My favorite Auditioning song
Jan 24, 2012 at 8:55 PM Post #2 of 14
Not bad at all.

It depends on the headphone I'm showing off to some extent, but I usually start someone off with "The Noose" by Perfect Circle. Slow muffled build and at the 1:50 mark it is just luscious!

Nov 4, 2012 at 3:27 PM Post #5 of 14
Super bass by Nicki Minaj :D

Great for bass/rest of the spectrum balance comparisson

Nov 4, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:
cool track, went and got the ep. thanks for the recommendation

u should also realize that this is the man behind the gopro 3 launch video soundtrack,.. actually if u had watched the video u should prolly know already. or if u check electro on soundcloud on a regular basis, it was on top hot tracks list for 2 days after the video launch

Nov 4, 2012 at 9:43 PM Post #8 of 14
For my friends who love bass Puscifer - Indigo Children JLE Dub Mix (or something by Soular Order lately). If they're more into 'band' music I reach for some Union Station or The Beatles. Hey Jude has the most realistic drums I've ever heard.

Nov 4, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #9 of 14
"So What?" by Miles Davis from Kind of Blue, from the bass intro through the ensemble section and well into Miles' first solo. It's an excellent test of balance across the frequency range, the tonal fidelity and acoustic space, all in a couple minutes. And if the system you're trying has the technical chops to cover those details, it should be capable of conveying just how funky a number this track is. Most stereos, including some really fine ones I've tried, tend to make it seem a little downtempo and mellow, but the rhythm section (Paul Chambers and Jimmy Cobb) are driving things like clockwork and the horn players capture that drive every time they blow; if the stereo's got any soul and you're not dead, you should be nodding your head to the beat before the time's up, or you're going to be left feeling a little unsatisfied and maybe can't put your finger on exactly why.

Nov 24, 2012 at 1:58 AM Post #10 of 14
All good stuff here! Somewhat along the lines of the Miles Davis suggestion, I really like to listen to "Live in Paris" by Diana Krall for really high quality recordings. Plus it's live, and it's just unbelievable! I'm not even a big fan of the music, but I can't help myself when it sounds that good.

Nov 24, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:
"So What?" by Miles Davis from Kind of Blue, from the bass intro through the ensemble section and well into Miles' first solo. It's an excellent test of balance across the frequency range, the tonal fidelity and acoustic space, all in a couple minutes. And if the system you're trying has the technical chops to cover those details, it should be capable of conveying just how funky a number this track is. Most stereos, including some really fine ones I've tried, tend to make it seem a little downtempo and mellow, but the rhythm section (Paul Chambers and Jimmy Cobb) are driving things like clockwork and the horn players capture that drive every time they blow; if the stereo's got any soul and you're not dead, you should be nodding your head to the beat before the time's up, or you're going to be left feeling a little unsatisfied and maybe can't put your finger on exactly why.

Nodding your head??? If you're not singing "Soooo what..." along with the the horn, there's something wrong
tongue.gif
I know it's Miles' big hit (and to some, less cool for that) but I bloody adore "So What?"!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back