My Klipsch Image X10 is ripping apart! Recommendation for a similar IEM?
Nov 6, 2008 at 8:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Solid Snake

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

DSC01621.jpg

DSC01622.jpg

I have an issue with my Klipsch Image IEM. The rubber pieces are ripping apart and it will eventually just come off. So now, I have to send these off to Klipsch to get them repaired or replaced. Instead of this happening again, I would prefer something similar but more durable quality.

I have used these everywhere I went because of its great comfort, excellent sound isolation, and of course excellent sound quality. I always took these with my studying and working out sessions. I listen mostly to electronica and trance.

I am guessing that if I use IEM for working out, I should stay away from rubber?

My main goal is to find a similar IEM to the Klipchs Images that can take abuse.

I already tried the vibes, Atrio m5 and they did not work out for me.

Any suggestions would be very helpful!

I have to stress again though, comfort is extremely important for me, isolation would be the next important quality.

Nov 6, 2008 at 9:03 PM Post #2 of 13
Posted a reply in your other thread. You should have this one deleted and have that one moved here by a mod since you just basically copied and pasted your first post there.

Nov 6, 2008 at 9:29 PM Post #3 of 13
What other thread? Don't see it listed in Portable phones. Anyway, I have the X10s, and they are pretty delicate phones. I would never work out in expensive IEMs, not sure they are built for that type of pounding in general. As far as comfort goes, afraid you are going to be spoiled by the Images, though, because when it comes to comfort, they are very tough to beat. Why not just get your new pair and use them for everyday, non-workout listening? Hopefully Klipsch will just replace, not repair, them.

I would get a pair of relatively inexpensive canalphones (by comparison) like Senn CX300s or something along those lines in the $50 range. The Cx500s are $55 at Soundearphones.com.

Nov 6, 2008 at 9:34 PM Post #4 of 13
Ah sorry, he posted this thread in the Fullsize headphone forum last night/this morning.

Nov 6, 2008 at 10:24 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by RAQemUP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Posted a reply in your other thread. You should have this one deleted and have that one moved here by a mod since you just basically copied and pasted your first post there.

I do apologize about that, I usually never do this but I am getting a little desperate with my search for new IEM because I am going to have to send the Image off soon which will leave me no IEM. Sometimes the same question in one forum will be even better answered in the other forum.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What other thread? Don't see it listed in Portable phones. Anyway, I have the X10s, and they are pretty delicate phones. I would never work out in expensive IEMs, not sure they are built for that type of pounding in general. As far as comfort goes, afraid you are going to be spoiled by the Images, though, because when it comes to comfort, they are very tough to beat. Why not just get your new pair and use them for everyday, non-workout listening? Hopefully Klipsch will just replace, not repair, them.

I would get a pair of relatively inexpensive canalphones (by comparison) like Senn CX300s or something along those lines in the $50 range. The Cx500s are $55 at Soundearphones.com.

Unfortunately, you are probably right. The comfort seems way to good to be true with any other IEM besides the Image X10.

I will keep searching though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAQemUP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shame about your Klipsch X10s doing that, but it only affected the rubber strain relief? Might be good to get some heat shrink wrap to add further support to it.

The only other earphone besides the Klipsch that I read up on that appear to be almost as comfortable would be the Sleek SA6. Plus those have interchangeable parts and cables which may be a solution for you. There are a few Head-Fi peeps that post in the portable forum that have owned both and say they are both remarkably similar in sound quality, with the Sleeks having better midrange and the Klipsch having better bass.

All in all goodluck with your search, but comfort-wise I have a feeling nothing will touch the Klipsch with everything else thats out there atm.

I got your reply. It seems like I will have to go for a cheaper solution for working out. I will take a look at the SA6 for sure. Thanks!

Nov 6, 2008 at 10:58 PM Post #6 of 13
I own the SA6 as well, and while they are comfy, I would not recommend them as work-out phones. They are $200. And you can get the Images for that now, on Amazon, today. Actually, $211.

Nov 6, 2008 at 11:07 PM Post #8 of 13
I had trouble working out with the Images, but really love the phones for the comfort, SQ, an smallness. The cord is too heavy, and has no shirt clip, and the things kept falling out.

I do use the Ety ER6i for workout, and it does great. The cord is light, and has a shirt clip. Not quite the SQ of the Image, but pretty good.

Nov 7, 2008 at 3:44 AM Post #9 of 13
Sleek SA6 also have a wireless option now though its a bit pricey since you would need to buy the SA6 as well.

Edit: @Solid Snake: BTW I didn't mean to come out all crass. Just meant it would benefit you more to stick to one thread so that all the suggestions build off each other as they sometimes do.
smily_headphones1.gif
It's all good any how.

Nov 18, 2008 at 9:47 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bones13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had trouble working out with the Images, but really love the phones for the comfort, SQ, an smallness. The cord is too heavy, and has no shirt clip, and the things kept falling out.

I do use the Ety ER6i for workout, and it does great. The cord is light, and has a shirt clip. Not quite the SQ of the Image, but pretty good.

After some more research, I am deciding between the Westone UM 1 and the Ety ER6i for workout.

BUT, I am leaning more towards to the UM 1 because of less microphonics. I know that many would recommend the UM 2 but I am worried about taking expensive IEMs out to the gym where they potentially can get damaged.

@RAQemUP
No worries, I knew you were just giving helpful advice. I appreciate it!

Nov 19, 2008 at 1:16 AM Post #11 of 13
Oh no...time to call my little guy Wilfredo... Let him bring the Crazy Glue...

As a long time owner of the Klipsch X5, Wilfredo has always been careful when handling these amazing little gems...

Klipsch is a good company though...drop them an e-mail

Nov 19, 2008 at 6:55 AM Post #12 of 13
What about Etymotics? They don't have the bass like the klipsch, but are solid. Or the Sleek Audio SA6, which can change the cables.

Nov 19, 2008 at 8:32 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by oak3x /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh no...time to call my little guy Wilfredo... Let him bring the Crazy Glue...

As a long time owner of the Klipsch X5, Wilfredo has always been careful when handling these amazing little gems...

Klipsch is a good company though...drop them an e-mail

Yes, I did already and they have given me permission to send it to them. They said they will switch it out with a brand new one which I will be selling once I get it back from them.

I really, really love the sound of the Klipsch but the durability is a big factor for what I need it to do.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zhdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about Etymotics? They don't have the bass like the klipsch, but are solid. Or the Sleek Audio SA6, which can change the cables.

I am also considering those too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back