My phones be crack-a-lacking
May 25, 2005 at 1:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

MikeDogg

New Head-Fier
I'm having an interesting problem with my HD650's and SR200's. When I listen to certain tracks on the original Hiromi SACD through my XIN SM V.3, I get a crackling noise on certain guitar riffs.

I've whittled the problem to either be the Grado 1/8" adapter or the SM clipping, however I don't think that's the problem since the pot isn't even 3/4 of the way up.

I first noticed this problem when I was listening to some tunes on my iPod (line out to the SM), and I heard a crackling noise in the left driver of my HD650. In order to chekc to see that it was coming through the left channel, and to prove it wasn't a driver problem, I switched the inputs of my Mobius. Lo and behold, it wasn't a driver problem.

When I listen to my SACDs, I get the same crackling with both my HD650 and SR200. The only equipment that is used in both cases is the Grado adapter, the SM V.3, and the headphones. So what's the deal?

May 25, 2005 at 2:28 AM Post #2 of 5
The SACD and HD650 are two words to evoke high resolution. You can then hear some digital clipping that occured during the recording and/or mastering of the CD. With my HD600 I head clipping all over very easily. Definitely not the amp or the adapter.

May 25, 2005 at 3:48 AM Post #3 of 5
Hmmm, sounds like a good assesment, but this is a new Telarc pressing, and I would think that the fidelity would be high enough not to clip. Do you think that it's too detailed? Please explain, because I just started with SACD.

May 25, 2005 at 4:39 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeDogg
Hmmm, sounds like a good assesment, but this is a new Telarc pressing, and I would think that the fidelity would be high enough not to clip. Do you think that it's too detailed? Please explain, because I just started with SACD.

Many new recordings exhibit some kind of light digital clipping. Your equipment and good ears are able to hear this. The digital clipping I refer to is a slight distortion when peaks (in volume level) are played, caused by limitations inherent to digital formats. In other words, you should only be surprised if a recording has a LOT of this clipping, but a little clipping here and there isn't really a surprise. Keep in mind that this Hiromi SACD might have been recorded with as much dynamic range as possible, but some peaks might have fallen out of the range. Also remember that the HD650 is a detail microscope !

May 25, 2005 at 7:04 AM Post #5 of 5
True dat! It's not so bad with the SR200's, but the HD650s really put it out there and in your face. I'm going to try some more tests with a better amp, but I was just playing around with the SM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back