My Recently Completed Amplifier Picture Page (142k)
Apr 8, 2004 at 6:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Subsonic

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all! Here's a few pics of my recently completed projects. Enjoy!
600smile.gif

IMG_0937.JPG

Bottom Up: Balanced Gilmore Dynamic(primary), PPA #1, PPA #2 w/power supply(left), Meta42(left) & Gilmore Dynamic #2(right).
IMG_0928.JPG

Gilmore Dynamic #2.
IMG_0931.JPG

IMG_0920.JPG

PPA#2 w/power supply.

... almost forgot some pr0n can be found here.
(hi-res pics on request)

edit: pictures didn't work

Apr 8, 2004 at 7:19 PM Post #3 of 26
That's a lot of Gilmore & PPA love going on in that house. Congrats on finishing up all those amps and doing such a good job of it in the process. Very nice work.

OBTW, how does the balanced Gilmroe sound compared to the PPA?

Apr 8, 2004 at 9:20 PM Post #4 of 26
I love the bottom ppa with the power supply and front panel express panels. When did you build all of these? BTW, the albums are not working.(when I click on one it says that the page cannot be displayed)

Nice work!

JV.

Apr 8, 2004 at 9:30 PM Post #5 of 26
that's a monster amp on the bottom. what headphones will it be powering?

Apr 9, 2004 at 12:33 AM Post #7 of 26
Quote:

how does the balanced Gilmore sound compared to the PPA?

I like the sound of both the Balanced Gilmore and the PPA. I find though, that I'm listening to the Balanced Gilmore more often. Partly because the speed of the balanced output's seem to be a perfect match for my HD600's and that it doesn't require bass boost.

But I do think it's an unfair comparison. The PPA sounds every bit as good as the single ended Gilmore Dynamic.

Quote:

When did you build all of these?

Well, I finished casing up the Balanced Gilmore Dynamic and PPA #1 about 2-3 months ago and I finished the other Gilmore and PPA over spring break (last week). So as of right now, I'm projectless.
frown.gif

Apr 9, 2004 at 1:20 AM Post #9 of 26
bee-yu-tiful!

nice work subsonic. I'd love to come demo them all! Congrats!

Apr 9, 2004 at 5:27 AM Post #10 of 26
Holy crap your BB Gilmore had a dual mone PS! It appears to be a Welborne PS-1 clone. BTW, i'm building a BB Gilmore soon and was wondering how would i switch the BB to an SE with a switch like yours?

Apr 9, 2004 at 5:40 AM Post #11 of 26
NICEEEEE

someone's 1/8" > 1/4" adaptor's stuck in there
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 9, 2004 at 3:50 PM Post #12 of 26
Thanks all for all the comments!

Quote:

can we have pics of the inside of the gilmore?

Here we go:

(click pic for more)

Quote:

BTW, i'm building a BB Gilmore soon and was wondering how would i switch the BB to an SE with a switch like yours?

You can use the "+" outputs of the left and right channels for the single ended output. So you can either wire the BB and SE outputs in parallel or use a 4pdt switch (rotoary, toggle, etc...).

Apr 9, 2004 at 5:42 PM Post #13 of 26
After seeing the guts I'm even more impressed. Excellent wiring job and routing. It looks totally professional.

Apr 9, 2004 at 5:54 PM Post #14 of 26
mad props ... real nice job...

Apr 9, 2004 at 6:31 PM Post #15 of 26
Those Elmas do kind of stick out unless you trim the shaft (trimmed mine to 0.16" out from the threads) and shim the switch from the inside of the enclosure. One must think about this because the knob still needs to grip on to something. Seems to me like the knob should be designed differently.

BTW: that is one relatively large PC board--not too many people go to that much trouble. Enjoy your work.

JF

Users who are viewing this thread

Back