My letter to Sandisk Sansa - Praising them for 3 years of 99% stress free listening. I HOPE SANSA READS THIS!!!!
Jul 15, 2010 at 6:15 AM Post #46 of 69

Quote:
heres a guy who said the zen had a 40mw
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35708

dapreview estimates the zen at 30mw
http://www.dapreview.net/zune_vs_ipod_vs_zvm.html

but creative zens forums says 44mw
http://forums.creative.com/t5/MP3-Players/Creative-Zen-Output-Power/m-p/508606/highlight/true;jsessionid=7DE826D529E76D1EE0981A8B986D9376

we were both wrong, i was too low, you were too high but the fuze still bests it :wink:

.....and this is where I really embarrass myself showing my age. I was thinking about the good old days of the Creative Zen Xtra and Zen NX that originally had the 55MW / CH output. Seems Creative changed the specs and output with the Zen vision M. On a Sansa note though, I have in my possession 6 Sansa Clips ( don't ask ), so you don't have to sell me on Sansa products as I've become extremely fond of all my clips especially the latest 8gb Clip plus with an added 16 GB micro SD card connected to a pair of Sennheiser MX580 earbuds and the EQ tweaked to be bass friendly. Overall, the sound coming out of this little marvel is brilliant. Just can't relate to anyone that doesn't like the sound coming out of the Clip, but to each is own I guess.

Jul 15, 2010 at 12:53 PM Post #48 of 69

Quote:
yes it is darker.  it is highly reflective so the flash on a camera will make it look lighter.  It's for sure darker.  I tried to get minimal flash going so you can see the difference, its much darker than the photos.  

Nice photo, very revealing of the true color. Thank you, sir. It looks even better than I thought. Hasn't the Fuze been out as long as the original Clip was at the time it was updated? I wonder if a Fuze+ is in the works.

Jul 15, 2010 at 1:14 PM Post #49 of 69

Quote:
Nice photo, very revealing of the true color. Thank you, sir. It looks even better than I thought. Hasn't the Fuze been out as long as the original Clip was at the time it was updated? I wonder if a Fuze+ is in the works.

I would think so, but since the Clip+ was a big surprise, I imagine if they do a Fuze + it will be too. They really should offer one with more internal memory.

Jul 15, 2010 at 1:51 PM Post #50 of 69
I just ordered a Fuze today, this thread was the extra nudge I needed. Thanks very much for that. I had been thinking about a J3 or S:flo2, but the price( I picked up an 8gb fuze and 4gb card for £39.99) was hard to ignore, even at full retail they are priced to shift.

I just need to get new set of IEMs now. Any recommendations that don't break the bank? I prefer detail and clarity to headshaking bass, I like my bass, but not so much that I can put up with a flabby muddled bottom end, I've got a decent portable amp, so driving isn't any issue.

I'm really looking forward to it arriving!

Jul 15, 2010 at 2:07 PM Post #51 of 69
^ Not sure what qualifies as bank breaking, but some IEMs to consider could be RE0 ($80USD), Soundmagic PL50($55USD), and possibly the new Meelec M11+ pending reviews (50-60USD once it hits online retailer shelves). Not sure what those prices convert to these days. The M11+ would likely have added shipping costs outside US, too.

Jul 15, 2010 at 2:22 PM Post #52 of 69
I'll have a look into some reviews for them, don't cost an a fortune either. I don't mind spending a lot on headphones, but they'll see the least use out of all my gear. clarity over bloat and I'm good to go. Ta, luv.

Jul 15, 2010 at 4:56 PM Post #53 of 69

Quote:
Overall, the sound coming out of this little marvel is brilliant. Just can't relate to anyone that doesn't like the sound coming out of the Clip, but to each is own I guess.

Maybe if you ever get something better than the Sennheiser MX580 earbud you'll be able to relate.

Quote:

I just need to get new set of IEMs now. Any recommendations that don't break the bank? I prefer detail and clarity to headshaking bass, I like my bass, 

Apparently some think the Sennheiser MX580 earbuds sound good w/ Sansas.  I don't prefer the Clip+ SQ rockboxed or not but the best sounding IEM I have heard from it is the Brainwavz M1 (Eq'd).  Many like the M2/Visang 03 which I have not heard.

Jul 15, 2010 at 5:06 PM Post #54 of 69
I think it depends on where you are coming from as well as your uses for portable. If I wanted to do any kind of critical listening the clip+ would not be my first choice. I do very much like my clip+ since I don't think I'll find a better deal for my purposes. 8GB for $40 is hard to find and I get rockbox since I hate the crappy sansa firmware. The clip+ does have a pretty flat response and doesn't have any noticeable rolloff to my ears at least. It does suffer from other things such as driving power (not volume..I get plenty of that), separation, dynamics and some other issues. It's not bad in those areas but not great either. I don't consider the clip+ a bad player or a great player but in the middle of the pack but for $40 it's hard to be beat. Now if I wasn't asleep for most of my usage with the clip+ maybe I would want to get something better but that's unlikely and I will keep the clip+ as my portable for a very long time.

