My iPod is full...viator not happy
Jul 12, 2005 at 3:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

viator122

Headphoneus Supremus
So with the addition of Live At The Atlanta International Pop Festival: July 3 & 5, 1970 by The Allman Brothers Band, my iPod is finally filled to capacity.

This stinks.
pukeleft0ce.gif

So now I have to either make playlists with enough songs to fill my iPod to capacity OR allow iTunes to put as many songs as it can on the iPod? How do I know which songs are on the iPod and which aren't?

Ugh.

Jul 12, 2005 at 4:11 PM Post #4 of 24
20GB, about 3200 songs ripped in either APS or using iTunes MPS encoder to make VBR MP3s with a floor of 160kbps.

And I don't feel like upgrading. The 20gigs is more than enough space, I just want to make managing the space easy.

Jul 12, 2005 at 4:13 PM Post #5 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
Another option- delete.
We all have music around we don't need anymore.

I may have some that I don't dig too much anymore, but I also have about 15 more CDs to rip, so deleting would be a temporary, stopgap meaure at best.

Jul 12, 2005 at 4:15 PM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by viator122
The 20gigs is more than enough space

obviously isin't
biggrin.gif

Quote:

I just want to make managing the space easy.

fair enough. So delete some songs, re encode at lower bit rate or buy larger sized HD

Jul 12, 2005 at 4:44 PM Post #8 of 24
As I listen, I use the star rating to mark songs I want to delete from the library. Five stars means keep forever, and one star means delete. As I go along culling like this, my library gets better and better.

See ya
Steve

Jul 12, 2005 at 4:49 PM Post #9 of 24
i bumped up against my 40 gig limit a while ago. i did a hard listen to 320aac versus lossless, figured i really couldn't tell the difference, then converted the whole thing to 320. Bingo, I have 18 more gigs to play with now!

Jul 12, 2005 at 5:17 PM Post #10 of 24
*sigh* I know your pain, my music folder currently holds 185,52GB and I am still stuck with my 20GB 3G for the lack of an interesting current iPod (with say 80GB or some other compelling improvements over the 4G).

The playlist approach works quite well. I have a "must have" playlist with music I want on my iPod no matter what (about 9GB) and several volume limited smart playlists that collect the latest additions to my library, songs I played a lot in a certain timeframe or rathed highly. All these lists are autosynced. This way I know that upon rippin' Missy's latest album I will have it on the pod after the next sync, and since it's kickin' on high rotation it is unlikely to be deleted once the "new stuff" smart playlist stops holding it
icon10.gif

Jul 12, 2005 at 5:46 PM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver :)
*sigh* I know your pain, my music folder currently holds 185,52GB

I read that a couple of time trying to figure out how someone could have over 18 terabytes worth of music before I realized you're in Europe.
eek.gif

I don't need to have all my music on the iPod, but it would be nice for iTunes to give you a list of what is not on the iPod.

Also, if you let iTunes fill the player for you, how does it choose which songs to put on and which to leave off? Does it split up albums?

Jul 12, 2005 at 7:55 PM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

I read that a couple of time trying to figure out how someone could have over 18 terabytes worth of music before I realized you're in Europe.
eek.gif

I don't need to have all my music on the iPod, but it would be nice for iTunes to give you a list of what is not on the iPod.
Also, if you let iTunes fill the player for you, how does it choose which songs to put on and which to leave off? Does it split up albums?

The funniest thing about Europe is the little differences
wink.gif

You can make yet another smart playlist containing all those playlists you sync -> there you have a list of what is on your iPod. You can have iTunes use different modes of sorting in smart playlists. So if you want it to, say, collect in a smart playlist a certain volume of music that you did *not* listen to in the last three months or so, you can have that list sorted by whatever you desire, which will influence the result (eg if you sort by album you will only get full albums).

Jul 12, 2005 at 10:02 PM Post #13 of 24
Get yourself Media Monkey and let the little fellow manage your collection. If you study it and learn how to use it a very large collection can easily be managed. I manipulate a HUGE MP3 collection with the aid of my little banana eating friend.

Jul 12, 2005 at 10:43 PM Post #14 of 24
Correction to blessingx... back up and delete.

I find Smartlists comes into it's own once your library exceeds the capacity of the player. It's time to get creative playlisting!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back