My friend thinks his Bose In-Ear are the best headphones EVER
Sep 9, 2009 at 3:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

lnvisible

100+ Head-Fier
My friend received his pair of In-Ears for his b-day a few days after they originally were released, and his opinion on them has been nothing but perfect ever since.

I, myself, have a pair of Monster Turbines w/ T400s, and he just uses his stock In-Ears. He says my Turbines provide no bass (no forceful push to be exact), not that well isolation, and feel horrible and hurt his canals.

Every time I listen to his in-ears, unwillingly, the music sounds like its played in mono. All the instruments seem as if they are on the low end, and the bass, if any, is muddy. There is also NO isolation. I can hear people talking right beside in a normal "inside voice". Now the only good thing about these in-ears for me are the comfort. They feel...I can't even describe it. It's like a pillow is in my ear. I still prefer the T400s cause of the way the Turbines are built, but the comfort for the Bose tips are phenomenal.

But that's it. No bass since a true fit/seal isn't even close to being there. the music sounds like everything is deeper, and almost no isolation, I cant see how my friend loves his in-ears so much, and hates my Turbines the same amount.

/vent

Sep 9, 2009 at 4:00 PM Post #3 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by lnvisible /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I cant see how my friend loves his in-ears so much, and hates my Turbines the same amount.

Aren't you doing the same?
I know a famous musician actually uses Bose when in flight. "Good enough and comfortable." People like what they like.

Sep 9, 2009 at 4:12 PM Post #4 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This same thread pops up every month. But I am glad that you are now looking down on your friend because of his headphones - job well done.

Haha.

Quote:

Originally Posted by david1978jp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aren't you doing the same?
I know a famous musician actually uses Bose when in flight. "Good enough and comfortable." People like what they like.

Very true though. I'm not talking down about those who fall under this category, it just "hurts" me I guess when people could be having extremely better headphones for a way lower price, and aren't going this method just because they are unenlightened about all these other products out there.

Sep 9, 2009 at 4:28 PM Post #5 of 24
Quote:

This same thread pops up every month. But I am glad that you are now looking down on your friend because of his headphones - job well done.

The last thing that Head-Fi needs is more elitism.

IMO, Bose bashing is just too excessive. People like their bass quantity, most compressed music has no soundstage, Bose is known for comfort (which is much more noticeable than "sound quality). Therefore, when he was exposed to your IEM's, he didn't know what to look for. Simply put, without prolonged exposure, these kinds of details are hard to detect, especially when large, palpable differences are present (bass quantity, comfort).

Not everybody values what "audiophiles" do. Head-Fi's gone over this so many times.

Sep 9, 2009 at 4:37 PM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by jageur272 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The last thing that Head-Fi needs is more elitism.

IMO, Bose bashing is just too excessive. People like their bass quantity, most compressed music has no soundstage, Bose is known for comfort (which is much more noticeable than "sound quality). Therefore, when he was exposed to your IEM's, he didn't know what to look for. Simply put, without prolonged exposure, these kinds of details are hard to detect, especially when large, palpable differences are present (bass quantity, comfort).

Not everybody values what "audiophiles" do. Head-Fi's gone over this so many times.

That was put very well Jag. Again, the purpose of this thread wasn't necessarily saying that Bose In-Ears (or other products by Bose) was the worst headphones ever, it was more of a vent that my friend doesn't ever want to take advantage of the other headphones/IEMs out there, and only wishes to stay with his In-Ears, which he consistently believes is the best out there.

Sep 9, 2009 at 4:52 PM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Sorry, I should have added more <sarcasm> into the post. Truly, I am tired of these sort of threads - really tired. Bose, Monster, Apple, Skull Kandy - it all amounts to the same thing: our ignorance and infection by some elitist hate.

I agree. And a lot of us who "hate" on those brands might have never even put on any of their products, let alone listened to them.

Sep 9, 2009 at 5:01 PM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

Very true though. I'm not talking down about those who fall under this category, it just "hurts" me I guess when people could be having extremely better headphones for a way lower price, and aren't going this method just because they are unenlightened about all these other products out there.

It's more like "My pair of old shoes", when you like something, you don't want to change, even there are better ones right at your fingertips. Same thing goes to aging wife, annoying farting friend, and visiting certain forums...

Sep 9, 2009 at 5:03 PM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

and only wishes to stay with his In-Ears, which he consistently believes is the best out there.

Sounds like he spent his own money and is very happy with his purchase! You should be happy for him.

Sep 9, 2009 at 5:46 PM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by weendex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds like he spent his own money and is very happy with his purchase! You should be happy for him.

He didn't actually spend his own money, as I said, but I see what you mean.

