My first portable amp for my first ever set up.confused youth
Oct 18, 2012 at 10:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

DGriff0400

100+ Head-Fier
 Hey Head-fi community,
                                    I thinking about investing in a portable amp and possibly amp/dac combo but i have the opinion that my source is good enough atm (SGs3 with siyah). im thinking about getting a portable amp, my headphones are pretty efficient (AKG k550) so i wanted to get an amp for that little increase in sound quality. and to save on some battery power as well. the S3 doesnt have line out unless im using usb audio in that case ill require an amp/dac combo but i intended to just get a decent starter amp and use the headphone jack. How is this done btw? do keep the volume low and raise the amp vol?

starter amp considerations:
JDS labs cMoy BB
fiio e11
ALO,Headroom<=200$(taking other suggestions)

Any help is much appreciated.

Oct 21, 2012 at 1:04 AM Post #2 of 11
Quote:
 Hey Head-fi community,
                                    I thinking about investing in a portable amp and possibly amp/dac combo but i have the opinion that my source is good enough atm (SGs3 with siyah). im thinking about getting a portable amp, my headphones are pretty efficient (AKG k550) so i wanted to get an amp for that little increase in sound quality. and to save on some battery power as well. the S3 doesnt have line out unless im using usb audio in that case ill require an amp/dac combo but i intended to just get a decent starter amp and use the headphone jack. How is this done btw? do keep the volume low and raise the amp vol?

starter amp considerations:
JDS labs cMoy BB
fiio e11
ALO,Headroom<=200$(taking other suggestions)

Any help is much appreciated.

If your S3 does a good job driving the K550's, i don't think an amp will improve the SQ that much. IIRC, the S3 has a low output impedance, which is the most important factor in SQ after having enough juice to handle the load. The impedance of them is also fairly consistent, meaning they are relatively easy to drive.

Oct 22, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #4 of 11
You could get the Fiio e17 and use it as an amp when on the go but it will also have the advantage of being able to use it as a DAC with your computer so you can get some better sound quality.

Oct 22, 2012 at 5:03 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:
You could get the Fiio e17 and use it as an amp when on the go but it will also have the advantage of being able to use it as a DAC with your computer so you can get some better sound quality.

The E17 DAC doesn't work with the S3 though, better to get a solution that works with both like the Apex he mentioned.

Oct 24, 2012 at 3:08 PM Post #10 of 11
I believe it should work with the international version but you should ask the knowledgeable people in this thread to make sure. http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs Regarding the DAC, I don't own other dacs such as an odac or dacport to compare it sorry. I pair the Leckerton with my pc using it's dac and amp with my gr07's and it sounds incredible. I can assure you that this thing is awesome. Sorry I couldn't be of much help as this is my first dac/amp and I also plan to use with a note 2 soon. I'll direct you to this thread, much more help and info in here. http://www.head-fi.org/t/602493/new-leckerton-uha-6s-mkii-portable-headphone-amplifier-announced-update-user-impressions-added-july-20th-2012/600#post_8805853

Users who are viewing this thread

Back