my first, and last pair of shure 750DJ
May 15, 2012 at 6:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

lazyredhead

100+ Head-Fier
I had them for more then a year now, and truly enjoyed the sound
but the one thing I realized when i bought them was "these feel cheap" the sound was great, but the headphones themselves where creaky and not very solid feeling.

well, I never put too much thought into it, just decided to be extra careful just in case. sadly, just recently, the right extender on the headphones snapped, didn't snap in half, just snapped so they no longer fit right. there is a inner plastic that holds the inside cord, it's flexible, and it surrounded by a harder, brittle plastic, the flexible plastic is still intact, but it was the harder plastic that kept it firm on your head.

since it snapped at a weak point, the only way you can repair it is with a bond that was stronger then the plastic to begin with, and that isn't easy.

so what can i do with them?

May 16, 2012 at 12:24 AM Post #2 of 26
This reminds me this, for the much more expensive srh940  :

If you can't use your warranty, nor repair them ... there's no solution.

May 16, 2012 at 12:39 AM Post #3 of 26
Try looking into Beyerdynamic DT990 premiums if you want durability. That thing is like 90% metal where it counts. pretty thick metal too. I have a pair on right now, but the right driver is busted so they are going back to the seller ASAP

May 16, 2012 at 12:50 AM Post #4 of 26
That's disturbing. Especially this video with the broken 940. I've had the 440 for a few years now and they are like new. I opened them a few times and all the internals are made of steel. Compared to the AKG headphone I have, the Shure is a tank.

How did you manage to break it? Do you have any pictures? It would be nice to share this knowledge so others know the weak points of the headphone.

May 16, 2012 at 12:54 AM Post #5 of 26
Quote:
This reminds me this, for the much more expensive srh940  :

If you can't use your warranty, nor repair them ... there's no solution.

Do we know how they were broken?  Don't see that we were told.  If not, we can't even decide whether or not the story is credible.

May 16, 2012 at 1:19 AM Post #6 of 26
Quote:

Do we know how they were broken?  Don't see that we were told.  If not, we can't even decide whether or not the story is credible.

There was a similar case from a headfier. He said he was careful, and they broke one day.
Problem is perhaps with big heads.
I avoid to adjust headband when  the headphone is on my head.

May 16, 2012 at 5:54 AM Post #7 of 26
Quote:
I had them for more then a year now, and truly enjoyed the sound
but the one thing I realized when i bought them was "these feel cheap" the sound was great, but the headphones themselves where creaky and not very solid feeling.
well, I never put too much thought into it, just decided to be extra careful just in case. sadly, just recently, the right extender on the headphones snapped, didn't snap in half, just snapped so they no longer fit right. there is a inner plastic that holds the inside cord, it's flexible, and it surrounded by a harder, brittle plastic, the flexible plastic is still intact, but it was the harder plastic that kept it firm on your head.
since it snapped at a weak point, the only way you can repair it is with a bond that was stronger then the plastic to begin with, and that isn't easy.
so what can i do with them?

Sorry to hear about your cans. There was another poster who was frustrated with the durability (or lack thereof) of the 750DJs. Frankly, I think the Shures aren't very well built, and yeh, they are extremely creaky. It certainly doesn't bode well for my long-term confidence in its longevity.

Are you able to glue the plastic extender together?

May 16, 2012 at 8:48 AM Post #8 of 26
Are you able to glue the plastic extender together?

i tried that, it held for a bit, but after a while it gave away again

How did you manage to break it? Do you have any pictures? It would be nice to share this knowledge so others know the weak points of the headphone.

I was just taking them off one day and i herd a snapping sound as it gave away, i wasn't very pleased.

as for pictures

May 16, 2012 at 10:11 AM Post #10 of 26
My roommmate has a pair of 750DJ's too, and wow is it a cheaply made can, no steel band reinforcements, flimsy plastic everywhere - not even good plastic. My M50's which cost about the same are infinitely more durable and rugged in comparison.

May 16, 2012 at 7:23 PM Post #11 of 26
*cries*

I was fooled. I thought the Shures were made of metal, since I could see metals in the cracks. It turns out it's mainly plastic. There's a flexible metal strip in the headband and 2 metal parts bellow the pivots. That's it, everything else is plastic.

Yes I just took my SRH440 apart just to check. Very disappointed. I always take care of my headphones, but I suppose I'll be more gentle with these from now on.

May 16, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #12 of 26
I know a couple of owners of the 750Dj. Man, they are the most fragile headphones i've seen. They broke in less than 8 months. 

May 16, 2012 at 10:20 PM Post #13 of 26
i now wish i went with the m-50's instead...because it was a choice between the two and went with the 750dj's due to raves about how it had better bass and was more "upfront" witch was what i was looking for...but i would of settled with the m-50's if i knew about the big difference in durability.

oh well..i'll stick with my original plan, i was planing on getting a pair of HD 25-1 II

May 17, 2012 at 8:26 AM Post #14 of 26
Quote:
i now wish i went with the m-50's instead...because it was a choice between the two and went with the 750dj's due to raves about how it had better bass and was more "upfront" witch was what i was looking for...but i would of settled with the m-50's if i knew about the big difference in durability.
oh well..i'll stick with my original plan, i was planing on getting a pair of HD 25-1 II

Well, I guess one always has to explore further to get that desired combination of sound/durability/comfort. This is especially true in the world of audio.

I've auditioned the HD 25-1 many times, but I'm not very impressed. As I'm always looking for basshead cans, I don't find it particularly proficient in that department. It handles the low end pretty well, but I don't think its extension and impact are all that great. Still, it's durable as hell, and very light.

May 17, 2012 at 8:50 AM Post #15 of 26
I think you should call Shure I've delt with their customer service before and it's second to none, I've even heard of people getting stuff repaired/fixed when it was out of warranty as well don't they have like a 2 year warranty or something..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back