Actually, the more I look at this, the more I see from his POV. I'm probably so pinpoint on the In-Ears' specs cause I have had so much more experience with different kinds of headphones than my friend. He also doesn't listen to music as much as I do, so there isn't a need to fork out more money on something you won't use.

No need to flame guys, I guess I just wasn't looking at it from his POV.

Sep 9, 2009 at 6:24 PM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Sorry, I should have added more <sarcasm> into the post. Truly, I am tired of these sort of threads - really tired. Bose, Monster, Apple, Skull Kandy - it all amounts to the same thing: our ignorance and infection by some elitist hate.

I agree that these threads are annoying. unnecessary, and that often the op creates the thread basically to boost their own ego. At the same, I think the relativistic perspective of many on head-fi grating as well. As audiophiles, I feel we have an obligation to show the uninitiated "the light." Of course, we shouldn't be ******* about it or think that our knowledge makes us superior. We should just be honest about our experience.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle_Driver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree. And a lot of us who "hate" on those brands might have never even put on any of their products, let alone listened to them.

I heard phones from Sony, Apple, Bose, and then when I got my first pair of hi-fi phones, I was completely blown away. There is really no comparison. Honestly, I don't have too much hate for Sony or Apple. Sure there phones don't sound great, but they are more reasonably priced. Bose, on the other hand, charges hi-fi prices for their garbage.

Sep 9, 2009 at 6:28 PM Post #14 of 24
You have a point, but as has been explained before, that point goes only so far. If we evangelise this hobby, we had better be prepared to be evangelised by others about other hobbies. Also, the problem with this one is that it is expensive. So, to make someone 'see the light' as it were is a waste of his/her money unless that person is in to it from the start. Making them see the light isn't fair, nor is it realistic.

Be prepared to get into the next expensive hobby your mates tell you you have completely ass backward. I could point out a hell of a lot of things just reading headfi... as could all of us. It simply isn't fair to evangelise. If someone asks, go ahead; open doors are great.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antony6555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree that these threads are annoying. unnecessary, and that often the op creates the thread basically to boost their own ego. At the same, I think the relativistic perspective of many on head-fi grating as well. As audiophiles, I feel we have an obligation to show the uninitiated "the light." Of course, we shouldn't be ******* about it or think that our knowledge makes us superior. We should just be honest about our experience.

I heard phones from Sony, Apple, Bose, and then when I got my first pair of hi-fi phones, I was completely blown away. There is really no comparison. Honestly, I don't have too much hate for Sony or Apple. Sure there phones don't sound great, but they are more reasonably priced. Bose, on the other hand, charges hi-fi prices for their garbage.

Sep 9, 2009 at 8:00 PM Post #15 of 24
A short/skewed experiential yardstick prevents the ability for unbiased evaluation.

A person will prefer what is "normal" to them. It takes some self awareness, time, and the opportunity to experience a greater variety of of products to finally start realizing the variation and range of what is available and to properly place a given product and its properties on that yardstick of experience.

Things like warm, bright, neutral, crisp, muddy, smooth, punchy, every characteristic of sound at their extremes and everything in between have to be understood, and this only comes through experience.

Where does the Bose In-Ear sit within the broad spectrum of products? Where does the Turbines sit within that spectrum? Do you know? Does your friend know? Is your measuring stick developed enough to evaluate such things?

This is the difficulty of reviews, comparisons, and evaluations of such things. The only people who are really capable of a relatively unbiased answer are the folks who do have a vast array of experiences across the entire spectrum that exists. For head-fi, it's the guy who's literally owned 100+ pairs of IEMs, buds, and headphones. 99.9% of us don't fall in that category. I myself try and review what I use to aid others on this forum, but my head-fi experience is limited. I pull experience from car and home fi to aid my perception of qualities and range of sound. Even then I know I'm still biased and skewed to some extent. Self awareness of this is an important factor as you can counter your own judgement and provide a more raw and neutral case.

Bias towards companies is sometimes justified. I personally have more bias towards how companies run their business and only bias towards products of that company if it realistically fits as a blanket statement. I whine about Sony purposely not building great products simply because they can and do make more money building and selling entry level and midlevel mediocre products. They as a company are content with that. They have the capability, just not the desire, and as a hobbyist, that is unfortunate. I whine about Bose being overpriced. They do incorporate technology into their designs, but they simply don't take it far enough to realistically make exceptional products that warrant the price. They do advertise monstrously, and as long as people believe in that advertising and do purchase the products, Bose wins. In the end, that's what matters, the sale. Companies have to survive, they need to find their niche, and they need to do need to do to compete. Most of the time, this means we as consumers don't get the greatest products and don't get the best pricing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back