my opinions on the e2c and er6i (mostly on fit/comfort)
Jan 1, 2007 at 10:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

eruditass

Previously known as DoomzDayz
a lot of people badmouth the e2c atleast from a fitment point of view. we've all heard the arguments between the two from a sonic standpoint, but i will go over my relatively unaudophile opinions real quick with a kramer modded e2c:

bass is a little less tight with the e2c but deeper and not that much more pronounced (possibly the mod). the instruments are more separated on the er6i, especially noted in the mids on the drums. the er6i has a bit of a upper hand on the highs, not too much anymore from what i can tell. however, the attack and decay in the middle highs on the er6i is not as satisfying - i guess as those have described, it decays a little unnaturally slow. for example, the cymbol or whatever, the hi hat that resonates for a little bit - when this is being hit at a constant speed on the e2c's i can clearly hear each new hit, while the er6i it blends together much more. also, the e2c (with this mod)'s trebs are more pronounced but might roll off quicker, which is good for hi-hat play but not good for taking some away from the drums and mids. also in general the e2c's are a little louder.

on to the fit:

people complain about the e2c's but with small flex tips, it is extremely easy for me to put on. i use one hand and let it nestle on the outside of my ear, whatever its called and forms a nice isolation from there to the front/mid of the ear canal. in contrast to the er6i's, i have to use two hands and shove it deep into my ear canal.

not only is it uncomfortable at times and also draws more ear wax out - it is inconsistant. for one, my ear canals are slightly different sizes
frown.gif
and i may put one side in too far or one not enough. when i put it in too far, it is kindof muted. slightly less far and there is a suction feeling. not far enough and there is not a good seal and not enough bass. this is with the tri-flanges - no modding done. and when pulling it out, it can hurt or be tough, possibly require two hands or gripping the little phone tightly on the end. actually, the tri flange looks rather nasty with all the ear wax on it now.

with the e2c, one hand, pulling the ear with the thumb and index, and using the middle finger to put the phone in. can't push it too far because of the big bulk that rests on the ear flap. can't have it not far enough because.. yeah. nice consistant seal - but well the outside of your ear has to be the right size, which i guess makes me lucky. it doesnt get tiring after a while, while the er6i's can.

other than that, i love the lack of tangling on the e2c's cords and the forced over the ear. my sister uses the er6i's as she travels a lot. anyways, my ksc75's came back from warranty and i cant wait to have some fun with those - both the e2c and er6i are too sensitive for my noisy laptop which can hold a lot more music. also i am eagerly awaiting my meizu m6, thanks robert1325 for the suggestion.

Jan 1, 2007 at 11:25 PM Post #4 of 8
I thought E2C were pretty rugged and wouldn't worry about them. ER6i on the other hand do look a little flimsy, but I haven't had or read about any problems.

Taking off the E2C is a bit easier, sometimes with ER6i I can't get a good grip (longer fingernails would help :lol: ) and it takes a while. But on the absolute scale it is still only a brief moment.

ER6i is a bit more comfortable for me because I have quite small ear canals. It is not a huge difference, but I appreciate it. I just got some Shure E3 soft flex sleeves for it and the first impression is good. It seemed easier to put on than the small biflange which I normally use and felt equally comfortable or maybe even a little better. Haven't had a change to use them for long periods of time yet, but I suspect I get the same old slight irritation after 1.5-3 hours of use as I get with any tips.

Jan 2, 2007 at 2:49 AM Post #5 of 8
I had 3 pair of E2c's & all the cords failed (Shorted out internally) inside of 2 weeks. Thinner more flexible cords usually last longer.

Jan 2, 2007 at 10:14 AM Post #6 of 8
wow well yeah ive had my e2cs for almost a month so far, i hope they don't short out internally. i've had the er6i's for half a year. my friend who had er6i's for probably longer than that, said that the right phone started fading out and then got really bad and he can't use them anymore.

i like the e2c's because they don't go far into the ear canal where its a lot smaller for me and is sensitive. perhaps i am putting the er6i's too far or my ear is oddly shaped.

Jan 2, 2007 at 10:23 AM Post #7 of 8
I've had my ER-6i's for about 6 months, abused them quite thoroughly by taking them on the road every week and they are still going strong. They are really quite durable, and I actually find the thin cord to be a bit of an asset....it makes them more lightweight and easier to stow.

The above poster who mentioned a fading driver is likely experiencing a clogged filter. The filter on the right channel of mine clogged after about 5 months of use. I simply replaced the filter (3 pairs of which are included in the packaging) using the provided filter removal tool and it was as good as new. I don't hear of many durability problems with th ER-6i.

Jan 2, 2007 at 10:59 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by germanium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had 3 pair of E2c's & all the cords failed (Shorted out internally) inside of 2 weeks. Thinner more flexible cords usually last longer.

I had the same experience with my first two pairs of E2C, but I think it was just a bad batch of cables and not representative of their normal durability. I used the third pair for over 1.5 years with no problems at all before selling it.

edit:

My memory is not clear, but I think a Shure employee wrote on these boards that they had some quality control problems back then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back