my sax video on u-tube - need recording help
Oct 25, 2008 at 9:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Jbucla2005

1000+ Head-Fier
just got an ART MP tube studio projects that I am using with an E-mu 1212M and a studio projects b1 mic (old kind.) Instead of a mic cable, I'm using a 6' hosa xlr interconnect, and using a monster cable studiolink xlr - phono from the ART pre to the sound card. Of course the sound is not as good as if I used ASIO, but I made a youtube video with my webcam so this is not possible unless I recorded the sound seperately... anyway I'm very pleased with the sound of the ART pre over my Presonus stuff (Tube Pre and Blue Tube) with this mic. The ART has a USB input too which is nice but it sounds better going through the E-mu. Here it is:

Any suggestions? Do I need to use a "mic cable" or is a regular XLR interconnect okay? Any benefit to tube rolling the ART? One other question, when connecting a balanced output from the ART to the E-mu, is there any reason I should be selecting +4db for the input? Isn't that for balanced? Because it doesn't seem to work right and I have a feeling the balanced cable is functioning as an unbalanced.... In which case, I don't need a balanced cable so... if anyone has any idea, please help me! Thanks.

Oct 26, 2008 at 10:40 PM Post #2 of 4
If you were thinking of investing in any mew microphone, you could look at one of those ones that clips to the bell of the sax. It may have been you leaning over to read the music, or trying to lean in a bit to get the sound into the mic, but your posture looks like you are unnaturally forwards to me...

Other than that, I have no technical help to give you, but I liked the solo.

Oct 27, 2008 at 12:08 AM Post #3 of 4
thanks, well I rolled the tube of my mic pre and tweaked the settings, it sounds MUCH better now, here's a new video, not perfect playing but I am happy.
smily_headphones1.gif

YouTube - There Will Never Be Another You - Alto Sax

Users who are viewing this thread

Back