My Grado SR80 cup mods
Jan 23, 2015 at 3:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

KarlD

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I have had my Grado SR80s for years now and had only done two mods. One was to replace the 3.5mm jack with a 1/4" gold plated Neutrik, and the other was to replace the grills with a more open mesh which, as many many people have reported, opened them up no end.

The other day at work I decided to have a bit of a clear out under my work bench as we were not busy, and I dug out a piece of Brazilian Rosewood that way crying out to be turned into some rear chambers for my cans...

So here we go.

Now I have a bit of a problem.

A bit of a **** up actually. I have machined the inside diameter to 50.0mm and the diameter of the plastic bit that the driver sits in that is supposed to fit into it measures 50.3mm. I don't know how I have done this but I have. Iddiot.

What do I do? I could put the woodies back onto the CNC and open the middle out a bit, or do I re make the plastic part that holds the driver out of something else and machine that to fit my woodies?

Can the drivers be removed from this part?

Jan 27, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #4 of 6
Hi There!

Check out the Grado Mods thread...lots of info there. You have two options...widen the diameter just that smidge more to accomodate the original plastic sleeve, or liberate the drivers and make sleeves for them.

The easiest route is widening and using the original plastic sleeve, but the best improvements can come from wooden sleeves...to liberate the driver Google Grado Driver Liberation. There are some videos out there that will help you.

Wooden sleeves are tricky, but judging by the workmanship of those outer cups, they will be a walk in the park for you :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back