My HR-2 Review
Oct 19, 2007 at 3:29 AM Post #16 of 48
David,

I really enjoyed your impressions of the HR-2. Would you describe it as a bit tube sounding since you don't hear electronics? Also about your choice of classical...Mahler...any relation?
580smile.gif

david

Oct 19, 2007 at 4:45 AM Post #17 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmk005 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
David,

I really enjoyed your impressions of the HR-2. Would you describe it as a bit tube sounding since you don't hear electronics? Also about your choice of classical...Mahler...any relation?
580smile.gif

david

I'm glad you enjoyed my impressions. While it definitely doesn't sound like it is a tube amp, it has a a warmth which I've only experienced using tube amps. It is the best solid state amp I've ever tried! I'm actually not related to Mahler (I wish I was, and would love to pathelogically believe i am) but my last name is not Mahler, I just go by that haha:)

Oct 19, 2007 at 6:56 AM Post #19 of 48
Great review! Welcome to the RSA fanboi club!
biggrin.gif

Oct 19, 2007 at 7:27 AM Post #21 of 48
Congrats on a great amp ! Excellent review as well ! I love my RSA XP-7 to death. And I'd imagine the HR-2 would be even better.

Just got the LT1028 opamps last week for my XP-7 and my oh my they are so musical. I'm in love with the amp all over again.

Ray's amps are special.

Oct 19, 2007 at 7:29 AM Post #22 of 48
sorry for the double post. My connection screwed up.

Oct 19, 2007 at 2:25 PM Post #23 of 48
This makes me want to get an HR-2! I must try to resist!!!

Oct 19, 2007 at 2:48 PM Post #24 of 48
Hmm... I have been considering an amp upgrade and was leaning toward a GS-1, this thread adds a new wrinkle, especially given the comments in your review! I'd love an amp that would really breathe some more life into my K701.

Oct 20, 2007 at 1:25 AM Post #26 of 48
Thanks. Great Review.
IMO if you want to hear what the HR-2 is capable of, try a pair of LME49710NA-ND op amps, you can buy them at digikey.com for about $ 3.00 dlls. each. Especially good with HD650 and K701. IMO this is the best opamp among the AD797, LT1028 and OPA627; It has a very liquid sound…...
Try for yourself
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 20, 2007 at 1:41 AM Post #27 of 48
I actually tried the LME49710NA in my XP-7. Nice opamp - very detailed and refined but I found it to a bit lacking in bass depth. I personally find the LT1028 to be better, a LOT better. Again different amp, different setup, different ears.

Oct 20, 2007 at 1:57 AM Post #28 of 48
nice review. Since all the amps you had before were like 8 times less then the HR-2, its not really a fair comparison imo. I think you should listen to more things in that price range to see what you like more or less. If the HR-2 is the best, then you'll really be more sure!
biggrin.gif

Oct 20, 2007 at 2:16 AM Post #29 of 48
3000smile.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nice review. Since all the amps you had before were like 8 times less then the HR-2, its not really a fair comparison imo. I think you should listen to more things in that price range to see what you like more or less. If the HR-2 is the best, then you'll really be more sure!
biggrin.gif

I am interested in this, as I would like to get a good solid state amp, and I wonder how this compares with a GS-1, or a Beta22 single ended.

Oct 20, 2007 at 4:25 AM Post #30 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif

David,
We liked reading your impression regardless of what you heard before. Quite frankly, it's rather pompous to shun the guy for sharing...that's what this forum is for...sharing our thoughts on these rigs. OF COURSE, as we listen to more rigs we further define our tastes and we either become helpful in contribution or a drag
wink.gif

david

Users who are viewing this thread

Back