My first IEM's
Dec 17, 2009 at 5:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

durden

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking into buying my first pair of IEM's. I want a decent pair and have about $100 to spend. I've been doing alot of reading and research and have found several that stick out to me:

Head-Direct RE0 - good reviews, but worry about quality
Denon AH-C751
Shure SE210
Etymotic Research HF5
Klipsch IMAGE S4
Altec Lansing UHP336 - re-badged Ultimate Ears Super-Fi 3s?
JAYS s-JAYS
Ultimate Ears SuperFi 3

I listen to rock, hardcore, screamo, metal, classic rock, pop punk, punk, classical...pretty much anything but country and opera.

I am looking to get them soon, possibly this week. Any input or advice is greatly appreciated. All of the IEM's listed above are around $100 on Amazon, as that is where I would be buying from. If there are any others you would recommend over any of those listed above, please do so.

Btw, as a n00b here, I have been accessing the site for a while and had to make an account. This is one of the best resources for Audio I have ever found. Glad to be a part of the community now.

Thanks!

Dec 17, 2009 at 5:55 PM Post #4 of 29
I'm not sure. I know there have been a couple of versions of the RE0 with minor updates so that may no longer be an issue. They have a year's warranty anyway ...

Dec 17, 2009 at 5:58 PM Post #5 of 29
Thats true, with a year warranty, its covered. Do you have any recommendations for me? I'm really wanting as much input as possible.

Dec 17, 2009 at 6:13 PM Post #6 of 29
Of those three I have read the most praise about the RE0, HF5 and S4. They all have different strengths ... the RE0 has superlative sound quality, the HF5 has good neutrality and isolation, and the S4 has good bass and is widely available.

Dec 17, 2009 at 6:56 PM Post #8 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by durden /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By the sounds of it, the RE0 is the way to go.

And by the sound of the RE0... I agree with you.
wink.gif

Dec 17, 2009 at 7:41 PM Post #10 of 29
Quote:

Now what about a portable amp, i.e. the FiiO E3? do the RE0's need an amp? Or are they good without?

IMO, the RE0 sounds fuller with a simple amp like the $25 E5. I've used the E5 with my RE0 for several months (until I just got the iBasso T3), and it brings out the bass a just right, with a couple of different boost available. The RE0 + E5 is a tremendous bang-for-buck combo.

If you want a slight (but not incredible) increase in cleanliness and warmth over the E5, the T3 is tiny and terrific sounding with the RE0.

Dec 17, 2009 at 8:14 PM Post #11 of 29
well, i can afford the E3 or E5. as for the iBasso T3, a little out of my price range for now. but thanks for the feedback kmhaynes.

Dec 17, 2009 at 8:27 PM Post #12 of 29
RE0 is better than the other ones you listed by a landslide. It's the best IEM you can get for under $100, period.

Dec 17, 2009 at 8:47 PM Post #13 of 29
Maybe you should explain what kind of sound signature you prefer. As bcpk explained these are all very different beasts and while the RE0 seems to be a forum favorite, I'm sure it's not an IEM for everyone.

One thing to consider, if it's a toss up between the one of the IEMs available via retail (S4, UE superfi) and one that is online only (RE0), you could get the one from a brick and mortar. If you don't like them you can return them and order the other ones online.

Dec 17, 2009 at 8:58 PM Post #14 of 29
My problem is i have Amazon gift codes that i have to use. No cash...so I kinda need to snatch off Amazon...

As for sound signature, I want a well rounded IEM that gives clear, well-rounded sound while both sitting and moving. Basically, I am buying these to help me get through long days/night in Graduate school. I wont be using them at home. Only at school between classes, in the library, etc.

By the sounds of it, the best one is the RE0, but if you feel id benefit from a different IEM, please share.

Dec 17, 2009 at 10:47 PM Post #15 of 29
Quote:

As for sound signature, I want a well rounded IEM that gives clear, well-rounded sound while both sitting and moving.

^This

=

Quote:

By the sounds of it, the best one is the RE0.

^That

Users who are viewing this thread

Back