My ordeal with an Acoustic Zen mc2
Jul 30, 2002 at 4:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

AC1

500+ Head-Fier
You think this stuff never happens or would never happen to you, but I have been through quite a bit for this digital cable...

I bought a new "mc2" from somebody local I found on Audiogon, he had gotten this cable from a dealer that he knew in the area and everything went smoothly with the transaction... I had to get the cable reterminated from AZ since I needed a BNC end, but when I went back to pick it up, Robert told me how this mc2 was actually a silver photon! The label on the cable was an mc2 label and the outside sleeve looks like an mc2 (which was different than my photon, it had silver in the sleeve like a silver reference); it did not look tampered with or anything. But looking at the inside of the rca plug, my "mc2" is coaxial which a real mc2 is not (it has 3 conductors)... I also own a silver photon, and of course, looking at the inside of the photon looked just like my "mc2".
Unfortunately, AZ had reterminated the cable already and when I asked the seller for a refund, he wanted it back in the all rca form, so I had to ask AZ to reterminate back, but they did not mention that they were charging me again... Well, eventually it worked out with the seller and AZ where they offered me a deal to trade in my fake mc2+$ (I had asked them to help me out with the second charge) for a real one and not have to pay for the second retermination. So it worked out, but was such an ordeal going back and forth with the seller etc... Luckily the AZ guys were nice enough to help me out.
So be careful.

Jul 30, 2002 at 12:23 PM Post #2 of 7
OMG!
What a horror story, this is a terrible scam. I have both cables and although they have the same color jacket material the Mc2 is noticebaly thicker in diameter vs the silver photon, but unless you had the two side by side how would you know. Most people would just read the label.

Now the real question was the cable intentionally mis-labelled by
seller trying to scam people, or was it a quality control accident at AZ?

I think I saw a new picture of AZ silver photon and it had a blue cable jacket now?

Jul 30, 2002 at 2:20 PM Post #3 of 7
Holy ****, I think I should check my cable when I get home.
eek.gif
I purchased mine off Audiogon also.

Jul 30, 2002 at 2:32 PM Post #4 of 7
OMG (part 2)
I just went to AZ website and looked at digital cables:
AZ digital cables
Click on photo of the $98 "silver photon" to enlarge and look what the label says...........Mc2! Click on photo of Mc2 and label says Mc2......these are obviously the exact same photo used under both headings

At the bottom you see the "blue" cable is the new "photon" which appears to be for home theater since it is sold as set of three. So there are three digital cables now:
-silver photon
-photon
-Mc2

Jul 30, 2002 at 2:37 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel
OMG!
What a horror story, this is a terrible scam. I have both cables and although they have the same color jacket material the Mc2 is noticebaly thicker in diameter vs the silver photon, but unless you had the two side by side how would you know. Most people would just read the label.

Now the real question was the cable intentionally mis-labelled by
seller trying to scam people, or was it a quality control accident at AZ?

I think I saw a new picture of AZ silver photon and it had a blue cable jacket now?

Even side by side I thought my "mc2" was different, the "mc2" was a bit thicker than my silver photon (where I believe a mc2 should be a lot thicker), I think the sleeve contributed to it being slightly thicker. So I did not think much of it at all since it was "different".

I do not know if it was intentional or not... The seller, I do not believe, was trying to scam anybody since he buys/sells a lot of stuff and did care about his feedback on Audiogon and was willing to work it out... It was the dealer he got it from that seemed a bit more suspect, since this guy does not seem to be a regular AZ dealer, and can only sometimes get AZ cables, which I found out later. Robert Lee said it is extremely rare that they would miss label a cable, but I guess there is a very small possibility.

Yes, the new silver photon has a blue jacket and I do not think they did this just for the sake of change.

Jul 31, 2002 at 4:10 AM Post #6 of 7
Not to make this even more confusing, the new mc2 I got today has a clear mesh sleeve now! I was just comparing the thickness to the silver photon, and I still would not be able to really tell them apart unless I had them side by side (and of course if sleeves weren't different).

Aug 19, 2008 at 6:15 AM Post #7 of 7
Hi:
Looks like I got similar cable from Audiogon. Mine looks like the Silver Byte, with the Mc2 label on the cable, the ends (RCA) are similar to the silver byte or photon, what about package? is it a clear zip bag with a small sticker or the original package has the name printed on the bag.
If you go to audiogon the first cable that you see on the list under acoustic zen is the one I bought (wondering why is still available)
If I look inside the plug, how many conductors I supposed to have?
Thanks in advance for any information

Quote:

Originally Posted by AC1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You think this stuff never happens or would never happen to you, but I have been through quite a bit for this digital cable...

I bought a new "mc2" from somebody local I found on Audiogon, he had gotten this cable from a dealer that he knew in the area and everything went smoothly with the transaction... I had to get the cable reterminated from AZ since I needed a BNC end, but when I went back to pick it up, Robert told me how this mc2 was actually a silver photon! The label on the cable was an mc2 label and the outside sleeve looks like an mc2 (which was different than my photon, it had silver in the sleeve like a silver reference); it did not look tampered with or anything. But looking at the inside of the rca plug, my "mc2" is coaxial which a real mc2 is not (it has 3 conductors)... I also own a silver photon, and of course, looking at the inside of the photon looked just like my "mc2".
Unfortunately, AZ had reterminated the cable already and when I asked the seller for a refund, he wanted it back in the all rca form, so I had to ask AZ to reterminate back, but they did not mention that they were charging me again... Well, eventually it worked out with the seller and AZ where they offered me a deal to trade in my fake mc2+$ (I had asked them to help me out with the second charge) for a real one and not have to pay for the second retermination. So it worked out, but was such an ordeal going back and forth with the seller etc... Luckily the AZ guys were nice enough to help me out.
So be careful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back