My Review: Yuin PK1 Vs. UE Triple.Fi 10 Pro
Jul 28, 2008 at 2:27 AM Post #16 of 45
Hey Flavio, nice to see your (I think it is) first review!!
biggrin.gif

Thanks for that info, maybe I'll buy the PK1's in the future.
Hope you are doing great, my friend!

Jul 28, 2008 at 4:20 AM Post #19 of 45
Good review
smily_headphones1.gif

It's time for SE530 vs PK1 review
biggrin.gif

Jul 28, 2008 at 1:18 PM Post #21 of 45
Hey Flavio, good review!
I echo your feelings re the soundstage of the Yuins, but I feel this is due to the phones' nature, being an earbud. To get rid of the SS, just gently press the Yuins into your ears slightly = little to no soundstage. I think it's an inherent advantage open has over closed in both in-ear and fullsize HP's. Hell, my old KSC75 has more soundstage than any IEM I've heard...I'd still take IEMs tho
wink.gif

I do agree that the Yuins appear to have great separation & treble detail, judging by my OK1. Where I most disagree (for my ears) is over the sibilance issue...I've tried like heck to hear bad sibilance on Triples but I just don't hear it as you describe. Occasionally, yes, but nothing painful or consistent. Page & Krauss 'Raising Sand' (FLAC/iRiverH140/RSA Hornet) for example, (& dear old Robert can record as a very sibilant singer IMO):
I hear clear 's' sounds etc, but not sibilant '[size=xx-small]s[/size][size=x-large][size=xx-large]S[/size][size=large]S[/size][/size]ss'....there is occasional emphasis on some s's, but nothing that worries my dull old ears. In fact, the above album on the above set-up sounded absolutely wonderful on Triple Fi. I don't really listen to GnR or their genre of rawk music ('Knockin...' was good tho!), but I tried also with Black Sabbath (Paranoid CD), again ,despite Ozzy's, er, vocal talent, couldn't hear bad sibilance....didn't hear it at all, in fact.

I do think the OK1 is a marvellous performer & a definite keeper, but it just doesn't have as many uses for me as my IEMs -it's no good in bed (steady..... I mean the 'chk chk chk' leakage, drives my wife nuts, understandably), no good on bus/train (nil isolation plus that annoying leakage) etc. Where I want to contrast OK1, is with my full size cans for listening at home. Out of a Linn system. That could be very educational.

And I do agree = drums!
biggrin.gif

OK1's do give a great feeling of acoustic space to each instrument, but I find you have to listen in a quiet environment to get the benefit of this quality. When I wear them out on the street, or on the bike, nix. I tend to not listen at loud levels, maybe if I did....but then I'd be mutton n jeff in a year.

I am happy, very happy to have both Triple Fi and OK1 for the many situatuons I listen to music in. And I'd recommend either without a doubt!

EDIT\ @ Faichu -I wouldn't hold out much hope for an in-ear for PK1, if the OK1-as-canalphone is anything to go by. It makes a great earbud merely an okayish IEM.

Edit\ sorry -disjointed: hit the wrong button and posted too early. Doh.

Jul 28, 2008 at 3:43 PM Post #22 of 45
Not trying to hijack the thread, but I have to agree on the OK 1-2-3 situation. I can't really find a good place to use the OK3s I have, as much as they are very good basic ear buds. When I walk with them on, the tend to loosen up in the ear, which is frustrating (having to adjust them constantly it seems).

For IEM-style isolation and best SQ, I use the Sleeks. For times when I need to "hear" the outside world, I tried both the OK3s and the Sony EX082s (modded) here at the beach (wanted to hear the ocean of course), and the Sonys, with Comply T400s, are preferable - both soundwise (I know, heresy) and comfort/fit wise. Unlike you Steve, I may have to sell the OK3s cause I just can't find a good situation in which to use them (I use my SR80s at home when I want to listen with open phones).

Anyway, I wanted to just toss in my two cents about the usability of ear buds, even though the Yuins (and other brands) have really lifted their SQ levels in the past couple of years.

Jul 28, 2008 at 10:49 PM Post #23 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by steviebee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Flavio, good review!
I echo your feelings re the soundstage of the Yuins, but I feel this is due to the phones' nature, being an earbud. To get rid of the SS, just gently press the Yuins into your ears slightly = little to no soundstage. I think it's an inherent advantage open has over closed in both in-ear and fullsize HP's. Hell, my old KSC75 has more soundstage than any IEM I've heard...I'd still take IEMs tho
wink.gif

I do agree that the Yuins appear to have great separation & treble detail, judging by my OK1. Where I most disagree (for my ears) is over the sibilance issue...I've tried like heck to hear bad sibilance on Triples but I just don't hear it as you describe. Occasionally, yes, but nothing painful or consistent. Page & Krauss 'Raising Sand' (FLAC/iRiverH140/RSA Hornet) for example, (& dear old Robert can record as a very sibilant singer IMO):
I hear clear 's' sounds etc, but not sibilant '[size=xx-small]s[/size][size=x-large][size=xx-large]S[/size][size=large]S[/size][/size]ss'....there is occasional emphasis on some s's, but nothing that worries my dull old ears. In fact, the above album on the above set-up sounded absolutely wonderful on Triple Fi. I don't really listen to GnR or their genre of rawk music ('Knockin...' was good tho!), but I tried also with Black Sabbath (Paranoid CD), again ,despite Ozzy's, er, vocal talent, couldn't hear bad sibilance....didn't hear it at all, in fact.

