My new HD-600s.
Aug 10, 2002 at 4:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

neil

500+ Head-Fier
A couple years ago I picked up a pair of Grado SR-80s. Recently, I've had them repaired over @ Grado Labs, and they sound as good as ever. Earlier this year or late last year I took the dive and picked up a pair of Etymotic ER-4S phones. Love them. Isolation is insane.

Well, today, I was knighted with a pair of HD-600s. I've listened to them on plenty of occasions (Jude's house, the office, etc.) I've always like the sound, but they never struck me as anything particularly special -- but of course, when you have your own pair at home, you really have a chance to give them a good listen. And wowzers, these are just beautiful.

Not much more to say, really. I just wanted to spread around some of my joy.
biggrin.gif
Oh yeah, Jack (another fellow we work with) also got a pair of HD-600s just today. He's as happy as a little girl (in my best Deiter voice from SNL), too.

Edit: Whoah, my 400th post!

Aug 10, 2002 at 12:51 PM Post #4 of 10
I think that right now its a case issue. For those of you that don't know this already, I can break anything. So at the moment I'm borrowing Jude's Pelican case which is this near indestructible mega-plastic case. I think I'm going to order one as soon as he puts in an order for other products. But I think I also might want one for my Grados.

Do any of you have any cool cases for your Senns or Grados? I used to cram my Grados in my notebook bag (which is already ridiculously overstuffed). The donuts would be malformed for a good 30 minutes after unpacking them. :)

Aug 10, 2002 at 2:14 PM Post #5 of 10
Mmm, donuts.

neil
Welcome to Team Senn and all that. Hope this means you'll be participating on HeadFi more. Of course, we like that you keep the joint running and all that too--but it's cool to see your posts recently.

Aug 10, 2002 at 2:23 PM Post #6 of 10
My Senns never leave the house unless they are in their original box. I find them too bulky for lugging around, even back and forth to work. I keep them hung up beside my PC attached to an amp and CD player. I can listen while working or for a relaxed listening I can sit on the sofa in my room and loose myself in the music. All without and reconfiguration of equipment.

Aug 10, 2002 at 5:13 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by john_jcb
My Senns never leave the house unless they are in their original box. I find them too bulky for lugging around, even back and forth to work. I keep them hung up beside my PC attached to an amp and CD player. I can listen while working or for a relaxed listening I can sit on the sofa in my room and loose myself in the music. All without and reconfiguration of equipment.

I'd have to put in a hearty recommendation for utterly superb Headroom Headphonebag...I was carrying that @#*& box back and forth to work every day, and it was driving me nuts. The bag has a foam inner bag that cushions the phones nicely, and it makes transportation easier.

But I'm one of those "ya got phones, so use 'em" types, perhaps not seriously tweaked on the "making them last" vector...

Aug 10, 2002 at 7:23 PM Post #8 of 10
[size=xx-small] Quote:

Originally posted by neil
I think that right now its a case issue. For those of you that don't know this already, I can break anything. So at the moment I'm borrowing Jude's Pelican case which is this near indestructible mega-plastic case. I think I'm going to order one as soon as he puts in an order for other products. But I think I also might want one for my Grados.

Do any of you have any cool cases for your Senns or Grados? I used to cram my Grados in my notebook bag (which is already ridiculously overstuffed). The donuts would be malformed for a good 30 minutes after unpacking them. :)

[/size]

Nigel (Neil's nickname with his family/friends), I'll drop off the Sennheiser box that you can use for storage at home. I don't imagine you'll be carrying both the Senns and the Grados at the same time, so you can put whichever you're not using in the Sennheiser hard case and tote the other in the Pelican case. Long story short, you should only need one Pelican case.

Aug 10, 2002 at 7:29 PM Post #9 of 10
[size=xx-small] Quote:

Originally posted by AngusMcToon
I'd have to put in a hearty recommendation for utterly superb Headroom Headphonebag...I was carrying that @#*& box back and forth to work every day, and it was driving me nuts. The bag has a foam inner bag that cushions the phones nicely, and it makes transportation easier.

But I'm one of those "ya got phones, so use 'em" types, perhaps not seriously tweaked on the "making them last" vector...

[/size]

Angus,

While I'm sure the HeadRoom Headphonebag is an excellent product for the rest of us (I've seen it at the HeadRoom shows), I don't think you understand the destructive force that is Neil. I'm probably ruining any chance Neil has at selling his gear on Head-Fi, but, as I've said before, he's like the Samsonite Gorilla (anyone remember those commercials?).

I can name on one hand (even if a few fingers were amputated) the products that Neil has owned that haven't needed repair or replacement. One is a Briggs & Riley notebook computer case; then there's the Omega watch. I'm sure if I think real hard for an hour or two, I might be able to come up with one more.

Given his nuclear-weapon-like ability to destroy, I'm guessing the Pelican -- or maybe something custom configured by ZERO Halliburton -- would be the ideal solution for Neil to transport his headphones.

Aug 12, 2002 at 2:42 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by jude I can name on one hand (even if a few fingers were amputated) the products that Neil has owned that haven't needed repair or replacement. One is a Briggs & Riley notebook computer case; then there's the Omega watch. I'm sure if I think real hard for an hour or two, I might be able to come up with one more.

Given his nuclear-weapon-like ability to destroy, I'm guessing the Pelican -- or maybe something custom configured by ZERO Halliburton -- would be the ideal solution for Neil to transport his headphones.

Briggs & Riley notebook case? Defective. Omega watch? Normal wear and tear. Now, I'm really down with the custom ZERO Hallibruton case idea -- let me know when it arrives for testing!
biggrin.gif

Thanks for all of your suggestions. However, I just took a look @ that Headroom Headphone bag, and unfortunately, all I'd have left is an HD-600 3-D jigsaw to piece back together after one commute. I do think that the Pelican will be my choice -- even though it looks like I'm carrying my handgun or a really fancy lunch.

Quote:

Originally posted by kelly neil Welcome to Team Senn and all that. Hope this means you'll be participating on HeadFi more. Of course, we like that you keep the joint running and all that too--but it's cool to see your posts recently.

Thanks kelly! Indeed, I am a part of the team Senn. Listening to Diana Krall right now and phew, I'm really just blown away at the range of these phones. The sound stage on these Senns makes her piano and her bassist so close I can just about touch them. Its true, I do lurk and drift; however, when it comes down to it, I love coming here to yack with the Head-Fi crew! Things are just kinda nutty at work right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back