I feel the e-Q7 sounds good with the clip+ as that is my typical portable setup but some others are not so good such as the M9 I have but that may have something to do with the M9 as well..

Jul 15, 2010 at 5:31 PM Post #55 of 69
There is nothing wrong with the Clip+ except for the people on Head-fi that proclaim it to be as good or better than any other option.  That is simply untrue.  The biggest problem the Clip has are its the overzealous fanboys that lack perspective where SQ is concerned.

The player is fine for what it is. 

Jul 15, 2010 at 6:10 PM Post #57 of 69

Quote:

Maybe if you ever get something better than the Sennheiser MX580 earbud you'll be able to relate.

Apparently some think the Sennheiser MX580 earbuds sound good w/ Sansas.  I don't prefer the Clip+ SQ rockboxed or not but the best sounding IEM I have heard from it is the Brainwavz M1 (Eq'd).  Many like the M2/Visang 03 which I have not heard.

Might try all or some of those when finances allow just for comparison. Only tried the Clip with Senn's PX100's and 200's, Koss Portapros / KSC 35/75's, Yuin PK3's, PK1's, Grado SR80's and Triple-fi Pro's. For some reason, maybe on a synergy level, where each complements the other, I still prefer using the clip with the Senn MX580's even over the triple-fi's. The triple-fi's, in my world, just bonded with my Ipod classic and in order for me to be satisfied with the sound coming out of my touch, I need the triple fi-'s used with a fiio E1 mini amp. Go figure!

When you get older, I don't know how much sound changes to the ears, but I've found I need to work a bit harder at finding the best sound to come out of a player when using the type of earphones / IEM's I have in my possession and when I think about all the purchases I've made in the the last few years, I've realized that I've been sending a lot more stuff back due to being unsatisfied with the sound. I could be just imagining it or remembering it differently, but for all the players I've owned from the old school stuff like Creative's Zen line, the Rio Karma, various Cowon and Iriver players, to me, I just remember things being a lot less complicated finding the best phone match in order to get the best sound out of a player. Probably too many rock concerts have contributed to how I hear sound differently now and I was probably less picky back then, but in this case, all I can say is that a $45 player ( Sansa Clip 8GB plus from a Dell special  ) with a $15.00 16GB micro expansion card and a $30.00 pair of MX580's have been joined together and put a big old smile on my face. That's got to count for something.

Sorry to go off topic Swbf2cheater!!

Jul 15, 2010 at 6:54 PM Post #58 of 69

Quote:
Might try all or some of those when finances allow just for comparison. Only tried the Clip with Senn's PX100's and 200's, Koss Portapros / KSC 35/75's, Yuin PK3's, PK1's, Grado SR80's and Triple-fi Pro's. For some reason, maybe on a synergy level, where each complements the other, I still prefer using the clip with the Senn MX580's even over the triple-fi's. The triple-fi's, in my world, just bonded with my Ipod classic and in order for me to be satisfied with the sound coming out of my touch, I need the triple fi-'s used with a fiio E1 mini amp. Go figure!

When you get older, I don't know how much sound changes to the ears, but I've found I need to work a bit harder at finding the best sound to come out of a player when using the type of earphones / IEM's I have in my possession and when I think about all the purchases I've made in the the last few years, I've realized that I've been sending a lot more stuff back due to being unsatisfied with the sound. I could be just imagining it or remembering it differently, but for all the players I've owned from the old school stuff like Creative's Zen line, the Rio Karma, various Cowon and Iriver players, to me, I just remember things being a lot less complicated finding the best phone match in order to get the best sound out of a player. Probably too many rock concerts have contributed to how I hear sound differently now and I was probably less picky back then, but in this case, all I can say is that a $45 player ( Sansa Clip 8GB plus from a Dell special  ) with a $15.00 16GB micro expansion card and a $30.00 pair of MX580's have been joined together and put a big old smile on my face. That's got to count for something.

Sorry to go off topic Swbf2cheater!!

Synergy is a big deal.  BIG deal!!  I'm going to add synergy along w/ imaging as the least discussed issues on these boards.  

I have my cheapie Clip+ setup as well, can't complain.  Just think its a bit overrated.  My Hippo Gumstick just arrived so we shall see.  I got a damn good deal on it so that may threaten the whole Clip bang/buck thing for me.  

Jul 15, 2010 at 7:12 PM Post #59 of 69
I've been told the gumstick is a bit better than the fuze in overall SQ and has power close to the s:flo2 so it should be a good player. I'm tempted to get the gumstick from Jaben just because of the bundles they have and get a dap for real cheap after selling the other item that comes with it.

Jul 17, 2010 at 9:34 AM Post #60 of 69
So my Fuze arrived today and I was fortunate enough to get a v1. My problem is this, whenever I touch the wheel or home button, the screen goes black. I messed with the backlight time and set it stay on for 15 minutes but as soon as I touch the wheel *poof*. About 4 seconds and it comes back on. Is this a known issue that I could fix myself? I had a look on the sansa forums and never really got anywhere, I tried holding the off button for 20 seconds and formatting it in windows.

It's just broken, isn't it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back