My First Cans
Nov 13, 2008 at 4:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

MoreGrease

New Head-Fier
So I am a soon-to-be college student looking to finally get some quality headphones to replace my current $15 Sony monstrosities. I'm looking to spend under or around $100, and they will mostly be plugged into a monitor running a PC and PS3.

I have looked at 5.1 phones and amps, as well as headphone amps, but it seems like a bank-breaking hassle, especially since, for now, I'd rather just have headphones that plug into the headphone jack on my monitor or stereo and sound good. I'm no audiophile, so anything that makes rock, movies, and games sound good for the money is fair game.

However, my options are limited because I will be in a dorm next year, so I'm looking for closed headphones that can be played loud without much leakage. So far, I've only really had the JVC HA-RX900s suggested to me, which are nice and cheap but seem almost a non-entity online. No one has explained to me yet while a Google search for them yields no reviews apart from the enthusiastic support of two or three forum posters... they don't even show up on JVC's website (although the HA-RX700s don't, either)...

So, to summarize: any suggestions for good, sub-$100 closed headphones that sound satisfactory without any sort of amp? (Any info casting light on the HA-RX900 mystery would also be appreciated.)

Nov 13, 2008 at 4:36 AM Post #2 of 22
Maybe Sennheiser 280's. Others will make their suggestions. I'm not a great fan of closed cans and those that I like are more than your budget. A pair of AKG 271s or Beyerdynamic DT 770's would be nice, but you'd have to amp 'em. Good luck.

Nov 13, 2008 at 5:34 AM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Will you be wanting to use these outdoors? Or just in your dorm? I realize you posted this in the full-sized forums, but I thought I'd ask anyway just in case.

I figure iPod headphones and the like will satisfy my more outdoorsy needs.

Also, what is wrong with the HD280s? Is it that they don't fit well, like the Amazon reviews suggest?

Looking at this thread, though, I'm already learning more towards the HA-RX900.

Nov 13, 2008 at 5:45 AM Post #6 of 22
The X700's bleed mildly at moderate volumes, I assume the X900's to be worse with the vents along the rear cup circumference. Would be annoying if bunking, if your talking having your own room, not a biggy.
Denons leak too... Possibly used ATH A700's at that price. Owned the A900 and thought they were fantastic unamped, and hear the 700's are only a slight step down. Decent, maybe not amazing for games.

Nov 13, 2008 at 5:56 AM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by MoreGrease /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I figure iPod headphones and the like will satisfy my more outdoorsy needs.

Also, what is wrong with the HD280s? Is it that they don't fit well, like the Amazon reviews suggest?

Looking at this thread, though, I'm already learning more towards the HA-RX900.

You mean iBuds? Like, stock iPod headphones? Hmmmmmm.

The HD280s are hit and miss. Some people love them, some people hate them. I didn't think they were anything special, when I got to hear them for a brief period. Good bargain, though, I guess.

Dunno anything about the JVCs. However, if you're not looking for portables, I'd heartily recommend Denon D1001. Hard to bear in the sub-$100, closed category, IMO.

Nov 13, 2008 at 5:57 AM Post #9 of 22
Newegg.com - SENNHEISER HD555 3.5mm/ 6.3mm Connector Circumaural Stereo Headphone

I've owned mine around 3 years now...can't remember the exact date.

They're GREAT multipurpose cans. They're really good for movies and video games, and I enjoy them quite a bit for music...although some people say they're not the best in the price range. I preferred them over sr-225's just out of my computer, maybe an amp would have changed things.

As far as leakage goes...Sitting about 1.5 feet away from my head I can hear the music pretty good right around listening level, but its much quieter than you'd think probably. If you're worried about waking people up or something they'd have to be pretty light sleepers.

If you're just worried about bothering people...I guess it depends on how big of a space you're in.

edit - ibuds leak like sieves...turn them up all the way to give you a good idea (from your ipod, something with more juice would probably blow em up...good riddance?) They might be a bit louder, but I've heard ibuds from across the room before.

Nov 13, 2008 at 6:05 AM Post #10 of 22
iBuds are terrible, I'll admit. I should have clarified that I usually only listen to music outdoors when biking, with only one bud in my right ear, so I'm not exactly worried about their quality or leakiness.

Thanks for all the suggestions, though. I'll be sure to read some reviews and undoubtedly get back with some pretty nooby questions.

Edit: The Denon AH-D1001 look pretty sweet. Closed, good reviews, and with the added bonus of being a bit more portable / running off of an iPod, if I need them to.

Nov 13, 2008 at 6:12 AM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

iBuds are terrible, I'll admit.

Understatement of the MILLENIUM.

I see so many people out and about wearing these in their ears and every time I just think "Why did you bother even trying to listen to music through those?"

There is absolutely NO sound "quality" from iBuds, and yes, I have listened to them myself on quite a few occasions.

Sometimes I think to myself that people who listen to music through iBuds just listen to music for the sake of it being there, which is ridiculous, but that's probably me just being arrogant
beyersmile.png

Nov 13, 2008 at 6:16 AM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

However, my options are limited because I will be in a dorm next year, so I'm looking for closed headphones that can be played loud without much leakage.

Dorm room + played loud = you need closed headphones that are very good at not leaking sound, or you need IEMs. And that should limit your selection to the HD280 or M50. Have you considered IEMs? An IEM would be best, followed by the HD280 and then the M50. The D1001 and JVC RX700 probably would leak too much for your needs. The M50 would be more comfortable than the HD280 and sound better. If your monitor does not drive headphones very well and you must use it instead of plugging into your PC or receiver, then an IEM would be best.

Nov 13, 2008 at 6:50 AM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I say, for your biking needs, KSC75s. Can keep both sides on.

Leakage isn't too bad with the D1001s, but if there's zero tolerance then yea, I'm with 1Time on this.

I've done the college dorm room thing, and a roommate's tolerance is subject to change on a daily or hourly basis, and the roommate isn't guaranteed to be the same each semester either. There's enough to do in college like studying hours on end without creating a nuisance issue with your roommate. Loud music with headphones in a small room with a roommate is a problem waiting to happen. In this price range IEMs would be best followed by the HD280, which I've used extensively at high volumes and would not guarantee it to not bother a roommate. The only other headphones that I would consider is the HD25-1 II, but it goes for ~$183 shipped. All lower priced headphones really should not be considered for this use at high volumes. So I retract my suggestion for the M50. If desirable to use the headphones at low to medium volumes, then that should open the door for other headphones. Just trying to prevent an "I told you so".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back