My headphone journey is coming to a near end (for now)....
Jun 18, 2019 at 12:03 AM Post #61 of 66
It’s a great time to be an audiophile now. There’s lots of really good sounding gear that’s not crazy expensive.

For me, I try not to buy stuff that’s crazy expensive because of features I don’t need. For example, I was thinking of buying a very expensive piece of audio gear and it had these features that I did not need. So I basically bought a cheaper unit of another brand that reportedly sounds similar but cheaper because it did not have the extra features that I did not need, plus I bought it used which made it even more affordable.

Also, if you can, audition the products. You’d be surprised that some of the very expensive and popular gear will actually not be you cup of tea and at times, the cheaper stuff will sound better to your taste. So money isn’t everything.

Jul 17, 2019 at 10:42 PM Post #62 of 66
Here are a few speakers that are excellent overall. Especially for details

Bowers and Wilkins 803 series
Monitor Audio Gold 300/200
Focal be1038

And I've heard a tonne of music on these speakers at my local dealer (he's close so I go there to hang out sometimes) all running off a Peachtree Audio integrated amplifier. And they sound ridiculously awesome. So a $1500 amp plugged into $5000-$9000 speakers ($3000-$5000 used) and you're set.
With a system like that you should be set for life!

Aug 2, 2019 at 1:36 AM Post #64 of 66
I didn't end up buying the electrostatics and I haven't bought anything since this post and don't plan to. Some of the suggestions may have made me double minded but I didn't indulge in them after all. It also helped pulling me away from buying headphones was investing money into things that help me with my work of Photography. Like taking classes, invest in better lenses, lights, PC, laptop. I'm focusing on investing in myself. That's another reason why I'm done with headphones. At least for a long long while

Aug 2, 2019 at 1:38 AM Post #65 of 66
And if I need to keep from buying coming to the forums is a bad idea especially the marketplace :) some of those prices will make you cave in

Aug 2, 2019 at 2:48 AM Post #66 of 66
What can happen after finding headphone gold is a re-evaluation of the collection. It’s safe to say people have made both stepping stone purchases and keeper purchases. While at times looking back gives 20/20 vision, most of us didn’t know how to move forward, even after hearing complete systems at shows.

But upon arrival of lasting success, much of a collection can lose personal value. This is one reason the for-sale section gets filled.

Though one good reason to keep older gear is for reference. Also without contrast at times it’s hard to find relative comparisons.

Much of the “secondary” favorites can be reintroduced into listening upon later discovering that the headphones are complementary. After finding audio gold, there appears room for later finding you may only have a headphone perfect for only 1/2 the genres.

In conclusion, I’m reiterating that being done may prove to be 1/2 done as re-evaluation is always on-going. Not to mention the possibility of new music genres requiring demands not yet dreamed of.

Much success though can come from walking away from being over analytical. It seems we can’t see the forest from the trees at times. A week away gains a fresh prospective from a possible myopic evaluation process. A month away can make old headphones sound great or horrible!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back