My experience with Shure's SRH750DJ - now official impressions thread
Oct 11, 2009 at 3:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 108

warrior05

Headphoneus Supremus
11-16-09 EDIT

I started this thread back in October when I made a trip down to the AES Convention and got a chance to spend some time with Shure's new DJ model. I received my pair today and thought I would turn this into an impressions thread.

My original posting is below. You can jump to the start of my thoughts on Shure's latest here.

I was down at the AES convention in NYC at Jacob Javits. I was curious if Shure would have their yet to be released DJ model at their booth and they did. The other nice thing was they had their headphone set up where the various models plugged into an external amp. Therefore, I could unplug them and try them with my music on my 2G iTouch.

Needless to say, the listening environment was not quite optimal.
rolleyes.gif
They did offer a fair amount of isolation which helped and I made sure to keep my listening session to around 15 minutes since I had to jack up the volume. All that being said, I really liked what I heard. I can say this definitively, there are two things about them that I like better than the 840s: 1) lower impedance so easier to drive from my iTouch, and 2) highs are not as bright and harsh.

I have found that the 840s really require an amp to sound their best. Now this may be true with most mid to high end headphones but to my ears, the 840s really need help. That is fine for some but for my use, I was looking for a decent closed 'phone that is easy to drive. Something that would sound fine straight out of my iTouch and gain some refinement from my iMod/Pico combo. I think the new DJs sound markedly better straight from my iTouch than the 840s. Bass has nice presence and is tight. Mids are slightly recessed but I still enjoyed vocals better than on the 840s. And the highs - more palatable than the 840s for my sensitive ears but with nice sparkle and extension.

One real surprise with the DJs - the soundstage was much bigger than expected. No, I'm not talking K701 expansive but for a relatively small closed headphone, they sounded bigger than they have the right to sound.
normal_smile .gif

They also are fast. Kept up with a Venetian Snares track I tried out very nicely indeed.

The build is nice and solid. Swivel action was easy and smooth and all the wiring was kept internal. Made for a nice clean look. The headphones are lighter than the 840s and were very comfy for me. The earpads looked to be the same size as Beyer's to give you all a sense of size.

Packaging will be the same as the SRH840 - extra earpads, carrying case and 1/8" to 1/4" screw on adapter. Yes, same proprietary locking sub-mini jack on the headphone end with a coiled cable. Note here: I tested it and a Neutrik 1/8" plug's casing does fit the cable opening on the 840. Since the DJs share the same cable, I'm assuming the opening is the same. My point is, one can mod these 'phones so you can use an 1/8" Neutrik thereby making an aftermarket cable a piece of cake. Keep in mind though, it is a sub-mini jack inside so that needs to be replaced with an 1/8". But I digress...

So I came away impressed and felt that the DJs fitted my bill quite nicely. They are due out next month. Yes - I am ordering up a pair for myself right away.
biggrin.gif

Oct 11, 2009 at 3:39 AM Post #2 of 108
Thanks for the mini impression. I really like how you said they are less harsh than the SRH840's because I find that their boost in upper mids can get a bit too much. It seems like these may be more to my liking. Few questions, though.

1) How's the isolation? I know you said a fair bit, but I was wondering how they fared in isolation in comparison to the SRH840's.

2) How big are they compared to the SRH840's? One of the very few things (other than the upper-mid peak) I'm not really liking with the 840's is their huge size and heaviness. Would you say they're small enough for outdoor portable use? (I haven't had Beyers so I'm not quite sure on that reference). On that note, how did you like the general comfort against the 840's?

Oct 11, 2009 at 4:05 AM Post #3 of 108
I'll answer the second question first: The DJs look and feel smaller than the 840s. As for actual dimension I don't think is a big size difference but because the difference in style, the DJs offer a smaller profile. I think the 840s look kind of chunky where the DJs look more... umm, open? hard to describe. I would say the DJs would fair better for portable use due to their lighter weight.

As for the first question, I really can't say. I did not try the 840s while I was there since I own a pair. I've worn closed 'phones that isolate better. Like I mentioned, I did have to jack the volume up more than I prefer. Perhaps in a more open environment they would do okay. I was fighting general convention noise as well as some guitarist behind me playing with effects.

Oct 11, 2009 at 4:59 AM Post #4 of 108
wow that sounds kinda promising. i was thinking about whether to return the 840 before deadline or not. The mid-highs of female vocal was face twisting but it is still burning in(a bit more than 60hours). now i 'm definitely returning it and get the 750DJ.
might as well as go to the convention and check it out myself on Monday. Hopefully trains routes are not that messed up

Oct 11, 2009 at 11:56 AM Post #5 of 108
The convention is relatively small I was told (it was my first time going to AES). AKG, Ultrasone, Audio Technica and Sennheiser were there but all of them forced you to listen to their source whatever it was (typically an iPod via lineout into an amp). Maybe it will be less crowded on Monday and somewhat quieter. I got in for free so I can't complain.

Sennheiser had their HD800s available to listen to. When I first passed by I was impressed they had them plugged into a nice Headroom Desktop amp. Then I got a chance to give them a listen and saw the source was a tiny 5g Nano. Hopefully, the songs they had on there were ALAC encoded at least. I didn't like them at all but obviously it wasn't an optimal set-up.

Oct 21, 2009 at 3:24 PM Post #6 of 108
Maybe it is because my Total Bithead is only a portable amp, but I didn't notice any real difference between using it and plugging straight into my Sansa Clip with the SRH840's. I enjoy the treble I get from the SRH840, so I don't know if I would like the new DJ's, however they are mighty attractive, especially from a more compact, portable perspective. I feel a little like a moose when I wear my SRH840's. And maybe the new DJ's will fit better into a portable case like the Slappa, which is a little too small for the SRH840's.

