My review of the Shure SE535
Dec 22, 2011 at 8:55 PM Post #16 of 28
Beware of the cable.  I owned 2 pairs and both had connection issues with the swivel cable with very short term light use.  I think it is a very poor design concept.

Dec 25, 2011 at 7:23 PM Post #18 of 28
Quote:
How hard did you find it to remove the cable from the IEMs? I recieved my custom cable today from Chris_Himself (check my album) and I had such a struggle with removing the stock cable (first time removing them). To be honest, I got so pissed of I took all my power I had and pulled in the ******* cable instead of the "tip" and the cable fell off HAHAHAH

It's very hard sometimes to remove the cable. I pulled on it one time and broke the connector, so i bought myself a DHC Symbiote Cryo cable which im much happier with anyway, soundwize and removing it.

Quote:
Beware of the cable.  I owned 2 pairs and both had connection issues with the swivel cable with very short term light use.  I think it is a very poor design concept.

x2, replaced mine 3-4 times.

Dec 25, 2011 at 11:40 PM Post #19 of 28
Dont pull on the cable, that will definitely break the soldering between the cable and connectors!!!

The best way to remove cable on the se535 is to use the finger nails of your thumb and index finger. Try to insert the nails in the gap between the cable and earpiece. Give it a pinch and you will hear a nice clean snap sound and the cable will be off.

Hope that helps, especially when using 3rd party cables.

Dec 26, 2011 at 1:20 AM Post #20 of 28
Quote:
Dont pull on the cable, that will definitely break the soldering between the cable and connectors!!!
The best way to remove cable on the se535 is to use the finger nails of your thumb and index finger. Try to insert the nails in the gap between the cable and earpiece. Give it a pinch and you will hear a nice clean snap sound and the cable will be off.
Hope that helps, especially when using 3rd party cables.

I hope your not tell me this
rolleyes.gif

With your recommendation, it probably does help, but as im thinking to myself right now and you did as you posted this, you shouldn't have to put your nail in the socket to undo the cable. That's stupid. My aftermarket cable is much better sounding, and way easier to take off.

Dec 26, 2011 at 1:51 AM Post #21 of 28
I am confused, nothing stupid there. As thats the correct way to release the cable.

I am also surprised that you find it easier to detach the 3rd party cable, as with mine it is harder as, supposedly, they use a better 3rd party connector with better tolerances and the only way is to use the method I illustrated in the earlier post.

Dec 26, 2011 at 2:37 AM Post #22 of 28
Quote:
I am confused, nothing stupid there. As thats the correct way to release the cable.

I am also surprised that you find it easier to detach the 3rd party cable, as with mine it is harder as, supposedly, they use a better 3rd party connector with better tolerances and the only way is to use the method I illustrated in the earlier post.

Well in general i meant, you shouldn't need to slide your nail between the connector to release the cable. It just happens in this event you do. What cable do you have that you need to do this?

Dec 26, 2011 at 3:44 AM Post #23 of 28

Quote:
Well in general i meant, you shouldn't need to slide your nail between the connector to release the cable. It just happens in this event you do. What cable do you have that you need to do this?

Well, correct me if I am wrong, I think only Shure uses this connector on IEMs. I actually quite like this swivelling connector and it seems more robust than the usual multi-pin connectors that other IEM manufacturers prefer. That is just my preference.

Anyway, my original post was trying to help eliminate breakages among fellow peers by showing the correct way in disconnecting the cables on se535s.  

Dec 26, 2011 at 2:03 PM Post #25 of 28
The various comments about lack of initial 'wow factor', followed by confirmation of long-term enjoyment, ring true with many tonally accurate bits of audio kit.

They may not grab your attention by shouting 'look at me!' but then they don't then start to annoy you and just quietly get on with making great sounds.

I've picked up a bargain pair of SE420s to replace the annoying (but not cheap!) Denon in-ears I bought in an airport (yes I know, classic mistake!), which are all top and bottom with no mid-range.  Tried listening to Fleetwood Mac and it sounded like Mr Fleetwood was about 100 yards from the mic!

Apr 22, 2018 at 11:57 AM Post #27 of 28
The buds are angled, so when you pull the cable to release it, the center of gravity shifts, and the wire and connector torque at an angle, hence the difficulty. When removing the cable, firmly grasp the memory wire in one hand, and firmly grasp the bud in the other, while holding it firm so the connector and wire stay perpendicular, then gently but firmly pull. The wire will pop right off. Same concept when attaching.

Apr 23, 2018 at 8:51 AM Post #28 of 28
I use the fingernail technique. Really easy, they should pop off no problem.

This was my first $500 iem and I actually had the wow factor. I've never heard anything like them before and became upsessed. They made me want to wake up early and listen to some of my favorite songs over again. I still havent heard a better iem that portrays female vocals like these shures. I now have 2 campfire audio TOTL and the shures are still used all the time. I like them more than 846 even mainly because of the vocals. I listen to a lot of vocal trance and love them.

I purchased a moon audio silver cable and whether or not you believe in cables, to my ears the cable added the perfect amount of sparkle to the top end and made the vocals stand out even more. Great review.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back