My first IEM's
Dec 18, 2009 at 1:08 AM Post #17 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by bcpk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The ER-4 are neutral, like the RE0. The HF5 are like the ER-4. If you want to buy from Amazon, then get the HF5.

Etys are really great indeed - in some ways even better than RE0 perhaps. If the OP can find one for a similar price as RE0, he should definitely consider it as well. Etys are more precise than RE0 and have even better clarity and speed and deeper bass, but RE0 is more tonally balanced.

Dec 18, 2009 at 1:10 AM Post #18 of 29
Like these, perhaps?
k701smile.gif

Amazon.com: Etymotic Research HF5 Portable In-Ear Earphones (Cobalt): Electronics

Note a lot of the reviews seem to be from purchasing at full RRP ... in fact the top rated one is reviewing the HF2 not the HF5 :/

Dec 18, 2009 at 1:11 AM Post #19 of 29
Quote:

The ER-4 are neutral, like the RE0. The HF5 are like the ER-4. If you want to buy from Amazon, then get the HF5.

The RE0 are available from Amazon.

Dec 18, 2009 at 1:17 AM Post #20 of 29
Oh yeah, I saw that a few days ago, dunno how I forgot. Guess it's because I bought my RE0s from head-direct ... the reviews there are pretty funny, especially the 1/5 star one. I always find comparing amazon and head-fi reviews quite interesting...

Dec 18, 2009 at 1:21 AM Post #21 of 29
Quote:

Oh yeah, I saw that a few days ago, dunno how I forgot. Guess it's because I bought my RE0s from head-direct ... the reviews there are pretty funny, especially the 1/5 star one. I always find comparing amazon and head-fi reviews quite interesting...

"Either I received FAKE ear-buds or somebody on head-fi is paid to post FAKE FAVORABLE REVIEW."

Major lols at this guy...^^

Dec 18, 2009 at 5:20 PM Post #23 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by durden /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Build quality. From what I have read some were concerned with the housing.

Am I right? Wrong? Just reading too much? lol

I got the RE0, I don't really have any concern with the built quality of the housing....I do worry about yanking the cable too hard (on accidents) though. Isn't the housing mostly made of metal? Sounds like metal to me.

The thing that bothers me most about the RE0 is microphonics. Everything else is peachy.

Dec 18, 2009 at 5:45 PM Post #24 of 29
Well, from what I have heard the microphonics varies from person to person. plus, i wont be moving much while listening, so wont be much of a problem for me.

Dec 18, 2009 at 7:14 PM Post #25 of 29
My ER6s are pretty notorious for microphonics, but after having them for so long I honestly just don't notice it any more.

Dec 19, 2009 at 11:36 AM Post #26 of 29
Still waiting for the wife to release my cash supply so i can buy!

looks like my first choice are the Head-Direct RE0's. My second choice would be Klipsch S4's.

Dec 30, 2009 at 6:21 PM Post #27 of 29
I ordered the RE0's and am awaiting their arrival. the holiday season is playing havoc on their delivery however. but, ill give my impressions when they get here.

from my reading in the past few days, some people are unhappy with them. I hope I made the right choice.

Dec 30, 2009 at 7:21 PM Post #28 of 29
Stay away from the SF3 Studio, it is pretty disappointing (very bland sounding, a little harsh) and suffers the same comfort issues as the other large UE IEMs. SE210 sounds similar in my opinion but is infinitely more comfortable. Those are the only two IEMs that I've owned on your list.

Dec 30, 2009 at 7:38 PM Post #29 of 29
You probably read my thread about me not being impressed by the RE0.
smily_headphones1.gif
I can imagine the appeal they have to some people but I found out (the hard way?) the music I listen to requires a different sound signature. My tunes vary from technical death metal, shoegaze black metal and oldschool thrash to breakcore, powernoise and dark ambient. All these genres need, in my opinion, a warm, fast, thick and engaging sound. The RE0 are maybe the perfect opposite of these characteristics.
smily_headphones1.gif
Analytical, great seperation and amazing clarity and definately treble and mid focused.

The RE0 are excellent, no doubt about it. But like some people say, it's better suited to classical/soundtrack/lots-of-instruments-playing-at-once-and-i-need-to-seperate-and-analyze-them-all music.
smily_headphones1.gif
That is MY opinion so far. I am still giving them a chance and am messing with them and the EQ right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back