My first review: Sony D515 vs. Panasonic CT570
Oct 22, 2002 at 8:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

NotoriousBIG_PJ

Step 1: Plug power cable into wall. Step 2: Plug other end of power cable into....umm.... Step 0.5: Order something to power with power cable.
Yup, I thought it was finally time to get off by butt and write a review. Several weeks in the making and more then a half an hour of my time has brought forth this little gem. So read with confidence and trust that I will have delivered the only review anyone will ever care about in the history of the world…

Today’s review is not just about comparing two highly touted portables, and its not just about old school vs. newer school, and its most certainly not just about the ultimate Panasonic vs. Sony showdown, and I promise you it has nothing to do with Michael Jordan, though I’m sure he is reading this. No, the real purpose of this review is to definitively prove once and for all which is better: the D-515’s shiny gray top vs. the CT-570’s metallic silver top. I know Magicthyse and his lackeys will be reading intently (jokes, jokes, your still ok in my books).

Ok, ok, so far, so useless, but isn’t filler kind of fun? Now I believe it is about time to go on with a bunch of random titles and yada yada.

Warning, the following equipment was used in my comparisons:
Grado RS-1’s
Cha-47
Markertek mini-mini

Ok, seriously, the review starts…… now. Now. Now. Now………. Ummmm Now.

Lineout vs. Lineout

When my D-515 arrived, the lineout is what I was giddy to try out first. I hooked up my little penguin, turned on some tuneskees and immediately noticed definite audible improvement over my CT-570’s lineout. The Sony brought with it a larger soundstage, more neutral sound and bass that is more evident. After some careful night listening, I also noticed that a bit more detail was coming through, especially at the lower end. I would just like to note that I do not find the Panasonics lineout to be bad, I have compared it to my friends Sony 825 and I found their sound characteristics to be similar, its just that it is not in the same league as the 515. To briefly summarize my findings into two words, I would say that the D-515 has “more guts” in the lineout then the 570. Now the only question remains, do you have the guts to read on?

Bassboost vs. Darkveilboost

My main reason for buying the CT-570 was for its bassboost that works with the lineout, something unheard of in today’s portable players. Unfortunately, the bassboost is not the same as my other Panasonic player and I struggle to even call it a bassboost. The 570’s bassboost seems to affect all frequencies, bringing them down a notch. I’m not sure if this is what it actually does, but it sounds like a dark veil is covering the music. I have to say; you would do well to stay away from this player’s bass booster. Luckily the D-515’s bassboost also works with the lineout, but here’s the surprising thing, it actually does what a bassboost should! The 515’s bassboost has 3 settings and they only touch the lower frequencies, what I believe to be just below the midbass (please tell me if I am wrong about this by flaming me). The bassboost also does not distort, like some cheap players that I have tried out. This really truly actually is a bassboost I do not not use. Now where did my rumble phones go….

Headphone Jack vs. Headphone Jill

So you’re asking, who wears the pants in this department? Well you have probably already guessed and are just looking for more reasons to begin your petition to get me banned from ever doing a review again. Anyways, no surprise, the D-515 comes out on top again. Just take all the comments from the lineout vs. lineout section and transplant them here, because I’m to damn lazy to do it for you. The thing to note about the D-515 is that it goes loud, like really loud, like the bleeding ears kind of thing. I must also add that the CT-570 can easily power any portable headphone and its sound quality dumps all over the new Sony and Panasonic players. Another interesting comparison is the D-515 headphone out vs. lineout using my cha-47. The headphone out fairs pretty well, but lacks the sparkling highs of the cha-47 and its soundstage is smaller. I found the bass, midrange and detail to be similar.

Portability vs. Portability

With portable players, compromise seems to be the main theme among every one ever made. This is where the CT-570 finally comes into it’s own. I would argue that this is the player with the least comprises out there that I know of. It’s fairly slim, light, has uncompressed antishock that works rather well, 50-hour battery life and sounds pretty decent. It’s like the sum better then the parts kind of thing. The D-515 comes from an age where portable players were referred to as “mini tanks” and 6-hour battery life was cool and Eddie Vedder sang with passion. I don’t want to be too hard on the D-515 though, he really tries hard, I mean he was the first portable to offer antishock and he does take aa batteries. The 515’s main fault lies in his insatiable hunger for power. Anyone sane would do well to feed him only top servings of NIMH batteries. On a completing unrelated note, had I been reviewing the D-555, I probably would have called this section Tankability vs. Portability because the D-555 ain’t exactly portable. Well, only one more sickening topic to cover, then my masterpiece will be complete.

Build vs. Build

The D-515 is big and heavy. Your mom may be big and heavy. I’m getting tired, so lets just leave it at that. I think this player has a certain charm to it, and I really enjoy the backlit lcd (it glows orange when plugged into the wall). The CT570 has more curves to it and a more intuitive placement of buttons. With the Sony player, I end up having to wrap the AC adapter around the front of the player, which just seems so wrong. In the end, I think both players have their own styles, but I got to go with the D-515’s shiny gray top baby!

Conclusion

I think I can now say without a shadow of a doubt that Michael Jordan is the greatest basketball player of all time.

Closing Notes

Ultimately, I choose to sell my CT-570 because sound quality is really what I am looking for in a portable source. The D-515 may have its shortcomings, but it’s great lineout makes up for them in my opinion. Thanks for reading this crazy spiel I like to call a review.

Biggie.

p.s. shoutout to Buddah for selling me the D-515 and Purk for pointing me in the direction of this player.

Oct 22, 2002 at 9:55 AM Post #2 of 8
Nice review, Biggie - and very amusing, too!
wink.gif

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Oct 22, 2002 at 2:49 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Nice review, Biggie - and very amusing, too!

Ditto.

Enjoy the D-515!

smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 22, 2002 at 7:07 PM Post #4 of 8
Biggie,
That's a cool review. Thanks for sharing your impression with us.

Purk
biggrin.gif

Oct 22, 2002 at 8:52 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by NotoriousBIG_PJ

Headphone Jack vs. Headphone Jill

Great line.

Excellent review, really funny.

Enjoy the D-515.

Oct 22, 2002 at 9:28 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Conclusion

I think I can now say without a shadow of a doubt that Michael Jordan is the greatest basketball player of all time.

I think I would have to agree with you. Oh, and excellent review too.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 23, 2002 at 1:46 AM Post #7 of 8
Great review, informative yet still highly entertaining.
Quote:

Originally posted by NotoriousBIG_PJ
Ultimately, I choose to sell my CT-570 because sound quality is really what I am looking for in a portable source.

Lucky for me.
smily_headphones1.gif
Ooh only a couple more days 'til it arrives!!
biggrin.gif
I'll be sure to add some feedback in the gear for sale forum.

Oct 23, 2002 at 2:25 AM Post #8 of 8
Thanks for the comments.
smily_headphones1.gif

Biggie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back