Thanks for sharing your impressions and the tip about the neutrik plug.

Oct 21, 2009 at 7:16 PM Post #7 of 108
So anyone know how much these will cost?

Oct 21, 2009 at 11:39 PM Post #9 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lando3000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most places will sell it for $149.00. I preordered it from Amazon for $119.99, but it is now $149.00.

Nice price! Lucky you!

I pre-ordered mine for $149 with our sponsor, SoundEarphones.com

Oct 26, 2009 at 9:54 PM Post #10 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll answer the second question first: The DJs look and feel smaller than the 840s. As for actual dimension I don't think is a big size difference but because the difference in style, the DJs offer a smaller profile. I think the 840s look kind of chunky where the DJs look more... umm, open? hard to describe. I would say the DJs would fair better for portable use due to their lighter weight.

As for the first question, I really can't say. I did not try the 840s while I was there since I own a pair. I've worn closed 'phones that isolate better. Like I mentioned, I did have to jack the volume up more than I prefer. Perhaps in a more open environment they would do okay. I was fighting general convention noise as well as some guitarist behind me playing with effects.

And how do the SRH7500DJs compare in bass quality to other headphones like the Q40s in that price range?By the way i'm listening to my HFI-580s the most now because of their enhanced bass reproduction and fantastic soundstage do to your work on them.It's amazing that the bass doesn't distort so easily as before.They are truly bullet proof now.
dt880smile.png

Oct 27, 2009 at 4:08 AM Post #11 of 108
Once again, I must stress that my listening experience was not an ideal one in regards to the environment. But from what I heard, the bass quality of the 750DJs sounded similar to the 840s which, to my ears, is very good. I know a number of people feel the 840s are a bit lacking in the bass department. I whole-heartedly disagree. Now if you jump from something like the Q40, one can certainly feel that way. I just think the quality of bass is superior to the Q40s and more balanced.

Difficult for me to offer any kind of comparison with your 580s since yours were the first I had heard.

The thing I'm excited about the DJs is really with their highs. I find the 840s too harsh and a bit sibilant. I also find them a bit demanding in regards to source. I wanted a portable closed solution that was easier to drive and a bit softer up top. The DJs seemed to offer all of the favorable qualities in the 840s but with the easier on my ears highs. Hopefully, once I have them in-house and get to listen to them without distraction, I will feel the same way.

Oct 27, 2009 at 4:17 AM Post #12 of 108
So which has more bass impact Q40 or the Dj's? Also which is the more portable (smaller not easier to drive as I will be using a portable amp) Both are similar price and I am looking at purchasing one of them.

Thanks

Oct 28, 2009 at 1:45 AM Post #13 of 108
Oh, the Q40s definitely have more bass presence but at the sacrifice of quality in comparison to the DJs. By no means are the Q40s a bad 'phone. I was one of the first to grab a pair and loved them but my listening preferences have changed a bit over the past year or so. I'm willing to trade bass weight for bass quality and extension. I've also evolved into preferring cans with some top end sparkle and have found the Q40s to be a bit too rolled off up top.

If you are looking for bass impact the M-Audios will not disappoint and should probably be ahead of the Shures in your regard.

Both are about the same in regards to portability. They both fold and have their own carrying case. The Shure's do swivel where the M-Audios do not if that makes any difference for you. I like the swivel so I can lay the 'phones driver side down.

Oct 28, 2009 at 6:54 AM Post #14 of 108
Thanks for your input warrior05. I've never been an audiophile and never really cared what headphones I used but then I used a pair of Sennheisers and now have really been looking into buying some nice 'phones. I have the Sennheiser 212's but I'm looking for a little more high and low end. If the SRH750DJ is even a little better than the 212's I will be more than happy.

Nov 17, 2009 at 3:44 AM Post #15 of 108
Yes! Finally! I received my brand new pair of Shure's 750DJs today from our sponsor, SoundEarphones.

I guess this is a teaser post because I won't formulate final opinions till after 100 hours or so. I didn't get these on my head till around 8:30 tonight so I've had not even 2 hours of listening time. Initial reactions are very positive though. For those of you who feel like the 840s are lacking some bass quantity well, the DJs are certainly the answer. The bass is quite deep and nearly bottomless and with plenty of presence but I am looking for some tightening up with some time which I fully expect to happen. Mids are where I like them - a tad on the warmish side of neutral - vocals sound very nice. No harshness in the highs but there is sparkle and extension. And yes, these do offer some soundstage. Surprising for a small closed can. Lends to a rather sophisticated sound sig. I've thrown all kinds of genres at them and all were handled quite nicely.

I first started listening to them from my iMod/Pico source which has nothing but V0 MP3s. I'm now listening on my home system - FLAC files through a Squeezebox Duet feeding via coax my Headroom Balanced Desktop. Scaled up quite nicely.

Um... haven't listened via my 3rd gen iTouch yet. Kind of funny to me because part of my reason for initially enjoying these more than the 840s is that I found them easier to drive straight from my iTouch. But I'll get there. I'll be setting them up to burn overnight then throughout the day tomorrow to get a good 20 hours on them and check in on them then.

One thing on the ergonomic side - they have perfect clamping pressure for me. Enough that I can bob emphatically without any worries of them flying off but without feeling like my head is in a vise. One strange thing though: I have the headband extended nearly to the max to fit me. Unusual. Typically I'm around half way. I noticed that the main part of the headband doesn't curve as much as most headphones. This might be problematic for those with large craniums.

Oh, so looking forward to how these settle in. I'm already enjoying them more than the 840s.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back