My roomate and I just got an HDTV
Mar 13, 2006 at 4:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

sisenor

500+ Head-Fier
It's a Sony KV-30xbr910. We got it from his parents who are moving. Anyway it's 1080i/480p capable. We only have standard cable so no HD tuner either. Anyway, what's the best right now 720p or do they have 1080p now? I just want to know what we're gonna get out of this thing..like will DVDs at least look better than they did with the old TV? What about our standard cable. Um, also, I thought I heard that you can receive HD signals from standard antenna broadcast. Is this true do we just need to get an antenna because I don't think we're going to go for sattellite HD right now? thank you

Mar 13, 2006 at 5:01 AM Post #3 of 21
Google for OTA HDTV or over-the-air hdtv for info about how to hook up an antenna. You will need a box to decode the Signal from your antenna.

Here has some link.
http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/hdrec.../hdtv_ota.html

From what I heard (I don't have first hand experienceI don't do OTA) indoor antenna like regular TV may work if the broadcast is in the same city where you live and has a strong signal. If the signal is weak or in an other city you need a big roof antenna

Mar 13, 2006 at 7:09 AM Post #6 of 21
Whether or not you will see a big difference depends on what TV you used to have. Assuming that you had a 4:3 TV, then right off the bat you will experience a big difference in terms of the amount of area you can now see since you have a 16:9 display. Now you can also take advantage of progressive scan (480p) w/ your dvd player if you opt to use the component (blue/red/green) connections, which will provide a nice improvement over your standard composite (yellow/white/red) cables. Note that your new TV doesn't have a built-in HD tuner, so you will not be able to receive HD broadcasts over the air as far as I know. You will need a seperate HD tuner. If you currently have a digital box from your cable company, you may just be able to swap out your box for one that has the built-in HD tuner at no extra charge. This is what I did when I got my HDTV.

Good luck!

Mar 13, 2006 at 7:18 AM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by SennFan
Whether or not you will see a big difference depends on what TV you used to have. Assuming that you had a 4:3 TV, then right off the bat you will experience a big difference in terms of the amount of area you can now see since you have a 16:9 display. Now you can also take advantage of progressive scan (480p) w/ your dvd player if you opt to use the component (blue/red/green) connections, which will provide a nice improvement over your standard composite (yellow/white/red) cables. Note that your new TV doesn't have a built-in HD tuner, so you will not be able to receive HD broadcasts over the air as far as I know. You will need a seperate HD tuner. If you currently have a digital box from your cable company, you may just be able to swap out your box for one that has the built-in HD tuner at no extra charge. This is what I did when I got my HDTV.

Good luck!

And will that box be compatible with OTO signals (if available to me) or only an HD subscription?

Mar 13, 2006 at 7:27 AM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by sisenor
And will that box be compatible with OTO signals (if available to me) or only an HD subscription?

If you have a digital box or get one, with the HD tuner built into it, you will simply recieve the signal through there.

To answer your question you will not have to pay extra for the basic HD channels for the major networks and so forth if you go the digital cable box route. They are free of charge with the digital cable package.

As far as antenna mounting and so forth check this out.

Hope this helps...

Mar 13, 2006 at 9:24 AM Post #9 of 21
Sisenor, what cable company do you have in your area? 30XBR910 is a very good tv, consider yourself very lucky. I got myself a 36xs955, one model newer than yours. Both tv got a built in tuner, I subscribed to basic comcast cable for only $15.00 a month. Instead of hooking up the cable to the cable box provided by comcast, I hook it up directly to the tv. I'm able to get all the basic local channel, several hdtv programming (NBC, WB, etc) and some xm channel, pm me if you need help. You don't need to get their digital cable box to get the hdtv programming (it will cost you at least $40-$50/month)
For DVD viewing, if you can get an upconverting DVD player, it will be very good. At least use the component connection (HDMI if your DVD player support it) Get your DVD player to output 1080i. If I'm not mistaken, your tv will upconvert 720p to 1080i. You can also ask AVS forum in Direct View (Single tube based) display forum, there should be a lot of information there for your tv

edit: I just noticed that you've said you got a standard cable already, split that cable, put one into your cable and the other directly into the tv, Your tv should be able to get some hdtv programming which not scrambled by your cable company (NBC, WB etc)

Mar 13, 2006 at 7:41 PM Post #12 of 21
RYCe Quote:

TSisenor, what cable company do you have in your area? 30XBR910 is a very good tv, consider yourself very lucky. I got myself a 36xs955, one model newer than yours. Both tv got a built in tuner, I subscribed to basic comcast cable for only $15.00 a month. Instead of hooking up the cable to the cable box provided by comcast, I hook it up directly to the tv.

It says on multiple sites that the 30XBR910 does not have a built in tuner from my understanding, which would make receiving HD broadcasts through their coax cable directly to their TV impossible--no?

Mar 13, 2006 at 9:21 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by SennFan
RYCe

It says on multiple sites that the 30XBR910 does not have a built in tuner from my understanding, which would make receiving HD broadcasts through their coax cable directly to their TV impossible--no?

My bad, I didn't know that 30xbr910 does not have a built in tuner.

Mar 13, 2006 at 9:25 PM Post #14 of 21
Congratulations. I wish I could have an HDTV.
frown.gif

Mar 27, 2006 at 5:09 AM Post #15 of 21
So, it looks like we're going to order DishHD as Comcast sucks and we'll pay about the same(we'll get ~30 HD channels
basshead.gif
). I don't think the TV has HDMI though which from what I understand means it won't be compatible w/ Bluray/PS3..that sucks. I was just wondering though, should--from the HD DVR--I use component or DVI or does it matter. Also, does 1080i look the same as 480p? I'm new to HD and not clear on this; is a HD channel broadcast at one of these levels, or can I choose which level to display it at on the TV?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back