if they were good headphones for electronic music. I don't listen to any electronic music.Same problem with that yamaha headphone. I just don't know how comfortable I am going for headphones with a colored sound. I don't want to go with something like the sennheiser momentum again, because it was so damn boring. So maybe a little coloration is natural to like? Innerfidelity said that it's a good headphone for contemporary music, but he seemed to be pretty damn genre specific when he said that.

Pretty much every headphone on this thread has a good amount of coloration. The momentum clearly has the least coloration and people barely ever complain about the soundstage( unless you' re just used to the hd650)

Oct 7, 2014 at 7:13 PM Post #17 of 23
Pretty much every headphone on this thread has a good amount of coloration. The momentum clearly has the least coloration and people barely ever complain about the soundstage( unless you' re just used to the hd650)

I guess I just want something that packs a heavier punch. I don't think people around these parts are accustomed to the kind of punch I'm used to. I like ear blasting metal and punk, and I see people who are all about dat BASS talking about electronic music. So do you see the discrepancy here? That's what I'm concerned about.

Oct 7, 2014 at 9:40 PM Post #18 of 23
  I guess I just want something that packs a heavier punch. I don't think people around these parts are accustomed to the kind of punch I'm used to. I like ear blasting metal and punk, and I see people who are all about dat BASS talking about electronic music. So do you see the discrepancy here? That's what I'm concerned about.

I think it would be fine as long as it doesn't have complaints with slower or sloppier bass. The yamaha pro 500 definitely does not have the measurements of an ULTRABASSHEAD can.

Its a little bassy but the square wave measurements seem to show a pretty punchy headphone according to innerfidelity's guide on reading the square waves
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/YamahaPro500.pdf

Oct 7, 2014 at 10:25 PM Post #19 of 23
Momentum and NAD Viso HP50 both have a laid back sound sig, clearly not suitable for your genres, idk about the yamaha, but if it doesn't have some nice treble sparkle, its probably not a great choice either. That being said, I don't know. based on what I know, I think the V-Moda M100s are right up your alley. I think they're less than 300 on Amazon right now.

Oct 7, 2014 at 10:42 PM Post #20 of 23
  Momentum and NAD Viso HP50 both have a laid back sound sig, clearly not suitable for your genres, idk about the yamaha, but if it doesn't have some nice treble sparkle, its probably not a great choice either. That being said, I don't know. based on what I know, I think the V-Moda M100s are right up your alley. I think they're less than 300 on Amazon right now.

M-100s would be my choice if someone put a gun to my head and told me to choose right now. I think they do custom engravings for free so I would want to get it from the V-Moda website so I can put this badass antimusic logo on the headphones  I'm not sure if this would be big enough to put on the headphones though. This is the largest size of this image I could find on the web. I went to a website with all sorts of punk logos and stuff like this and this was the best one I could find.

Oct 8, 2014 at 8:12 AM Post #21 of 23
What about mad dog by mr speaker? That would be my option if it weren't for the 50 ohms. That's 15 ohms more than the hifiman he-400 and those are described as difficult to dive, and they're both planar magnetic headphones. So I doubt it would be a good match for my purposes.

Oct 9, 2014 at 12:44 AM Post #23 of 23
  What about mad dog by mr speaker? That would be my option if it weren't for the 50 ohms. That's 15 ohms more than the hifiman he-400 and those are described as difficult to dive, and they're both planar magnetic headphones. So I doubt it would be a good match for my purposes.

The also have a laidback sound signature, and the bass is, IMO, too thick for the metal and hard rock. The only other possible recommendations I could think of are ATH-M50X (fairly balanced, more so than V-Moda, enough treble and not too much bass for rock, though not as big soundstage as M100) or PSB M4U1 (slightly more neutral bass than M50X, Big soundstage, though has Beats-ish appearance)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back