My review of the Hisoundaudio ROCOO-A
Mar 3, 2010 at 4:22 PM Post #76 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by razzer001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So the ones on this thread saying the C30 used cheap parts and the Rocoo is all A grade stuff, will need to explain why the same chip in the C30 is the main chip on the Studio which costs $345......

You mean the chip in the Rocoo is the chip in the Studio?

Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Rocoo hisses still a lot.

Eh, that's disappointing.

Mar 4, 2010 at 2:37 AM Post #79 of 148
Well the hiss is of course new, but details:

Let me put it this way (check the attached JPEG): the channels are swapped L to R. It should have channels in the same position as the Fuze. I think that DFKT might get a chuckle out of this one. At first I didn't know what was going on as I was listening to fast music, but something seemed different. But moving onto some binaural recordings, it became really evident.

The EQ too is swapped where moving the bar to the '+' position lowers the EQ and moving it to the '-' position raises it.

It is a new listening experience. I don't want to judge anyone, but the Rocoo isn't better than the AMP3 other than feeling much nicer in the hands. It is harder to use because the interface is really really clumsy and it resets itself every other power down back to Chinese. I don't know about anyone else but transfer time on this must be USB 1,1 because it is very slow, taking minutes per album rather than seconds.

If the imbalance can be fixed via software update, then it might be okay, but it still reeks of beta.

Edit: in all fairness, the unit I'm borrowing could be defective, but that has been explained to me before. Its hiss is pretty much the same as the AMP3 Pro2 with sensitive iems, and it is almost too loud from volume one with the same earphones. A number of things need to be improved on this beta hardware before it goes to market. Still HiSound would be best to send its spec to Rockbox so they could make hardware as I have a feeling that the software isn't going to fix itself.

Mar 4, 2010 at 7:11 AM Post #81 of 148
Thanks for the mini review. I saw the player and was about to start saving but i think i will have to take a step back and read and see how this device progress. As it is made by hisoundaudio i have no doubts that the SQ is amazing. But if the amp3 post taught us anything its that there is a lot more to a dap than the SQ.

Shizgeo i can see that you are championing for rockbox and i hope that somethings comes out of that because i think it would make for a better user experience.

Mar 4, 2010 at 7:59 AM Post #82 of 148
I am not sure when it will come to market, but if this version is any indication, it needs a lot of time.

HiSound - take your time. Read the scathing reviews and balance them with the good ones. But don't, don't, don't bring to market a half-baked product.

Think about opening the device to Rockbox - you won't make a good enough firmware without it.

Mar 4, 2010 at 8:26 AM Post #83 of 148
True, the channels are swapped, and the UI defaults to Chinese after switching it off and back on, but as I said, without going into details, in the first sentences of my review, this is still beta firmware.
If (when?) Hisoundaudio opens the Rocoo for Rockbox firmware, then we will have a player that is complete, with great design, portability, nice UI, gapless, exceptional and powerful sound. The second best option is to release a new in-house firmware that fixes the UI default and channel swapping, this already would raise the Rocoo to new heights.

Btw, there is a rather nice synergy between the Rocoo and Hippo Shroom.

Mar 4, 2010 at 8:35 AM Post #84 of 148
So what's the deal with hissing and Hisound products? Why can't they correct this major issue with their DAP's? I'm not going to touch one until the hissing is gone. I don't have to deal with hissing in my current setup why should I have to pay more and end up with a player that hisses like an old cassette tape?

Mar 4, 2010 at 12:19 PM Post #85 of 148
Some might be interested in this: Cube C30 will have 32GB version. I have no idea about its street price. Currently Cube C30 4GB is $300 Chinese Dollar.

Edit; I feel stupid. I just googled, 32GB is an old news.

Mar 4, 2010 at 1:28 PM Post #88 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Indeed.

No idea how that could happen, even in alpha/beta firmware. EQ is one thing, but channel swap sounds more like a hardware issue to me, though.

Channel swap is a serious deal breaker. I simply have to ask What? on that. You mean they produced a player and can't even get the left and the right in the proper place?

Also that could really mess with people during review time as they might claim to hear things they have never heard before in a piece of music when in reality they are just hearing the same things in the wrong place.

Mar 4, 2010 at 1:29 PM Post #89 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If the Cube C30 hisses as much or is as hard to use, forget it. I'm waiting for a Chinese company to blow the water with great UI and sound - not one or the other; not neither (that happened).

If the SFLO:2 ever gets it's UI and database issues fixed I think this would be the first chinese player to really get most things right.

Mar 4, 2010 at 1:52 PM Post #90 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by swanlee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If the SFLO:2 ever gets it's UI and database issues fixed I think this would be the first chinese player to really get most things right.

I was really taken by my Meizu M6, but it broke (sudden flashes of bright white followed by nothing) just 6 months after purchase. Loved the look (so iPod yet so mockpod).

The S:FLO may have it, but it certainly doesn't look it - looks like it was designed by an iPhone clone company - horrid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back