My review of the Hippo Gumstick
Jun 29, 2010 at 12:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

mp3

500+ Head-Fier

[size=10pt]Hippo Gumstick[/size]

[size=10pt]The Hippo Gumstick is a reworked Hisoundaudio Rocoo / Cube C30, same housing is used but the internals differ.[/size]

[size=10pt]Specs:[/size]
[size=10pt]Class A amp[/size]
[size=10pt]Dimensions: approx 75x27x10 mm [/size]
[size=10pt]Weight: 45 gram [/size]
[size=10pt]Screen: 1 inch OLED b/w, 2-3 lines of text
Price: $99
[/size]

[size=10pt]Features:[/size]
[size=10pt]Audio codec: MP3, WMA, AAC, APE, FLAC[/size]
[size=10pt]4GB internal memory and micro SDHC expansion slot[/size]
[size=10pt]FM radio[/size]
[size=10pt]5 band EQ (normal, rock, jazz, classical, pop, bass, user  +/- 12dB on 80, 250, 1K, 4K and 12K Hz)[/size]
[size=10pt]4 playback modes (normal, repeat one, repeat all, random)[/size]
[size=10pt]Multi-tasking[/size]
[size=10pt]Voice and radio recorder[/size]
[size=10pt]Text and lyrics reader[/size]
[size=10pt]File browser [/size]
[size=10pt]MSC, drag and drop[/size]

[size=10pt]Included accessories:
USB Cable
[/size]
[size=10pt]Manual[/size]

[size=10pt]Build quality and hardware:[/size]
[size=10pt]The Gumstick is made of high quality plastic and what seems to be a metal frame, it feels very well put together. The screen is built in behind of the face of the player which makes it look very exclusive, and it works very well too. On the face of the Gumstick there is a rocker pad, with prev/next track and +/- volume as well as scrolling the menus. To the right of the rocker pad there are two discreet rocker buttons, menu/select and play/pause combined on/off. At the top of the player there you will find a microphone and a rocker button for recording and A-B repeat. On the right side, there is the mini USB port and headphone out, at the bottom is the on/off slider button and a reset hole, and on the left hand side is a micro SDHC slot. [/size]
[size=10pt]The nice looking UI is quick and easy in use.[/size]

[size=10pt]Audio:[/size]
[size=10pt]To test the audio qualities of the Gumstick I have used a wide array of IEM’s (ATH CK10 UM2, UM-3X, Hippo VB, Hippo Shroom, FA Eterna) on ears Koss Portapro, Jays v-Jays, and Philips SBC HP1000 full sized cans.. [/size]
[size=10pt]One thing that becomes apparent straight away is the silence, the Gumstick doesn’t seem to hiss or produce any other static noises.[/size]
[size=10pt]The Gumstick incorporates a Class A amp, in other words it packs an incredible power for such a small device, it can easily drive more demanding phones as well. The sound signature is natural/neutral, with a deep “quality over quantity” bass, lively and detailed mids and clear highs. The detail in sound is excellent, better than Cowon D2 and Sansa Clip, same goes for the soundstage and the imaging. [/size]
[size=10pt]As I have found the Gumstick sounds especially good with warmer sounding IEM’s, Klipsch S4, Hippo VB, FA Eterna are very good matches.[/size]
[size=10pt]There are EQ options for those who wish to use them, but to be honest, the Gumstick sounds so good that most users should not need to tinker with any settings.[/size]

[size=10pt]Other:[/size]
[size=10pt]There is also a FM radio, text/lyrics viewer and a voice recorder built in. These work as they are meant to, and may come in very handy for some users.[/size]

[size=10pt]Conclusion:[/size]
[size=10pt]The Hippo Gumstick offers a great sound quality and great design. Highly recommended.[/size]

Jun 29, 2010 at 9:24 PM Post #2 of 29
Thanks for the review. But i have few questions, if you dont mind.

1. File library is based on ID3tag or file browsing?
2. How's the microSDHC integration? (reference to question 1)
3. File deletion via player possible?
4. Battery life?
5. Firmware stability?

Jun 29, 2010 at 11:28 PM Post #4 of 29

I don't have one, but I was browsing through some Singapore forums, I can relay information.

Quote:
Thanks for the review. But i have few questions, if you dont mind.

1. File library is based on ID3tag or file browsing?

File browsing, follows order of transfer

2. How's the microSDHC integration? (reference to question 1)
3. File deletion via player possible?
4. Battery life?

I've seen 7-9 hours for FLAC, a bit more for MP3s

5. Firmware stability?

Quote:
1.) How well would it drive Full Sized Cans?

There was a user who tested it with a DT880  600 ohm, he said it drives "fairly good". He also tested it with a HD800, said he thought it wasn't quite good enough to drive it, borderline.
Another user said his DT880 250 ohm, which on the Sansa Fuze's maximum volume was barely below listening levels, was driven very well by the Gumstick, even having extra volume to push more. And yet another user said "Yes, the output are quite high, i tested it with Beyerdynamic DT880 250ohm, and it can drive it quite well without amp."

2.) What DAC does it Use?
3.) Does it support gapless mp3, wma and flac?

File Formats supported: MP3, WMA, FLAC, APE - No idea on gapless

Feel free to peruse the board http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/1453217

Jun 30, 2010 at 3:14 AM Post #5 of 29
Thanks for chipping in gimmethatbeatfool.

Toughnut's questions,
1. File browsing, follows order of transfer.
2. Unfortuately I do not have a micro SDHC card so haven't been able to test this, but the file viewer shows up "internal media" and "external media", so I would think that there isn't any integration as such.
3. Doesn't seem to be possible.
4. 7-9h for flac, around 9-10h for mp3.
5. Very stable, no crashes or hick-ups yet.

IDK's questions,
1. Personally I have only got the cans listed, and they were no match at all to drive. Gimmethatbeatfool's answer is way better than I could do, and shows that the Gumstick has potential to drive rather big loads. 
2. Unfortunately there isn't any information about the DAC, but my guess would be that it's the same as on the Rocoo.
3. No gapless, I'm afraid.

Jun 30, 2010 at 8:34 AM Post #9 of 29
Price set at $99 
smile.gif

At my listening levels, 10-15 of 31, I can't hear any hiss from it, or at least not anymore than from my Cowon D2 and Sansa Clip.
Compared to Rocoo, it's not really fair to compare to the Rocoo I have as it's a pre-production unit, the Gumstick does everything better. I haven't heard the C30.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back