My Emu 0404 USB 2.0 is being wasted: suggestions?
Jan 16, 2009 at 8:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Abouna

500+ Head-Fier
I've had this unit for a while now and rarely use it to it's potential (never actually). I'm using it strictly as a USB DAC and AMP. I'd like to replace it with something more compact and less complex (I'm just not using a tenth of what it can do).

Are there any good but inexpensive desktop DAC/AMP combos? Need not be portable but must have A/C power.

Jan 16, 2009 at 9:01 PM Post #2 of 15
...So because a product has a feature or features you don't use, you feel sorry for the product and must find a simpler one?

If anything I'd suggest getting yourself a proper amp to plug into your 0404.
tongue.gif

Jan 16, 2009 at 9:07 PM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taikero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...So because a product has a feature or features you don't use, you feel sorry for the product and must find a simpler one?

If anything I'd suggest getting yourself a proper amp to plug into your 0404.
tongue.gif

Well no, it's just a bit overkill size wise on my desktop. Something more compact with just DAC and AMP would be nice. I don;t need all the knobs and inputs of the 0404.

As for the amp, the 0404 handles things quite nicely.

Jan 16, 2009 at 10:22 PM Post #6 of 15
anything you replace it with will probably be INFERIOR.

I just got my 0404 and mostly love it. I hate that fact that it needs a computer to SET the samplerate (what genius thought THAT one up...) but once you lock it to 44.1, say, it plays audio just fine standalone. that was my only real gripe on playback.

the dac is hard to beat for the price.

for size, though, you may want to consider the AMB gamma1. its performs well and can even drive hd580/650 phones directly (not super well but it can be done).

Jan 16, 2009 at 10:25 PM Post #7 of 15
Now that I think of it, if you wanted to save desk space you could come up with a holder/stand so you could stand it on its side. That way you only lose vertical space (Which doesn't really matter anyway).

Jan 20, 2009 at 10:50 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by linuxworks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
anything you replace it with will probably be INFERIOR.

I just got my 0404 and mostly love it. I hate that fact that it needs a computer to SET the samplerate (what genius thought THAT one up...) but once you lock it to 44.1, say, it plays audio just fine standalone. that was my only real gripe on playback.

Well, it is a computer device so makes sense to me. But you can get it to sync to a different sample rate without using the software by turning the power switch off/on when the audio is playing at the new sample rate.

Jan 20, 2009 at 10:53 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Abouna /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've had this unit for a while now and rarely use it to it's potential (never actually). I'm using it strictly as a USB DAC and AMP. I'd like to replace it with something more compact and less complex (I'm just not using a tenth of what it can do).

Are there any good but inexpensive desktop DAC/AMP combos? Need not be portable but must have A/C power.

Here you go.

Fubar III USB DAC / Headphone Amplifier - USB DAC - Headphone Amp - USB Audio - Headphone Amplifier

Jan 20, 2009 at 1:40 PM Post #11 of 15
Jan 20, 2009 at 5:55 PM Post #12 of 15
Yea, noticed that after I posted the url. All their other products have a price and button to order so guess that item is not in stock just yet. Email them and ask about it. Friend of mine just ordered their iCute headphone amp from them 2 days ago.

Jan 23, 2009 at 1:30 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkweg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, it is a computer device so makes sense to me. But you can get it to sync to a different sample rate without using the software by turning the power switch off/on when the audio is playing at the new sample rate.

milkweg,

You appear to be quite the E-MU 0404 expert, so please help me out, as this is driving me nuts! I can't get my 0404 back to this state:

attachment.php

from this state:

attachment.php

All of a sudden, I've got the blinking sync status light going every time I change the sample rate to 44.1 from 48. This happened all of a sudden after having been synced properly (and stayed synced, first photo above) since I hooked it up almost two weeks ago. I tried your suggestion, but it doesn't work for me. I am going optical out from AV-710 into 0404. Like I said, it was fine until last night, when it just changed. I'm the type that likes to try to figure things out myself, but I've tried everything I can think of and right now I'm clueless
confused.gif

Any help you can provide would be great...and much appreciated.

Jan 23, 2009 at 2:39 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoreman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm the type that likes to try to figure things out myself, but I've tried everything I can think of and right now I'm clueless
confused.gif

Figured it out...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back