My grados are dying, should I stax?
Mar 30, 2004 at 11:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

kartik

Headphoneus Supremus
With great sadness, I would like to report the impending demise of my beloved Grado SR-325s. Unfortunately my high volume listening and iron ears have meant that my cans are dying before my hearing. Even mildy increased sounds are treated with unbearable grattle (R>L) and the threshold for grattle has been steadily falling over the last week or so. I tried looking from outside and see no evidence of hair or any other forwign bodies in the driver housing. Suggestions for repair or replacement will be welcome. I wonder what people think about the Stax SR-001/005 and the 4040/313 combination?

Mar 31, 2004 at 12:09 AM Post #2 of 17
If you really do love them why don't you get your Grados repaired? Of course you are welcome to join team Stax at any time
wink.gif

Mar 31, 2004 at 12:10 AM Post #3 of 17
Suck 'em. Put your mouth up to the screen in front of the drivers and suck gently. Seriously. After that, take a hair dryer, and blow it at the diaphragm briefly, to fix any creases.

I reccomend this every single time a case of grattle is introduced in this forum, because it has never once failed me.

Mar 31, 2004 at 12:17 AM Post #4 of 17
I already did that. It got better, and now it's getting worse. This is not sounding good.

Mar 31, 2004 at 12:25 AM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by kartik
I already did that. It got better, and now it's getting worse. This is not sounding good.

Ew, that is bad then. I suppose I would reccomend just sending them to Grado for repair.

I mean if you want to go for Stax, by all means do so, but it sounds like you enjoy your Grados, and sending them back is the way to fix them. Also, if you wanted to sell them to get the money for a Stax setup, they'd have to be fixed anyway.

As far as I know, Grado does repairs like this for free.

Mar 31, 2004 at 12:31 AM Post #7 of 17
Yes contact Grado and try and get it repaired.

I dont' see why you want to go Stax at this point. Have you heard and like them? Also your intitial investment of dynamic headphone related gear goes to waste.

Mar 31, 2004 at 12:36 AM Post #8 of 17
Lan,
Good point. I'll contact grrrrado! Still upgraditis strikes again and the urge springs forth!
Let's see. If my wife lets me, I want to try out the Stax AND get my Grados repaired. That why I'm both static and dynamic.
biggrin.gif

Mar 31, 2004 at 12:49 AM Post #10 of 17
I can't believe your wife is going to give you that much slack haha. I would have things "breaking" left and right.

Mar 31, 2004 at 1:49 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by lan
I can't believe your wife is going to give you that much slack haha. I would have things "breaking" left and right.

I haven't told her yet!
wink.gif
My mom and her mom are flying in from India tomorrow afternoon. In the joys of the welcome, I will break the news to her. Let's see how she takes it.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 31, 2004 at 2:00 AM Post #13 of 17
If you can afford the price tag, why not try some Stax. An SRM-313 amp, along with the SR-303 earspeakers might be just the ticket.

Mar 31, 2004 at 3:19 AM Post #14 of 17
I wish I had a 1000 zoom camera so I can capture her expression haha.

you: Hi mom, did you bring the Stax?
your wife: say what?

Mar 31, 2004 at 3:26 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by ServinginEcuador
If you can afford the price tag, why not try some Stax. An SRM-313 amp, along with the SR-303 earspeakers might be just the ticket.

This is one of those places where the advice to "try before you buy" applies.

I own the Stax system ServinginEcuador recommends, and I appreciate the performance it delivers. Things just seem to sound better from week to week as I log more time and the system breaks in. However . . . I'm not sure I'd recommend a jump from Grado to Stax without some serious auditioning. The two sound signatures are very different. I own a set of Grado phones as well, and they give a very different perspective. Not better necessarily or worse, but different.

I'd get the Grados repaired and then look into listening to a Stax system. Buyer's remorse is one reason we have a Gear for Sale forum.
wink.gif

BW

Users who are viewing this thread

Back