My phones are here!!!! (56k, a few pictures)
Feb 9, 2007 at 9:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

goldenratiophi

Headphoneus Supremus
I know you've seen/had these cans in your life, but I'm super-duper excited right now!

More pics when I can tear these off my head!
smily_headphones1.gif

First thought:

These are the second most comfortable headphones I've ever worn, next to the Triports. Certainly much more comfortable than my KSC75's.

Now the sound:

Firstly, these things are certainly more detailed than the KSC's. This is to be expected given their price. They are certainly brighter, too. I was scared that this would make non-rock (ie folk) sound worse, but it sounds better than ever! I haven't tried any jazz or classical yet, though (or metal, I bet I'll be in for a nice surprise there
smily_headphones1.gif
).

The next thing really surprised me. I've heard that there is absolutely NO soundstage. I put on Daft Punk's "Harder Better Faster Stronger" and it definitely sounded more spacious (is that the word)? The instruments definitely sounded more separated. Anyway, so far, Daft Punk sounds WAY better on the SR60's than the KSC75's; other bands/genres are noticible, but none as much as this.

The bass is punchier. I'm not really sure if there's "more" of it or not. But it sounds good (of course). I don't really notice any "shrill" treble or anything (yet).

This is all before burn-in. I'll be using some pink noise when I'm not listning to them.

Thanks for my first (relatively) big Head-Fi purchase!

Feb 9, 2007 at 9:26 PM Post #2 of 24
Great choice! I guess the KSC75 then have less bass than the KSC35, because my 35's clearly have more bass than my SR60's. I love both, they sound great amped or unamped. Those Koss and the Grado SR60's are the best values in headphonedom without a doubt.

About five years ago I heard the HD600's, K501's, and the SR60's out of a Creek amp and my marantz receiver. I wasn't planning to use a dedicated amp so after the comparison I decided to keep the SR60's and returned the other two. It was my first pair of good headphones, and I still have them.

Happy listening!

Feb 9, 2007 at 9:27 PM Post #3 of 24
Congratulations!
I started with a decent Grado phone as well, the SR80, and see where I am now...
tongue.gif

Feb 9, 2007 at 9:42 PM Post #4 of 24
The last one is a nice picture. It looks like one they would have on their website.

Feb 9, 2007 at 9:46 PM Post #7 of 24
Quick question: are there any magnets in the headphones? I'm putting them on my thin monitor as I don't have a headphones stand; just wanna make sure I don't damage my screen or anything.

I just can't get over how comfy these things are after all the complaints I've read!
smily_headphones1.gif

System of a Down on Grado = eargasm! Metal really does sound so much better on these!

EDIT: Woah, more people posted before me. I don't think they sound grainy, but then again I don't have much basis for comparison (KSC75 is still a min-Grado, right?)

I liked the last pic too, except for the fact that I couldn't keep my hands still, and so the text is kinda blurred.

Feb 9, 2007 at 9:57 PM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by goldenratiophi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quick question: are there any magnets in the headphones? I'm putting them on my thin monitor as I don't have a headphones stand; just wanna make sure I don't damage my screen or anything.

Yes there are magnets inside the headphones but they are so small that they wouldn't have any kind of effect on nearby electronics. Besides, you have an LCD monitor which are not effected by magnetic fields anyways.
wink.gif

Feb 9, 2007 at 10:07 PM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by kontai69 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes there are magnets inside the headphones but they are so small that they wouldn't have any kind of effect on nearby electronics. Besides, you have an LCD monitor which are not effected by magnetic fields anyways.
wink.gif

Oh yeah, forgot about that, I'm stupid right now
tongue.gif

Feb 10, 2007 at 2:35 AM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

tongue.gif

stupid with Grado Intoxication
rs1smile.gif
perfectly understandable
wink.gif

Feb 10, 2007 at 3:29 AM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

tongue.gif

Yeah if you're going to hang your Grados from your LCD monitor make sure you degauss it often.

Feb 10, 2007 at 3:44 AM Post #13 of 24
Congrats on the purchase. The only problem is that I think the SR60 are one of those "gateway" purchases. Soon you'll be amp shopping and then it's nothing but updating your sig with smaller and smaller text to fit all the equipment.

Feb 10, 2007 at 4:07 AM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by pretzelb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congrats on the purchase. The only problem is that I think the SR60 are one of those "gateway" purchases. Soon you'll be amp shopping and then it's nothing but updating your sig with smaller and smaller text to fit all the equipment.

Hey that sounds like exactly what Im doing. Grado SR60s a week ago. (Which I love.) Amp and portable amp in the mail. Looking at another set just to compare. And was at a local sound shop I heard of today listening to RS-2s..... drool. Well, I HAVE money saved..... today......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back