My Review of the Panasonic SL-CT470 (WOO-HOO!) vs. SL-CT580 vs. Sony D-EJ721
Nov 5, 2001 at 2:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Eagle_Driver

Headphoneus Supremus
Last year, when my trusty old Panasonic SL-SW850 portable CD player began having problems (it refused to read some CDs and its plastic lock clips began to crack), I went to shop for a suitable replacement. I first bought a Sony D-EJ815, which turned out to have a really crappy headphone output that distorted on many CDs at even half-volume (I later sold it on eBay). Next I bought a Panasonic SL-CT580, which I was very satisfied with – until four months later, when its really flimsy thin plastic lid broke where the tiny, flimsy hinge screws attached to it. And then I bought a Sony D-EJ721, which I was very satisfied with – until today, when I found the limitations of that unit; it produced very little low bass, its G-Protection anti-skip isn’t very effective at preventing skips (it skipped a few times when I crossed the street on my way to work, and with the batteries half-drained it sometimes skips to the next track even 40 seconds before the end of the currently playing track). So I bought a Panasonic SL-CT470, which (surprisingly) is in stock at an audio/DJ store on Chicago’s North Side (Clark and Diversey Streets). My sample is silver in color, but the store has some blue-colored units. It cost me $100 – the same price as what a normal retailer would have sold it for last year. Here is my comparison review between the Panasonic SL-CT470 and the Sony D-EJ721, with a few references to the Panasonic SL-CT580 (the model that replaced the SL-CT470 earlier this year):

The Panasonic SL-CT470 is slimmer and lighter in weight than the Sony D-EJ721 (the Panasonic SL-CT580, slimmer still) – but that lighter weight doesn’t translate into fewer features or lower performance. The Panasonic SL-CT470 has a rotary volume knob and a mechanical switch for selecting Normal/Random/Resume play; the newer SL-CT580, a very finicky digital volume control that uses two hard-to-press buttons, electronic push-button selection for Random mode, and a Resume mode that can’t be turned off at all. The Sony D-EJ721 has similarly-operated Random (Sony calls it Shuffle) mode and a Resume feature that can’t be turned off at all – but the Sony’s feature resumes at the exact point where playback was last stopped at (and at the same playback mode, such as Shuffle or Program); the Panasonics resume play at the beginning of either the currently stopped track or the next track (and on the SL-CT470, enabling Resume play before the unit is powered on automatically switches the playback mode to repeat entire disc). And while the Sony has a three-position (Off/mid/max) Mega Bass boost switch, the Panasonics have a four-mode equalizer switch (S-XBS/Train/Live/Off). In my experience, the “Off” position is the only setting to use – all of the other positions screw up the sound quality to varying degrees. Only the Panasonic SL-CT470 has a true “Off” position for its anti-skip circuitry; the newer SL-CT580’s anti-skip can’t be turned off at all, and turning the G-Protection circuitry of the Sony D-EJ721 off merely switches the unit to a 40-second “ESP Max” mode. The Panasonic SL-CT470 and the Sony D-EJ721 have a line out jack in addition to a headphone out jack; the line out on the Sony also doubles as an optical digital out jack. The Panasonic SL-CT580 has no line out jack per se; you’ll have to use the headphone out jack for connection to any external audio equipment.

The Panasonic SL-CT470 is powered by two AAA batteries (two rechargeable 650mAH NiMH batteries are included), with a screw-on external battery case that holds two AA batteries for extended battery life to a claimed maximum of 50 hours. The newer SL-CT580 also has a screw-on external AA battery case, but is powered by two proprietary gumstick NiCd rechargeable batteries (included); maximum claimed battery life, 56 hours. The Sony D-EJ721 is powered by two AA batteries (not included), with a freely dangling plug-in external battery case for two additional AA batteries for a maximum claimed battery life of 86 hours.

