My first crack at 'Audiophile' headphones! (AD700 vs HD595)
Jul 8, 2010 at 11:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Kyaw

New Head-Fier
I am having quite a dilemma whether to buy the AD700 or HD595.
This is indeed going to be my first pair of 'good' headphones.

Although i am currently using Sony MDR-XD200 i got from my friend for like £15.

I play games on PS3 and PC, most all genres from shooters to racers. I would like to have that good open soundstage.
I listen to the likes of Muse, Guns N Roses, Metallica and sometimes bass heavy stuff like Pendulum and Noisia.
I also watch a lot of movies too.

I dont mind the lack of Ommpph from the bass but as long as its there and fills in nicely it should be fine.

The thing is i live in UK, and AD700s are £110 and HD595s are also around £110 on Amazon.
I probably wouldnt buy from Ebay either...

So which is the best for the price im paying?
Btw, im using Logitech X-540s which is connected by analogue from PC onboard AC97 ports and red/white RCA from PS3.
So most likely to plug the headphones into the headphone port on the sound control unit of the speakers.

I will probably get a good amp in future, also i have a receiver downstairs with optical input, so i will probably move that into my room at some point.

Thanks!

Jul 8, 2010 at 11:38 AM Post #2 of 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyaw /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I dont mind the lack of Ommpph from the bass but as long as its there and fills in nicely it should be fine.

Taking this into consideration, go for the AD700. They lose out in the bass department to the HD595, but I find taut and punchy bass to be also enjoyable. Their soundstage is also more "3D" than the HD595.

Jul 8, 2010 at 11:42 AM Post #3 of 21
Woot Pendulum and Noisia!!!! Did you see Pendulum's new album yet? I love every single song on it!!

Speaking of bass heavy stuff though, I have no idea about the AD700, but the HD595 definitely lacks bass, you can check out the frequency charts I'm not sure where. It still has some bass, and gets close to average with an amp but is still lacking in that department...

Jul 8, 2010 at 11:47 AM Post #4 of 21

Quote:
Woot Pendulum and Noisia!!!! Did you see Pendulum's new album yet? I love every single song on it!!

Speaking of bass heavy stuff though, I have no idea about the AD700, but the HD595 definitely lacks bass, you can check out the frequency charts I'm not sure where. It still has some bass, and gets close to average with an amp but is still lacking in that department...

The lastest album is ok, kinda vocals heavy though, i prefer instrumental or non vocal on these type of music, but watercolour is an exception, i love it.

Jul 9, 2010 at 10:20 AM Post #7 of 21
I have a silly question...

When people say, big and 'airy' soundstage, does it mean that it sounds like one of those horrible air auditorium presets that soundcards have?

Probably not but need to make sure!
tongue_smile.gif

Jul 9, 2010 at 10:51 AM Post #8 of 21
With these two headphones "better" is a personal preference. IMO, the AD700 has an unnaturally large soundstage and positioning is only slightly better due to the lack of bass.

Quote:
Inmersion i guess....Own it, love it! You have to listen to "Set me on fire" 

Back on topic, if you like gaming...the Ad700's will give you a better soundstage/positioning. Good music performers also. 

It doesn't sound like one of those presets, but it is larger than most music calls for.

Quote:
I have a silly question...

When people say, big and 'airy' soundstage, does it mean that it sounds like one of those horrible air auditorium presets that soundcards have?

Probably not but need to make sure!
tongue_smile.gif

Jul 9, 2010 at 11:15 AM Post #10 of 21
Id say the something like the DT440 though I never find the AD700 to be too unatural personally.

Jul 9, 2010 at 11:47 AM Post #11 of 21
From my experience with the headphones, the AD700s sound distant.  They lack full, hard hitting bass; so if you like that then for sure look elsewhere.  They just didn't work that well for music, comparing them to other headphones I've heard.  I actually listened to some Metallica with the AD700s.  The music had never been so boring to me, distant, uninvolved and lacking bass.  I felt like just taking the headphones off and going to sleep.

Jul 9, 2010 at 12:07 PM Post #13 of 21

Quote:
How about the HD595s? How do they sound with music compared to AD700s?

Different. Which one you would prefer would come down to personal preference as they are on the same level quality wise. Ive never heard the HD95 but I did compare the HD555 and AD700.  I personally found the AD700 superior for music.  DT440 and MS-1 are better than the AD700 for music though.

Jul 9, 2010 at 12:09 PM Post #14 of 21
Better. The have good tight bass with impact, highs are not as present as the AD700, but they are there and I find the mids to be more present. They are very different phones. Your best bet is to buy both and return/sell the other, if possible. You probably won't be disappointed with either.

Quote:
How about the HD595s? How do they sound with music compared to AD700s?

Jul 9, 2010 at 12:09 PM Post #15 of 21
Actually had the HD555s there to compare to the AD700s.  It was a major relief to put the HD555s back on after hearing the AD700s.  Music was involving again.  I just couldn't ever listen to any rock, metal, pop, techno, any of that on the AD700s to be honest.  Classical is okay.  Others feel different about the whole thing, but I felt I'd throw out my opinions. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back