My first visit to Guitar Center...
Mar 14, 2011 at 5:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

miceblue

Headphoneus Supremus
and I couldn't properly use their SRH840 headphones because the music volume was too loud at their display stand. -.-

However, I did get to try out the Shure SRH750DJ headphones with my own source (iPod Touch) since they didn't have it on display, and they sounded pretty darn amazing. Clear vocals (though the soundstage seemed pretty small), excellent bass punch, I couldn't detect much sibilance, and I noticed that the highs and lows were much more detailed compared to my current Sennheiser CX300 IEMs. Everything about them was superior to my CX300 and my Skullcandy Hesh 'phones (though I was expecting these results). One thing that bothered me was how quickly their ear pads heated up. After only about 8 minutes, my ears were starting to get hot and when I took the 'phones off my ears, there was some moisture already accumulated on it.

I also tried out the Pioneer HDJ-1000 DJ's, SRH440's, ATH-M45, ATH-M30, Beyerdynamic DT770, and a few AKG 'phones. I can't say much about their SQ since they were playing their own music (I think I heard an Infected Mushroom song in the playlist) and to me it didn't sound very clear (perhaps they were using a bad source or their music wasn't hi-fi?). Also, they claimed that they no longer have Ultrasone headphones in stock...but it's advertised on their website the last time I checked. That was a bummer since I was hoping to try out some of their 'phones to check out all the S-Logic hype.

From my brief initial comparisons:
  1. The SRH440's were less comfortable than the 840's and both seemed pretty well-built...though it comes at the cost of bulkiness and weight.
  2. The AKG's were fairly light in weight on my head
  3. The Pioneers had pretty good sound isolation despite having a shallow earcup (whereas the other headphones had a hole large enough for my ear to fit into)
  4. The velvet ear pads of the DT770 were very comfortable but the weight of the headphones themselves was uncomfortable on my head
  5. The Audio Technica 'phones were pretty comfortable and had decent sound isolation as well.
  6. With every pair of headphones they had on display, they were MUCH more comfortable than my Skullcandy Hesh's pleather and their clamping forces were much lower than my Hesh's as well (which is a good thing for long durations of headphone use)

All in all, I was somewhat disappointed with my first visit since they didn't have most of the headphones I wanted to test and with the ones they did have, I couldn't use my own source. I do have to give credit to their employees though who were friendly and helpful during my visit. :)

Does anyone have suggestions as to where else I could test headphones before I make my purchase?

Mar 16, 2011 at 11:53 PM Post #4 of 9
Even if you don't intend on buying them, you should try to talk a sales-rep down to $150 on the DT770-80. I've done it twice, and it's like a sport... a true test of wills. 

Mar 17, 2011 at 12:20 AM Post #5 of 9
Fortunately, your Guitar Center has a headphone listening station.  Granted, it may not be playing your genre of music - and, possibly not good quality editions of the music - but, it beats my store.  I have a large store near me, but no listening station.  All of the headphones are boxed and on the shelf  behind the counter.  With most of them being shrink-wrapped, it's a bit hard to go on a venture of testing them out.  It basically boils down to having to buy the headphones, then return them if you're not satisfied.  Then, at the time of return - there's the guilt thing where the associate asks you what was wrong with them and you have to give them your spiel.   This really isn't an ideal for me to transact - and, frankly, I'd lose patience after buying a few pair and returning them if I didn't like them.  A listening station would allow me to at least eliminate a good portion of the 'phones based on the comfort level.

Good luck on your venture.

Mar 17, 2011 at 12:53 AM Post #6 of 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by miceblue /img/forum/go_quote.gif

One thing that bothered me was how quickly their ear pads heated up. After only about 8 minutes, my ears were starting to get hot and when I took the 'phones off my ears, there was some moisture already accumulated on it.

That's a BIG problem with me.  8 minutes is right about my limit too.  That's why I am stuck with two options: AKG K1000s and IEMs.  Have you thought about moving up the ladder in IEMs?  Back to headphones, the other day I tried the B&W P5s at the Apple store and surprisingly they were not bad in the heat department.  They are supra-aural so they sit on top of your ears as opposed to on your face.  I only had them on for about 5 minutes, but usually at that point I start to feel the warmth.  These were definitely better for me.  But they are around $300, so I'm not sure how much you want to spend.

Mar 17, 2011 at 4:21 AM Post #7 of 9
I live in Seattle, WA and I wanted to hear any Ultrasone HFI or PRO series headphones and the Phiaton MS400's.

I have the phiatons which are great headphones but if the heating on the shures bother you its even worse on the phiatons. And I wouldn't say the phiatons are on the same level as the shure, because comparing the phiaton to the m50s, the m50s are much better for me but the portability and looks sort of make up for that.

Mar 18, 2011 at 1:38 AM Post #8 of 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercuttio /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Even if you don't intend on buying them, you should try to talk a sales-rep down to $150 on the DT770-80. I've done it twice, and it's like a sport... a true test of wills.

I haven't tried listening to the DT770's with my own music so I didn't want to make a purchase quite yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wje /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It basically boils down to having to buy the headphones, then return them if you're not satisfied.

Yeah I might have to end up doing that...I don't know of any retail stores in the Seattle area that would sell the Ultrasone headphones so I might just have to risk a purchase from an online seller (B&H) and hope it sounds decent.

Quote:
That's a BIG problem with me.  8 minutes is right about my limit too.  That's why I am stuck with two options: AKG K1000s and IEMs.  Have you thought about moving up the ladder in IEMs?  Back to headphones, the other day I tried the B&W P5s at the Apple store and surprisingly they were not bad in the heat department.  They are supra-aural so they sit on top of your ears as opposed to on your face.  I only had them on for about 5 minutes, but usually at that point I start to feel the warmth.  These were definitely better for me.  But they are around $300, so I'm not sure how much you want to spend.

I've thought about an IEM upgrade purchase, but my current IEM's (Sennheiser CX-300) make my ears itchy after wearing them for around an hour. I don't know if I'd like another IEM at the moment.

Mar 18, 2011 at 2:31 AM Post #9 of 9

Quote:
I live in Seattle, WA and I wanted to hear any Ultrasone HFI or PRO series headphones and the Phiaton MS400's.

drive to Portland and visit 32ohm audio*snickers*

Users who are viewing this thread

Back