Okay, I’ve talked about the features of the three players, but how do they sound? Using a pair of Sennheiser HD 590 headphones, the Panasonic SL-CT470 has the most dynamic sound of the three portable CD players in this review; the bass hits relatively hard and clean, and the mids are clearer than the other two models. The treble is a little “over-detailed”, but still very listenable. The newer Panasonic SL-CT580 sounded rather lifeless and delicate by comparison. The Sony D-EJ721 has a small recession in the midrange, and the low bass is also recessed on that portable CD player as well. As for loudness, a higher power rating doesn’t always translate to louder sound; though the Panasonic SL-CT470 (with its 9mW per channel headphone amp) is the loudest of the three, the 5mW per channel Sony D-EJ721 is surprisingly louder than the 8mW per channel Panasonic SL-CT580 (though the output of the Sony is sometimes distorted at maximum volume). The “punchier” Panasonic SL-CT470 also gave new life to the famous Sony MDR-E888LP Fontopia earbuds, which sounded rather bland on the other two players.

Overall, I’d rank the Panasonic SL-CT470 higher than the Sony D-EJ721, and much higher than the CT470’s successor, the SL-CT580. No wonder why Todd of Headroom said the CT580 takes one step up then two steps back compared to the CT470; he much prefers the CT470 over the CT580.

BTW, that audio/DJ store also carries the Grado SR-80 headphones. At $95 or thereabouts, is it enough of an "upgrado" from my current SR-60 headphones to be worth buying?

Nov 6, 2001 at 1:58 AM Post #2 of 8
Nice review Eagle_Driver;

I too, have the SL-CT470, though it didn't come with rechargable AAA's. Came with a AC/DC convertor (wallwart) though.

Simple, elegant looks + great sound. Warmer and more pleasant to listen to than my DEJ-915 (which to me sounds very digital and has a narrow soundstage)

Main gripe- I wish Panasonic had better remotes. My SLCT470 came with a simple 4 button remote control. No playmode (resume, repeat etc) buttons, no display, no pause.

I can live without those things- but it doesn't even have a clip! (very important if you're on the go), so I find myself not using the remote at all.

Whilst the Sony remotes are brilliant!

Nov 6, 2001 at 4:06 AM Post #3 of 8
I have the Panasonic SL-SX500, purchased in 1998 for about $100. This unit has an alluminum die cast lid and 40 second anti-shock. I have traveled extensively with it over the years and have cranked out thousands of hours of flawless use. I can honestly say that I was rough with it (running to/from gates at airports) and it has nary a scratch. It's been a joy to behold with it's line out and my total airhead powering my hd580's. Question...does Panasonic still make pcd players with die-cast alluminum lids?

Nov 6, 2001 at 12:47 PM Post #4 of 8
roll-man, there still are Panasonic PCDPs with die-cast aluminum lids. Two recent examples are last year's SL-CT570 and the current SL-CT780.

tktran, the North American version of the SL-CT470 had no remote at all (but it came with NiMH rechargeables); you would either have had to order a remote from Panasonic or buy the SL-CT476J version (which came with an okay remote and a jogger case).

Nov 6, 2001 at 8:43 PM Post #5 of 8
that's very good to know...I honestly believe that the die-cast lid has had a great deal to do with why mine has really lasted, after the pounding I've subjected it to. I really can't say enough about the durability. What good is great sound if the thing falls apart after normal use?

Nov 7, 2001 at 5:16 PM Post #7 of 8
ya know, they must be. I just took a look at mine and there is not a single scratch on it. I've been pretty rough with mine, although I can't say that I actually subjected it to any sharp objects. After 4+ years, it still looks great.

Nov 7, 2001 at 6:31 PM Post #8 of 8
I had an SL-CT470, I liked it but I found the sound quality to better on my Sony D-E446CK thats probably about 2 years old. Plus it has a lot more power. My Panasonic broke after a single fall when it was about 6 months old. The Sony's holding up a lot better. I think they're all going downhill recently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back