My Humble Review of the most Hated Headphone:K701
Jan 1, 2010 at 10:41 PM Post #16 of 42
Nice review, i am listening to these right now and they are by far my favorite ones. They always deliver superb sound quality, especialy with good amp and source.

Jan 1, 2010 at 10:41 PM Post #17 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by midoo1990 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i bought them used and the former owner had them for 3 months so i think they are burned in.i like them very much but on some recordings i just feel that as you say something is missing in the middle..hollow maybe.neverthless they are joy to listen to.

I replayed the recordings that were showing it originally and it seemed to have at least focussed a little more than at first. It's like the feeling you get with two speakers too wide apart and the 'hole' that you get in the middle.

I wonder how many hours yours have been playing?

I'm at about 500 hours now.

Ian

Jan 1, 2010 at 10:43 PM Post #18 of 42
i got what you mean Kernmac,someone can understand it differently,it is a debatable phrase so i crossed it,no problem.

Jan 1, 2010 at 10:47 PM Post #19 of 42
i dont really know how much they have been played by the former owner but i played them now for 3 straight days and took a long listen to them about 15 hours or so but not one session ofcourse.i will keep them burning in for a week or so as i am a believer in burning in.

Jan 1, 2010 at 10:48 PM Post #20 of 42
Nice review, sir! The last K701 I had in my possession had over 1000 hours of burn in, and at that point I heard no sibilance at all in the male vocals, it was a lot smoother than I expected (and this is saying a lot coming from a Senn fanboy). Time really makes a huge difference with these phones.

Jan 1, 2010 at 10:50 PM Post #21 of 42
thank you Ksu06 for the complement,i love both the senn. and the akg sound although very different but each one do specific genres that really suits it.

Jan 1, 2010 at 10:53 PM Post #22 of 42
Quote:

i dont really know how much they have been played by the former owner but i played them now for 3 straight days and took a long listen to them about 15 hours or so but not one session ofcourse.i will keep them burning in for a week or so as i am a believer in burning in.

People have been telling me 800 hours before they settle properly. I was also told 150 - 300 just to get them in a 'listenable' state!!

After 300, they change less and less apparently.

Ian

Jan 1, 2010 at 10:58 PM Post #23 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by iancraig10 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
People have been telling me 800 hours before they settle properly. I was also told 150 - 300 just to get them in a 'listenable' state!!

After 300, they change less and less apparently.

Ian

i'll keep them burning in as i know how much it can change the sound.thanks Ian.

Jan 1, 2010 at 11:53 PM Post #24 of 42
Quote:

These headphones doesn’t deserve all this bashing, they are one of the best headphones in the world and have a lot of qualities that I think no other headphone has. I made this review and tried to be as objective as possible,and as long as this headphone keep me smiling and tapping my foot, I have no reason to sell them. Thanks everyone,i hope this review will be helpful for everyone considering these headphones.

Happy New Year midoo1990!
I agree with you that K701 has a lot of qualities for a headphone.
And this headphone must be loved and can be loved by any headfier who really love music.
Thank you for a nice review.
By the way I also review my K701. You may also try reading it.
Again, happy new year to you!

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/gra...g-k701-463718/

Jan 2, 2010 at 12:44 AM Post #25 of 42
If the former owner don't burn them intensively for 150 hours you'll have a nice sound surprise coming in your way, especially in the mids and the high area. About the sound stage, the K-702 have this huge depth that relay give you the right and the complete 3D full sphere.

BTW, I fund the K702 to have bigger sound stage compare to the HD-800.

Jan 2, 2010 at 2:58 AM Post #26 of 42
Quote:

Soundstage
I bought this headphone in the first place because I am a sucker for soundstage and airness.i cant enjoy my music unless I feel the wide soundstage and the sense of space.This area is very tricky for me and I will tell you why in a minute.The horizontal soundstage(between your ears) is very wide and out of your head.Excellent indeed. The lateral soundstage is where things become confusing for me. I don’t know how to describe it except in this way: if the distance between the center of your brain and the horizontal soundstage(that is between your ears and extends outside your head)is 20cm,then the distance between the centre of the brainand the lateral soundstage (the soundstage that extends behind your head at the back) Is 10-13cm. I don’t know if this is called soundstage depth or imaging,but it is not consistent. I don’t feel this when I listen to classical or jazz music but I feel it when I play shpongle for example. On my ie8 for example or on any sennheiser headphone, instruments are laid back spreading in the concert hall or in space,never forward sounding…recessed to be exact. On the 701, Extremely wide soundstage(which I love) but the depth is lacking something. Does anyone experience this like me or am I the only one?

This.

This is the only "fault" I can find with K701. I don't know how to fix it, but it's very noticeable if you come from the AD700, which is famous for its directional representation.

When I play music I use the K701. But if I'm gaming I switch back to the AD700 for sure.

Jan 2, 2010 at 5:45 AM Post #30 of 42
The soundstage depth thing I've personally found varies a LOT between amps, tubes, etc. With my WA6 with the Sophia Princess rectifier (soundstage king of tubes for this particular amplifier), I've found the soundstage to be excellent in both width AND depth, pretty much completely 3D. On my other tubes or other amping gear I've had in the past, I've found that the depth suffers and you'd get mostly horizontal soundstage.

Also experiment with ear positioning within the pads to get a different sense of soundstage and different perception of the bass, etc. K701 signature varies quite a bit depending on ear positioning IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back