My new baby. The NAD 514.
Mar 3, 2006 at 6:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

stewtheking

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi

I don't know if anybody remembers me asking a little while ago about a quieter CD player. I decided to pull the trigger on a NAD 514 I spotted on ebay.

My first impressions are that it is a MASSIVE upgrade from my cambridge audio cd5. To say the transport is whisper-quiet would be a lie, it's quieter. And the sound it makes is just fantastic. I have seen reviews that hint that this CD player is quite good at sounding "analogue" in the high-end and I can kind-of see what they mean, It really lifts my music to a higher level. Joni Mitchell sounds so sweet through my cans...

I am going to sit smugly and smile for a bit....
rs1smile.gif

Stew

Mar 8, 2006 at 7:44 PM Post #2 of 3
I have a NAD 512 that I still count as one of my favorite audio components. Its at my parents house at the moment, but they rarely use it. Will bring it back home someday. It was my first "real" quality cd player. Love it.

I still think the 512 and 514 were two of NAD's best CD players of all time. The 540 series was good, but never quite had the warmth of the 51x series.

Mar 8, 2006 at 10:33 PM Post #3 of 3
I'd almost forgotten that I had posted about it. After some serious listening (just finished my 3rd day off work this week... yup lazybones here) I am extremely happy with it. Although the main "problem" with my old machine was the transport, the sonic improvements on this NAD baby are very audible, the music just seems to have more... life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back