I do think the OK1 is a marvellous performer & a definite keeper, but it just doesn't have as many uses for me as my IEMs -it's no good in bed (steady..... I mean the 'chk chk chk' leakage, drives my wife nuts, understandably), no good on bus/train (nil isolation plus that annoying leakage) etc. Where I want to contrast OK1, is with my full size cans for listening at home. Out of a Linn system. That could be very educational.

And I do agree = drums!
biggrin.gif

OK1's do give a great feeling of acoustic space to each instrument, but I find you have to listen in a quiet environment to get the benefit of this quality. When I wear them out on the street, or on the bike, nix. I tend to not listen at loud levels, maybe if I did....but then I'd be mutton n jeff in a year.

I am happy, very happy to have both Triple Fi and OK1 for the many situatuons I listen to music in. And I'd recommend either without a doubt!

EDIT\ @ Faichu -I wouldn't hold out much hope for an in-ear for PK1, if the OK1-as-canalphone is anything to go by. It makes a great earbud merely an okayish IEM.

Edit\ sorry -disjointed: hit the wrong button and posted too early. Doh.

Yes friend, that is why everything in audio therms are subjective. Maybe my ears are more sensible to sibilance, who knows?
About the usability, I agree with you 100%. I really want to keep the Triple.Fi as it needs no amplification to sound awesome, and isolates outside noise very well. Yuins are more like a stationary setup which you can transport easily.

Jul 29, 2008 at 5:54 PM Post #24 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by FlavioWolff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes friend, that is why everything in audio therms are subjective. Maybe my ears are more sensible to sibilance, who knows?
About the usability, I agree with you 100%. I really want to keep the Triple.Fi as it needs no amplification to sound awesome, and isolates outside noise very well. Yuins are more like a stationary setup which you can transport easily.

Hey Flav,

Do people usually tweak the sound from the source via EQ? I think it could be my source (iPhone) but on certain songs, the treble seems too clear so that I keep volume at certain level. Yesterday, I tried using the 'reduce treble' option on my iPhone and the songs that bothered me before sounded so sweet. Now I just can't find any faults with these phones. Of course, I am using an amp which, IMO, makes a huge difference.

Have you tried tuning down the treble slightly? It does not affect the overall detail and quality of the sound.

Jul 30, 2008 at 2:14 PM Post #26 of 45
I have the TF10s out of my predator running lossless files from an IPod Classic and never hear nay sibilance. IT could be the amp. But it si well known as you get older high frequency hearing is lost and maybe that is why, since I am (way) over 30 years old. I find the TF10s to be the best IEMS I have ever heard, better than the Shure E5C or the Etys. I have to admit that I have not tried the Yuins however, so who knows. I am listening tit eh TF10s now, strings are fantastic, as are vocals, and the bass is just right. What can I say? I agree a big amount of this is subjective.

Jul 30, 2008 at 4:32 PM Post #28 of 45
How can you say it is the fact? Fact is something you will never prove is right about audio, as it is all subjective. To my ears, for example, PK1 delivers more detail and separation than TF10.
I think TF10 has an advantage in therms of bass, because it goes deeper, but in therms of treble control and detail, I prefer the PK1.
I shall remember you guys that my PK1 isn't near to 50 hours of burning in (actually, I pink noised it for 25 hours, the rest is regular listening), and people said here that the PK1 needed like 100 hours of proper burning in.
I will report in time.

Jul 30, 2008 at 8:55 PM Post #29 of 45
I agree w/ Flavio (tho please note, I cant speak re PK1) - surprised as I was when comparing to Triple Fi my OK1 has more apparent treble detail & separation used as an earbud. Using the canal/IEM option? Nah, it loses its magic enough to make it ordinary...I'll stick to Triple Fi or ER-4/S for that. I have to say I compared them using the UE stock silicon on TF. Things got much better in terms of clarity using Shure clear E2c tips on the Triples.

Yuin OK1 is a damn fine earbud. And when isolation is not needed, it would be interesting against my SR80 & Beyer 660 -yet to try this tho
wink.gif

Edit\ No, let me change that -I think the treble detail is about the same, but its separation is definitely better, as is the acoustic 'space' around instruments I said in my first post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back