My new dymanic amp, w/ pics!
Aug 26, 2002 at 6:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 60

antness

Member of the Trade: HeadAmp
Hello,

I'm very excited to show my latest amp, which is a clone of Kevin Gilmore's dynamic amp. First, some info about what is inside the amp

- Handmatched Vishay-Dale resistors, matched to 0.05%
- Transistors/LEDs matched to 0.05%
- OPA227 opamp for servo loop
- Alps Blue potentiometer
- Neutrik locking jack, black w/ gold contact
- Cardas RCA jacks
- XLR connection between PS and amp (future builds will use DIN)
- Ultra-bright blue LEDs

What is in the power supply:

- Talema toroidal transformer
- Panasonic caps
- Wima box caps
- Vishay-Dale resistors matched to 0.05%
- Adjustable voltage output w/ pot, 5V to 24V 800mA

How this began?

This project started with dissatisfaction of my META42 amp. I had built a META42 amp for home use before using Tangent's board, and I know it sounded much better. Since I don't need portability, I decided to build the amp to end all amps - still being solid state, of course. I ended up choosing the Gilmore amp after reading all of its praise on the forum. A couple weeks of careful part selecting, and I was on my way. BTW - the power supply PCB is home made, and the amp PCBs are miniboards from ExpressPCB. Future amps will use production boards. I built the amp, and surprisingly, it works great.

The amp is housed in a Hammond aluminum enclosure, and the power supply is housed in an identical enclosure. This works very well. If I wish to use this killer power supply with another amp, i just hook it right up.

A Review:

I listened to this amp with HD600s, my best cans. First impression compared to META42: wow. could not believe my ears. Even a MP3, the Gilmore amp reproduced so much better than the META42. It's like when you're on a plane, and you pop your ears - and your hearing is suddenly much more detailed. Going from a META42 to this amp is just like that. Everything is more open and detailed. The bass is incredible, you can just feel it all around you. The mids and highs are also superior to the META42 amp, in that they are more detailed and open. The Gilmore amp powers my HD600s to more than enough volume. Also, I listened on some Sony MDR-V600 cans and they came out of their shell a bit, and sounded great compared to how they are with a weaker amp. I know i'm not too good in reviews, so i'll summarize it this way: the META42, and any of my opamp based amps, sound far away and muddy in comparison to this amp.

Without further ado...the pictures:

cover_shot.jpg

A shot of my baby and headphones together

front.jpg

The front..look at those LEDs glow

back.jpg

The back, where all the action begins..

inside.jpg

The inside! Yes, the amp itself is tiny - those are miniboards.

Thanks for checking my amp out. Ever finish a project and you just can't stop smiling and looking at it? This is that project for me!

-antness

Aug 26, 2002 at 4:19 PM Post #7 of 60
Quote:

(looks like I'm not the only customer of wilsonjim, huh? Nice power supply!)

antness happens to be wilsonjm
wink.gif
cool.gif

Aug 27, 2002 at 4:03 AM Post #11 of 60
i just bought some hd600's and want to build an amp, could this thread be any more pertinent?!
smily_headphones1.gif

can you say how much it was to build? i don't have a ton of money to spend right now since i limit my audio expenditures because... well i have a problem hehe.

you designed this yourself? i mustbuild this!
smily_headphones1.gif
LoL any help would be soo appreciative.

Aug 27, 2002 at 9:50 AM Post #12 of 60
Makes me want to dive straight into DIY. My target to build my own cmoy amp is still on hold till I learn the basics all over again. Anyone got any advice for a total n00b? Any good books or links to read for a layman (& I mean a REAL hopeless layman!) to understand?

Aug 27, 2002 at 6:41 PM Post #13 of 60
woah. i just read the project thread on headwize for this baby a couple days ago, and after seeing this beauty, i definately want one. and i also am curious what kind of ballpark cost these primo parts add up to. probably save some just buying a transformer instead of a fancy dual ps wallwart.

well, next step is meta42, then i'll start looking more closely =) that reminds me, i've gotta go make my order...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back