My experience with different music players.
Mar 21, 2021 at 2:14 AM Post #151 of 205
I have used so many different players over the past 20 years and have been using jriver for several years. I really like it.

May 6, 2021 at 3:35 AM Post #153 of 205
Been tweaking the SFS settings in xxhighend. Buffer at 4096, xq1 at 8 so it feeds 32768 samples to the 32768 sample buffer on my dac. X1 is at 20, increased from the stock configuration of 14. It sounds fantastic and I've got a new found appreciation for my geek out 450 being fed interpolated 352.8/384khz data from xxhighend (geek out is in TCM mode to ensure no pre ring on the dac filter side). I also came across this tool called junilabs audio player. It has a low noise audio player and also a file optimizer.

I am using the file optimizer and running the optimized files through xxhighend. It sounds much better than the stock file. Less of the digital haze (xxhighend by itself is much cleaner than all the other players I've tried, and this goes one step further). I have to make sure only optimized files are loaded in xxhe during playback. If I load a combination of optimized + unoptimized the overall fidelity isn't as good as loading only the optimized file.

I also found that in my system I prefer to have everything at 2x or more optimization cycles even if it takes more time. 1x while mostly better feels a little "light" sounding.

NOTE: I have checked the files and the data is intact (ie bit perfect). This tool is about reducing the intrinsic noise associated with the physical (electromagnetic) structure of the stored data.

Last edited:
May 11, 2021 at 6:50 PM Post #154 of 205
NOTE: I have checked the files and the data is intact (ie bit perfect). This tool is about reducing the intrinsic noise associated with the physical (electromagnetic) structure of the stored data.

enhance.gif

May 12, 2021 at 9:52 PM Post #155 of 205
Considering the effort needed to set up xxhighend properly, I made a set up tutorial here at audiophilestyle if anyone is interested:

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/62886-tutorial-for-setting-up-xxhighend/

It is one of my most favourite audio players, and sounds extremely good. The custom interpolator sounds very natural/realistic with decent recordings imo.

And as mentioned in previous post, I also recommend the Junilabs audio player for good sound on a windows player that's easier to use.

@Thenewguy007 @MetalVGAnime @ok computer @omniweltall @m-i-c-k-e-y @ksb643 @ScareDe2

Last edited:
May 15, 2021 at 10:48 AM Post #156 of 205
Considering the effort needed to set up xxhighend properly, I made a set up tutorial here at audiophilestyle if anyone is interested:

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/62886-tutorial-for-setting-up-xxhighend/

It is one of my most favourite audio players, and sounds extremely good. The custom interpolator sounds very natural/realistic with decent recordings imo.

And as mentioned in previous post, I also recommend the Junilabs audio player for good sound on a windows player that's easier to use.

@Thenewguy007 @MetalVGAnime @ok computer @omniweltall @m-i-c-k-e-y @ksb643 @ScareDe2
Junilabs better than MusicBee, mate?

May 19, 2021 at 2:28 AM Post #159 of 205
I tried Junilabs on windows 7. Honestly speaking I couldn't noticed much difference betweem PlayPcmwin and Junilabs player. The only issue I have with Junilabs is its interface. it does not show track progress bar. I don't know if my Junilabs UI is broken.

Thank you. The junilabs player doesn't support scrubbing afaik, the code is made simple that only play, and exit are supported as interrupts/control and the music is likely played sequentially from memory (like the good old days 😅).

The junilabs player sounds good so does playpcmwin. Both of them are RAM playback based and run on wasapi (or mme if your set junilabs player to mme, but I'll recommend wasapi. I think default setting that comes with installation mme and you might need to manually change to wasapi). So the differences are quite subtle for the most part when it comes to these two players (players running kernel streaming imo sounded better).

What gets me more interested with the juniplayer is not the player itself, but rather the file optimizer that comes with the player. It is another executable in the same folder iirc. The process is you drag and drop a music file, press optimize it'll take two minutes (and advisable to not do any background tasks during this time) and after that the save command will export a new file that is bit identical copy of the original, yet sounds better (to me and a few others who have tried it atleast). You can also do multiple rounds of optimization before saving (I do 3-5x for my music on my machine). Since you would have both the unoptimized and optimized files you could easily a/b between the two and compare. You can use this new file with any music player that copies to RAM directly (like playpcmwin) and plays to enjoy the benefits, as long as you don't move or edit the file (moving between different local drives, making a copy and editing would likely nullify the optimization).

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2021 at 3:35 PM Post #161 of 205
Pretty sick of uLilith's syrupy sound tbh, was nice on D/S such as Sabre but no dice on R2R Soekris.

Went back to 24int WASAPI Excl. Reclock to XMOS and happy happy joy joy all over again, my own IDM tunes in Reaper aren't too far off I think, as opposed to uLilith that sounds way off.

I've been deeply involved in Reclock's betatesting and technically speaking, if your Windows timer runs 0.5ms granularity I can't imagine how you can beat its tightness.

Only problem is no gap-less, c'est la vie

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2021 at 1:10 PM Post #162 of 205
Does anyone know if these claims are actually true? I've been running my hi res music collection off of foobar for two years now and the sound through my dac's asio driver has always been amazing. Does the software actually have an influence over the sound?

Aug 5, 2021 at 8:47 AM Post #163 of 205
Does anyone know if these claims are actually true? I've been running my hi res music collection off of foobar for two years now and the sound through my dac's asio driver has always been amazing. Does the software actually have an influence over the sound?

There's a reason all of the posts here suggesting different bit perfect player "sound different" are based on the listeners sighted subjective impressions and not objective data...

Software can be designed to intentionally alter sound away from accurate reproduction, but who would want that?

Aug 5, 2021 at 9:40 AM Post #164 of 205
One simple test for you is have someone else put the WASAPI add on on your Foobar2000 set up and see if it makes a difference. Then have them take it out or don’t take it out. The timing from WASAPI implementation has been a big benefit for me personally.

https://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_out_wasapi

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back