My laptop's headphone jack broke
Feb 19, 2012 at 10:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

100+ Head-Fier
'Tis a sad sad day when I plugged in my headphones a little too hard from an aggravated day, and physically broke my headphone jack.

I'm thinking getting it repaired will be too expensive, or just plain undoable, I will get an estimate on the repairal of it when I can (it's weekend so cant call any shop today), but I'm looking for alternatives.

What else can I do to restore headphone audio to my laptop?

Feb 19, 2012 at 11:16 PM Post #5 of 15
Feb 19, 2012 at 11:30 PM Post #6 of 15

Quote:
My headphones are MDR-V6... Im not an audiophile really, just a highschooler who enjoys good audio quality. The stock onboard sound card was fine for me to be honest, so I'm happy with inexpensive basics.

oh well than really does. i would wait around more and see if there is a cheaper alternative or better one..but i don't know or think there is :/ i don't really know much in this price range. but this is ..an inexpensive basic :D

Feb 19, 2012 at 11:32 PM Post #7 of 15

Quote:
oh well than really does. i would wait around more and see if there is a cheaper alternative or better one..but i don't know or think there is :/ i don't really know much in this price range. but this is ..an inexpensive basic :D

Well the fact I'm in Canada and cant get that shipped to me sorta hinders it :l Though I am looking around to see if I can get it shipped to me

Feb 19, 2012 at 11:34 PM Post #8 of 15

Quote:
Well the fact I'm in Canada and cant get that shipped to me sorta hinders it :l Though I am looking around to see if I can get it shipped to me

http://www.head-direct.com/Products/?act=detail&id=113

head direct is hifiman's personal online site

http://hifiman.us/

HiFiMAN also owns and operates Head-Direct, an online webstore featuring the finest headphones and portable audio players available today, including HiFiMAN products.

in case u wanted to make sure

there are many canadian audiophile online stores. look around

but like i said.  i don't really wnat you to move in and buy something. but then again. ...you just want sound again really. so it's not like you need soemthing expensive or actually even need me to have heard this. the reviews are decent anyway :/

Feb 19, 2012 at 11:36 PM Post #9 of 15

Quote:
My headphones are MDR-V6... Im not an audiophile really, just a highschooler who enjoys good audio quality. The stock onboard sound card was fine for me to be honest, so I'm happy with inexpensive basics.

Maybe look for a used original version UDac... it should come inexpensively and will do the job well. 

Feb 19, 2012 at 11:48 PM Post #10 of 15

Quote:
Maybe look for a used original version UDac... it should come inexpensively and will do the job well. 

how much could an MSRP$150 device really sell for used? at that point. most would just say go for an used E10 or..E17 when it is mass released. i think sub $50 for an inexpensive DAC (with built in amp) should do.i mean. he did say inexpensive....regular person inexpensive. not audiophile with HD800 or STAX 009 thinks of inexpensive.

Feb 19, 2012 at 11:54 PM Post #11 of 15

Quote:
how much could an MSRP$150 device really sell for used? at that point. most would just say go for an used E10 or..E17 when it is mass released. i think sub $50 for an inexpensive DAC (with built in amp) should do.i mean. he did say inexpensive....regular person inexpensive. not audiophile with HD800 or STAX 009 thinks of inexpensive.

The original MSRP on these was $99.00 -- I have no clue where you got $150.00.  I have seen them in the $40.00 -50.00 range used, which is why I suggested it.  

Feb 19, 2012 at 11:57 PM Post #12 of 15

Quote:

Yeah I was thinking more in the 40$ range shipped. Looking into the hifiman one. I always heard good stuff about hifiman things : >

Feb 20, 2012 at 12:02 AM Post #13 of 15

Quote:
The original MSRP on these was $99.00 -- I have no clue where you got $150.00.  I have seen them in the $40.00 -50.00 range used, which is why I suggested it.  

oh my mistake sorry. 
L3000.gif
 i just did a quick goole search and $150 MSRP seemed to be it. i knew there was something wrong..as why would u mention that. but i was busy so i just thought nothing of it.

Quote:
Yeah I was thinking more in the 40$ range shipped. Looking into the hifiman one. I always heard good stuff about hifiman things : >

I'm more with the FiiO league. but the cheapest DAC of fiio is $80 new and is the E10. there's a couple others like the D3 and E7 but those won't work. don't get D3. it won't work with your setup. as ur not an legit audiophile i wont' really try to convince u to spend more money on a DAC than ur headphones..but take a look at fiio E10 reviews. like the one's from headfonia and etc. it might start your conversion process 
L3000.gif
 if not. then. all u really need is a alternative fix and not really care aboutsound quality; as long as it's not below your laptops

Feb 20, 2012 at 12:09 AM Post #14 of 15

Quote:
oh my mistake sorry. 
L3000.gif
 i just did a quick goole search and $150 MSRP seemed to be it. i knew there was something wrong..as why would u mention that. but i was busy so i just thought nothing of it.

I'm more with the FiiO league. but the cheapest DAC of fiio is $80 new and is the E10. there's a couple others like the D3 and E7 but those won't work. don't get D3. it won't work with your setup. as ur not an legit audiophile i wont' really try to convince u to spend more money on a DAC than ur headphones..but take a look at fiio E10 reviews. like the one's from headfonia and etc. it might start your conversion process 
L3000.gif
 if not. then. all u really need is a alternative fix and not really care aboutsound quality; as long as it's not below your laptops

I'd love to become an audiophile, but I'm a highschool student who goes out a lot and does not really treat his audio equipment with utmost care (hence why I have MDR-V6s... Durable as tanks and even I still managed to do a number on em... Love these things though), and my part-time job just wont cut it for the expensive hobby. Literally ANYTHING that isnt below my laptop's sound card would be great, espiecally if it's cheap. I'll get back to you guys on what exactly my sound card is in a bit.

Edit: Device manager says its a "ATI High Definition Audio Device" and a "IDT High Definition Audio CODEC"... Doesnt exactly sound like device numbers but... That's all the info I got :l

Feb 20, 2012 at 12:13 AM Post #15 of 15

Quote:
I'd love to become an audiophile, but I'm a highschool student who goes out a lot and does not really treat his audio equipment with utmost care (hence why I have MDR-V6s... Durable as tanks and even I still managed to do a number on em... Love these things though), and my part-time job just wont cut it for the expensive hobby. Literally ANYTHING that isnt below my laptop's sound card would be great, espiecally if it's cheap. I'll get back to you guys on what exactly my sound card is in a bit.

k thanks. im not sure how good the 101 is..but really...very few things espeicaly when external and bought and buy a reputable company can be as bad as laptop out. i have a desktop .self built with ASUSTek Gaming class motherboard in it with a very high spec'd intergrated sound card/chip ...it sounds like crap. and this is better than what most laptops use..which sound evne worse than wht my desktop does. so basically...yeah :/ 

the only computers with great onboard sound...standard throughout the whole line are Macbook's. it's a Head fi and audiophile favorite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back