My HD650 sounds horrible...
Nov 7, 2008 at 11:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

dadozen

100+ Head-Fier
... with just 5hs of burn-in.
beyersmile.png

It's brand new, I got it yesterday, and horrible is not the exact word, but I find it amusing how yesterday it sounded amazing right off the box, and now it's sounding much worse than yesterday.

Before you say something, I know it needs lots more hours burning-in, so I think I'll use some white/pink noise until tomorrow and check again
smily_headphones1.gif

I've read many threads were Senn's owners said that their cans were going back and forth a number of times before showing its true potential. I wonder how long will it take
smily_headphones1.gif

Now I just need to save some beer and cigarette money to buy my Cantate. No way I can afford a Symphony now.

Nov 7, 2008 at 11:46 PM Post #3 of 46
From amazing to horrible overnight? That can not possible be. There must be other factors in play, like tired ears, or some other part of chain gone bad. IMO, the HD650 does not change much with break-in, at least I can not say I have noticed anything worth mentioning.

Nov 7, 2008 at 11:51 PM Post #4 of 46
I was just messing around guys
smily_headphones1.gif

Yesterday I was amazed by its sound signature, and it surely doesn't sound horrible now. It just doesn't sound as good as yesterday. I was already expecting this.

I don't hear any distortion nor anything else, don't worry
smily_headphones1.gif
Trying to explain, it just lost its airness, a bit of soundstage and the midbass seems a little strange. It's sounding too dark for my taste. But I'm not complaining, I know it will get much better with time.

Nov 8, 2008 at 12:01 AM Post #5 of 46
...patience my young padawan....patience...

Nov 8, 2008 at 12:04 AM Post #6 of 46
That is good to hear. Congrats with your new cans! The HD650 plays beautiful IMO.

Nov 8, 2008 at 12:19 AM Post #7 of 46
You have a laptop as source and a portable amp. What do you expect? It is a high end headphone. That means it belongs in a high-end system. It needs a stationary amp and a good source to shine.

Burn-in will not do much for you except for giving you time to get mentally adjusted to the sound. Get a good source and a good amp, preferably balanced in both cases, and you will be amazed at what the HD650 can do. Otherwise, going with the HD600 is probably a better idea. It's cheaper, not as hard to drive, has a more neutral sound and in general sounds better off low-fi and mid-fi gear, though it still improves by leaps and bounds in a high-end system.

The HD650's price is deceptive. It's priced along the same lines as a lot of headphones that will sound just fine off consumer-level gear. But, the HD650 isn't one of those headphones. If it were more expensive, people would give it more respect - and it would still be a good bargain in the proper system.

Nov 8, 2008 at 12:57 AM Post #9 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You have a laptop as source and a portable amp. What do you expect? It is a high end headphone. That means it belongs in a high-end system. It needs a stationary amp and a good source to shine.

Burn-in will not do much for you except for giving you time to get mentally adjusted to the sound. Get a good source and a good amp, preferably balanced in both cases, and you will be amazed at what the HD650 can do. Otherwise, going with the HD600 is probably a better idea. It's cheaper, not as hard to drive, has a more neutral sound and in general sounds better off low-fi and mid-fi gear, though it still improves by leaps and bounds in a high-end system.

The HD650's price is deceptive. It's priced along the same lines as a lot of headphones that will sound just fine off consumer-level gear. But, the HD650 isn't one of those headphones. If it were more expensive, people would give it more respect - and it would still be a good bargain in the proper system.

I'm aware of this. Playing songs from my CDs in my laptop and using DAC/AMP combos is the best I can do now. My sig also says that I'm aiming a Meier Cantate, a stationary amp that will be able to drive my Senns in a better way than my 2Move does now. Not sure if it will bring the full potential of them, since HD650s are known to get better and better with more powerful amps. But it's what my budget allows me to do

wink.gif

Nov 8, 2008 at 12:59 AM Post #10 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by bergman2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...patience my young padawan....patience...

L3000.gif
I promise I'll be

Quote:

Originally Posted by nor_spoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is good to hear. Congrats with your new cans! The HD650 plays beautiful IMO.

Thanks! I'm very excited by having them. Now I have satisfying home and portable rigs. They surely aren't the best, but they are the best I can get now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cantsleep /img/forum/go_quote.gif
take a good care of it. i hate it when it gets paint chipped.

I will
wink.gif

Nov 8, 2008 at 1:05 AM Post #11 of 46
Gods has it really been 2 years since I had mine?

I remember them sounding fan-fing-tastic out of the box.

Then again, today, I wouldn't give them the time of day over event he cheapest most common ortho.

Nov 8, 2008 at 1:30 AM Post #12 of 46
get a new cable for it.
im selling a 10ft factory baby blue cardas in the for sale.

youll love it more.

Nov 8, 2008 at 1:51 AM Post #13 of 46
I'm already doing some researches about a new cable. It must fit my budget( of course ) but still sound great. Can't decide which one. I have even spoken to some head-fi'ers who make some real nice cables for it.

Nov 8, 2008 at 2:05 AM Post #15 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooeric /img/forum/go_quote.gif
get a new cable for it.
im selling a 10ft factory baby blue cardas in the for sale.

youll love it more.

Alternately, sell the HD600, buy an Ergo 2, with change for a few pints. Take money that would have been spent on aftermarket cable, put towards upgrading to Stax.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back