My grado frankenstein!
May 27, 2005 at 10:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

RnB180

Member of the Trade: RnB Audio
I hope its safe to post this pic, Id really like thoughts about my frankenstein hack job. please no pms if I can do this for you, any such pms will be rejected, I am NOT offering any mod services. However if you want to know how this is done, I will be more then happy to give you a short faq on what I did, so that if you feel up to the task, you can mod one yourself. Hoefully this thread inspires other to try improve your grados
smily_headphones1.gif

what do you guys think?

I used panel mount mono jacks part number #274-248 from radio shack, if anyone interested in attempting this hack job
smily_headphones1.gif

I was bored so I went to radio shack and picked up some 3.55mm jacks, took apart my cans, took some clippers and cut the housing and made the grados detachable
smily_headphones1.gif

similar to the headwize grado mod.

gradomod1.jpg

my new sennheiser wannabes
smily_headphones1.gif

modinside.jpg

I did a pretty sloppy job, but its okay, their my own cans anyway and the flat pads hide the hack job with cutters :p

modinside3.jpg

modinside2.jpg

whats holding the sockets in place? elmers craft glue lol. I didnt have epoxy or a glue gun so I just use what I had lying around. Ill probably get some super glue later.

May 27, 2005 at 10:06 PM Post #3 of 28
That is a kick ass mod. Definitly a Sennheiser wanna be. What model of Grado Labs headphone is that? Does that mod change the sound any, I would think that it would have to. In fact I know it does, but can you tell the diffirence?

May 27, 2005 at 10:07 PM Post #4 of 28
what the?

congrats on a cool mod!

May 27, 2005 at 10:15 PM Post #6 of 28
well, I dont know if it changes the sound, I still have to wait for the glue to totally dry. Im guessing there will be extra resistance and at the most, probably a loss in gain. since the signal is not longer a direct connection but bottle necks at the jack and continues through another set of wires.

Ill test later to see if it alters the sound. this however makes my lug around the grados a lot easier and tangle free.

The frankenstein grados I have were originally the SR-80s,

on hind sight, I think it was would be really easy to mod the grados to be one sided.

any brave DIYers Ill give you the run down on how you can do this.
and IMO, if you can fit a mini balanced XLR into the housing some how (IMO it is very feasable with imagination and creativity) you would have something hardcore.

anyhow you can install the stereo jack of you choice, for the unbrave a stereo mini jack would probably fit after some housing alteration with a dremel, or you can go the poormans way like me and snip away with cutters.

run one signal to the left terminal and another to the right terminal, just run the wire across the headband and drill a hole into the other housing. then get a beyers head band and wrap the headband to hide the wire
smily_headphones1.gif

Ive done so much to these pair of cans, I dont know if they can withstand another mod.

anyone daring to try it out?

May 27, 2005 at 10:21 PM Post #7 of 28
IMHO not that bad of a hack job... cleaner than youre giving yourself credit for.

**edit**
that star quad blue looks cool inside the can like that, through the mesh.
Garrett

May 27, 2005 at 10:24 PM Post #8 of 28
Nice job! Yay for removeable cable mods! Are you using the original Grado cable with it?
smily_headphones1.gif

(this pic has been getting a lot of action lately)
sr125-modded.jpg

May 27, 2005 at 10:24 PM Post #9 of 28
thanks kramer,

actually, its silver plated copper wire. I dont really like working with star quad copper as it takes longer to ahere and wet with the solder. silver plated wire solders up fast and quick
smily_headphones1.gif

May 27, 2005 at 10:26 PM Post #10 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by arspy87
Nice job! Yay for removeable cable mods! Are you using the original Grado cable with it?
smily_headphones1.gif

(this pic has been getting a lot of action lately)
sr125-modded.jpg

sweet mod arpsy,

not Im using star quad. I do have the original cable too, so Ill probably hook up some mono connectors to it later for fun.

this mod is great, as it will allow me to swap out any cable I want
smily_headphones1.gif

May 27, 2005 at 10:57 PM Post #12 of 28
from my experience, swapping the plastic screen yielded an improvement in the osund more then the recable.

but then this could be placebic. but with the plastic grill I it would sound a bit conjested and had a slight nasal quality, the screen removed this.

May 27, 2005 at 10:58 PM Post #13 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by fureshi
Did you guys notice any changes to the sound by changing out the plastic screen for the metal mesh? I haven't really heard anything definitive about this.

Eh, I didn't notice anything particularly different, but I wasn't really listening too closely for differences. I guess they might sound a bit airier/open, which might improve the mids slightly, but I don't really know for sure.

May 27, 2005 at 11:04 PM Post #14 of 28
wow,

I couldnt wait much more longer, so I just pluged them in,
if anything, the gain is super duper high, I plugged them into the headphone amp and it gets realy loud fast, much quicker then prior to the mod.

also the sibilance is not presence at all? its like it deadened the highs. maybe to the materials of the jack and connectors. but the sound is no longer the sound of Grados, its a pure mid bliss. I dont know what made it like this, but the highs are rolled off significantly.

Im gonna swap them out the flats with the bowls.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back