My JMT is malfunctioning
Apr 24, 2002 at 4:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

FlurkingShnit

100+ Head-Fier
I was in the library this morning and I was listening to my Sony D-25S with JMT built CHA 47 and my Etys and everything was going fine. Suddenly the LED light on the JMT dims to almost nothing and the sound gets distorted and staticky and muffled and ugly and just plain horrible sounding.

Do you guys think it was because of the D-25S being used portably? I checked the battery snap for the 9V battery and it was a little loose but it was just as loose at home and the amp was working fine over there.

I'll check to see what happens when I go home but if it turns out to be an irrepairable defect with the JMT that means I'll be ampless. That really sucks...............
frown.gif

Any of you more experienced Head'fiers have an idea what the problem may be?

Apr 24, 2002 at 4:51 PM Post #2 of 9
hey flurking,
just a guess, but have you tried another battery?

best,
carlo

Apr 24, 2002 at 7:08 PM Post #3 of 9
Yes I have experienced the same problem as you are describing.

MY BATTERIES RAN OUT!!!

very_evil_smiley.gif

Biggie.

Apr 24, 2002 at 7:14 PM Post #4 of 9
Well you guys are just making me feel so nice.............<cough>

Anyway.............YES........the battery I took with me was a brand new never before used fresh out of the package never even looked at battery...
mad.gif

Apr 24, 2002 at 7:39 PM Post #5 of 9
The sonic symptoms that you desribed happened to me when my D-25s battery died. It does sound like the new battery that you put in your amp is not putting out the true voltage that it's supposed to. Check another battery, if that doesn't work, PM me.

Apr 24, 2002 at 7:47 PM Post #6 of 9
Ok, the problem seems to have gone away. I tried using another battery, (one slightly used) and the bad sound went away. It seems that the brand new battery was a big fat lemon. I wish I had asked for a wall wart capability when I got this amp. Oh well, I'll just have to keep waiting for tax return so that I can finally but some outlaw interconnects and an MG head.

Thanks for the help JMT. It's still a great amp. The d-25s though is turning out to be like the worst portable ever. The battery life just isn't there. The thing barely ran through one cd without dying. I think I'm going to have to buy a panasonic ct570 or just use my 4P's with my old Aiwa pcdp.

Apr 24, 2002 at 10:06 PM Post #8 of 9
I just ordered a Plainview 9.6 V @ 170 mAH battery and accompanying charger from Thomas Distributing. Thanks Audio & Me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back