My HD650 opened up all of a sudden
Jan 24, 2007 at 7:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Schalldampfer

1000+ Head-Fier
I don't know what did these... I did run some pink noise through them for a few hours here and there, but I didn't notice the detailing then. It actually started happening just about right after I received my ER-4P, but everything sounds SOOO much clearer on my HD650. I'm noticing the background instruments more prominently. Again, I don't really know what happened here... there seemingly isn't an explanation. And I didn't do anything unusual either. Heck, even the pink noise thing was a few weeks ago.

Jan 24, 2007 at 7:43 AM Post #2 of 20
It was there all there all along, you just didn't realize it. Perhaps when one is actively looking for these things, they are hard to find, especially if you have doubts or are in a bad mood, but when you put the headphones on again without thinking about it, it is all there. Suddenly. Inexplicably.

My own HD650s were open and detailed directly out of the box.

Jan 24, 2007 at 7:44 AM Post #3 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Schalldämpfer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know what did these... I did run some pink noise through them for a few hours here and there, but I didn't notice the detailing then. It actually started happening just about right after I received my ER-4P, but everything sounds SOOO much clearer on my HD650. I'm noticing the background instruments more prominently. Again, I don't really know what happened here... there seemingly isn't an explanation. And I didn't do anything unusual either. Heck, even the pink noise thing was a few weeks ago.

a) It's a mystery
b) It's a miracle
c) Sennheiser is pulling your leg
d) All of the above
e) None of the above
f)
blink.gif

Jan 24, 2007 at 1:37 PM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recall reading at least one account where their HD650 Senns opened up after a few days of burn in.

But mine already had 300+ hours on them, and it wasn't gradual. At least it didn't feel like it.

Jan 24, 2007 at 3:12 PM Post #6 of 20
Jan 24, 2007 at 5:04 PM Post #7 of 20
I find that my mood alternating between other headphones every week or so greatly effects how my headphones sound to me. I assume that i'm not alone in this however many people seem not to like to admit it. When people start spending thousands of dollars on headphones they want the objective truth.

Jan 24, 2007 at 5:07 PM Post #8 of 20
If you had switched to the ER4s for a while, it's probably your ears adjusting and readjusting to the HD650's detail. Mood definitely comes into play, as mentioned, but I would say that's likely the main culprit for a sudden opening up of the headphones.

Jan 24, 2007 at 5:15 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaroncort /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find that my mood alternating between other headphones every week or so greatly effects how my headphones sound to me. I assume that i'm not alone in this however many people seem not to like to admit it. When people start spending thousands of dollars on headphones they want the objective truth.

x2.....the main reason why I can't see how some swear that burn in needs 300+ hourse with certain headphones. There is absolutely no way to remember all the specific details of a headphone's character after one day. I'm getting back to listening to my HD650s after being gone on business. They're sounding slightly different to me then what I remembered from last week. I also have gripes with people trying to do comparisons of headphones from memory. Comparisons I do now, I do from the specific headphones I listened to at headphone meets and could compare directly from.

Jan 24, 2007 at 5:59 PM Post #10 of 20
that happened to me when i tried out other lower end phones and then switched back to my beyers. you just adapted to your er4p's and when you went back to your senns the extra adaption just exaggerated all its strengths over the ety's. i think ppl don't realize how good their phones are until they listen to lower end stuff.

Jan 24, 2007 at 6:38 PM Post #11 of 20
Who knows?

If the sound cleared up right after getting your Etys, you may have finally had a chance to let your ears compare sounds, giving you a frame of reference you didn't use before. Or, given their relatively reservd sound, your headphones may be maturing like the AKG K701 had been documented to do in a recent post. (Or these very headphones in this post.) I wouldn't presume to assert an answer either way - but it's good to know that these phones work well for you now. Perhaps you'd like to elaborate on how the sound seemed to change for you, and your theories?

Jan 24, 2007 at 6:55 PM Post #12 of 20
i understand completely what the OP is experiencing. it happened to me with my 580. after years, yes years..., of hearing a very good laid back sound with that ever-so-slight congested mids and highs, one day it just sounded like something finally loosened up and the detail and loudness i'm hearing now of the same ol' songs is like an epiphony of sort...if only i knew how this came about...

my 580 sounds so much more forward and brighter than my 600 now...even the bass is revealing more detail than the 600, although they share the same exact driver...i'm using 650 cable for both...

i've auditioned the 650's but i prefer my 580 now, over both the 600 and the 650 ...

anyone have an idea what's happened? i want to know in oder to change the 600 too...
wink.gif

Jan 24, 2007 at 7:05 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaroncort /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yes some days my HF-1s bring me close to heaven other times the HD650s yank my chain. Its one of the reasons I cant find it in me to sell any of them.
confused.gif

PS currently wearing HD590s and loving them! go figure.

Jan 24, 2007 at 7:11 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that happened to me when i tried out other lower end phones and then switched back to my beyers. you just adapted to your er4p's and when you went back to your senns the extra adaption just exaggerated all its strengths over the ety's. i think ppl don't realize how good their phones are until they listen to lower end stuff.

you really think the 650s have better detail than er4's
confused.gif
I disagree

Jan 24, 2007 at 7:32 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by XFxGeforced /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you really think the 650s have better detail than er4's
confused.gif
I disagree

It depends on your point of reference and setup. On my setup, the HD650s are the most detailed headphone I have: the 325is are a smidgen more detailed on the top end, but in an unnatural way. Hence why I reserve my recommendation of the HD650 until I know a person is willing to go with a more expensive system for it. The HD580/600 is easier to get to synergize

To takezo, if there's that much of a huge difference between your HD580 and HD600 on your setup, either A: your 600 grills need to be replaced with the 580s, or B: you need to deveil your ears with the 600
biggrin.gif
At a recent headphone meet, I had my HD580s, and another Head-fier had a recabled 600. Some people's impressions where that they sounded extremely alike.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back