My new META42
Aug 20, 2002 at 9:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

jmelcer

New Head-Fier
My portable META42 arrived this morning. A JMT production, using (to quote the maestro)...

a translucent blue Serpac case. I used Vishay resistors and WIMA reservior caps, polypropylene input caps, 470µF PS caps, and a Panasonic 50K ohm pot.

My portable source is a Sony MZ505 - which I use with my ER4P.

How does it sound? Well, my first impression was errmm, less than favourable - until I realised that the ER4P + amp combo is not a smart one. I had to wait until I got home to use my 4p to 4s cable. With the cable, everything changed. This amp is, without question, so far ahead of the Total Airhead (my only other portable amp) its not real.

The META42 adds real beef to the clean, detailed sound of the Sony. The beauty is that it does it without losing clarity. It extends the bass and adds sparkle to the upper end. The TA on the other hand, adds bottom end, but muddies everything else.

A big thank you to JMT for the obvious care and attention to detail in building it.

Jerome

Aug 21, 2002 at 12:35 AM Post #2 of 21
jmelcer !!

Congtats !!

JMT made for me a CH47 wich is on it's way to Brasil. I'm like a kid here, waiting for it...

Best from

Ari!

Aug 21, 2002 at 2:08 AM Post #3 of 21
Congrats on the new META42 ! I think I'm going to order that cable...

Ari, I know the feeling. Luckily for me it was very short. JMT sent my META42 out Friday, I had it Monday ! I was floored ! Hang in there buddy, it's coming !

Aug 21, 2002 at 8:17 AM Post #4 of 21
Anyone compare Meta 42 (not portable) to a commercially available amp like Creek or Musical Fidelity or Headroom Little? I'd be interested in hearing how it compares.

Aug 21, 2002 at 12:29 PM Post #5 of 21
Bifcake,

Check out kelly's recent review of the Meta42. Very well executed and written. Make's me almost giddy when I think about getting mine. I still have to finalize a few things with JMT and then wait for him to build amps for all the people that ordered ahead of me. It's taking all my effort not to rush it and make sure I get the right configuration for me. I can't say enough good about JMT either, patient, knowledgable and understanding.

Phil

Aug 21, 2002 at 2:27 PM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by HighwayStar
jmelcer,

How much level/volume do you lose by introducing the 4P>4S cable ? Thanks,

A lot! Sorry to be vague, I'm not sure how to quantify this. Taking the MZ505 & META42 setup as an example, if the META is on maximum, the highest bearable volume settings on the 505 would be:-

ER4P 18 to 20
ER4S 25 to 28

(both out of 30)

Does that help?

Jerome

Aug 21, 2002 at 3:01 PM Post #8 of 21
Hi Jerome,

I'm not familar with your Sony, are you using a line out or the headphone out ?

And yes, that's exactly what I was asking. Right now I'm running the META42 at around half volume, with my SlimX line out (that's actually controlled by the volume control and I've read you've got to run that near max to get a typical/standard line out level). So my SlimX is near max and the META42 is just half. I was hoping I'd have the power to utilize the adapter cable, looks like I've got a good chance. (Good thing I went for a dual 9V unit...
biggrin.gif
)

Aug 21, 2002 at 3:24 PM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by HighwayStar
Hi Jerome,

I'm not familar with your Sony, are you using a line out or the headphone out ?

Headphone out (no line out on my MD player, sadly).

I would be very surprised if you didn't have enough power to drive the ER4p + adapter.

Jerome

Aug 21, 2002 at 6:17 PM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by elnero
Bifcake,

Check out kelly's recent review of the Meta42. Very well executed and written.

Phil

I read Kelly's review, but there are a few things that make me take Kelly's review with a grain of salt.

Kelly was expounding the virtues of Meta42 amp even before hearing it, so the review may be somewhat biased. Additionally, there is no mention of the source components used for comparisons and whether the same headphones/components were used for these comparisons.

So, I was hoping someone else may have written a more complete and hopefully unbiased review.

Aug 21, 2002 at 6:24 PM Post #11 of 21
There are tons of short meta-42 reviews and they are all positive. Do a search...
rolleyes.gif

Biggie.

Aug 21, 2002 at 8:03 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by bifcake

I read Kelly's review, but there are a few things that make me take Kelly's review with a grain of salt.

Kelly was expounding the virtues of Meta42 amp even before hearing it, so the review may be somewhat biased. Additionally, there is no mention of the source components used for comparisons and whether the same headphones/components were used for these comparisons.

So, I was hoping someone else may have written a more complete and hopefully unbiased review.

In attempt to keep from derailing jmelcer's well intended post, a response to this has been posted appropriately in the actual review thread: Tangent's META42 headphpne amplifier Review RE: bifcake's comments.

Aug 22, 2002 at 12:39 AM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by jmelcer

Headphone out (no line out on my MD player, sadly).

I would be very surprised if you didn't have enough power to drive the ER4p + adapter.

Jerome

Thanks Jerome, I've ordered the cable
biggrin.gif

Aug 22, 2002 at 12:46 AM Post #14 of 21
jmelcer wrote:
"the ER4P + amp combo is not a smart one."

Can you elaborate? I have the 4p and I'm planning on getting a Meta42 for use with a SlimX. I'm also going to get a replacement cable for the Etys but am undecided if I should choose the 4p, 4s, or the one inbetween. What didn't you like about the 4p with the META?
Thanks
bj

Aug 22, 2002 at 7:21 AM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by bubbaj
jmelcer wrote:
"the ER4P + amp combo is not a smart one."

Can you elaborate? I have the 4p and I'm planning on getting a Meta42 for use with a SlimX. I'm also going to get a replacement cable for the Etys but am undecided if I should choose the 4p, 4s, or the one inbetween. What didn't you like about the 4p with the META?
Thanks
bj

I think "unrefined" works as a description, although someone else on head-fi said an amp had an "obnoxious" effect on the ER4p.

To me, the result was a boomy, imprecise sound - as if the output of the META42 was too much for the ER4ps to handle. As far as I am aware, the Ps are not meant to be amped.

Jerome

Users who are viewing this thread

Back