My quest for portable Audiophile CANS
May 8, 2006 at 2:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

rhaudiogeek

New Head-Fier
Folks,

I currently own Grado SR80 and am very happy with them, although i find them to be a tad bit dull when listening to classical music.

Now I am considering some portable cans that i can carry convinently back and forth to/from work. Having done a little research have narrowed it down to the following two :

Option #1:
STAX SRM-252II driver and SR-003 Open-Back Electrostatic In-The-Earspeaker.

Option #2:
Ultrsone i-Cans with Rega Ear Headphone Amp

Does anyone have any experience with either of the above or other suggestion that I can add to my list to consider

Thanks !!

May 8, 2006 at 2:56 PM Post #2 of 8
Koss KSC75. On sale at Radioshack now for $9.99, FABULOUS portable cans, with a similar sound signature to the lower end Grados. Koss PortaPro are great as well from what I hear. Sennheiser PX100's another. You could also consider IEMs if you need better isolation, like the Shure E2c/E2g, or the Etymotic ER6i. I would not go with portable electrostats. They're just not known for being that good, and they're a pain. One thing to keep in mind: just because something is made by an an "audiophile" brand does not automatically make it better, nor does a "non-audiophile" brand name make something bad.

May 8, 2006 at 4:19 PM Post #3 of 8
I think the highest-quality headphone that can be considered truly portable is the Sennheiser PX100. It's open air, which makes it sound rather better than the usual closed headphone, and more audiophile headphones are usually not as small.

May 8, 2006 at 4:24 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagorev
I think the highest-quality headphone that can be considered truly portable is the Sennheiser PX100. It's open air, which makes it sound rather better than the usual closed headphone, and more audiophile headphones are usually not as small.

I'm getting the white ones, hope they're good.

May 8, 2006 at 5:05 PM Post #5 of 8
I love my px100's, I've had them for a week , so I suppose you can say I haven't listened to enough music yet, and they are not burned in... But I'm already enjoying them, the bass can be a tiny little bit bloated, but It gives it an enjoyable sound...

May 8, 2006 at 5:59 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by fierce_freak
I recommend the Stax if you don't need isolation.

yes ... really fine headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back